• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
This is, in fact, railway-related:

Who boasted of serving "the drier side", and why?

Calthrop

Established Member
Absolutely right -- the LNER, feeling itself to be a bit short-changed scenically in comparison with the LMS and Great Western, homed in on something in which it could, perceivedly, beat them.

Your floor.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
On this day in 1836, what sad event happened at Great Corby near Carlisle, and what was it's significance?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I thought that someone have got this, but it seems not?

The answer (at least according to my source) is that it was the first accident involving a train where passengers on the train were killed when the train crashed.

However, I'm happy to be corrected, so I'll declare an Open Line!

Calthrop

Established Member
For all of my knowledge of bad stuff around Carlisle 182 years ago -- you're thoroughly right ! Does your "Open Line" also betoken "Open Floor"? -- I have a possible question, if so.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

When Argentina's railways were nationalised in 1948 (many of them British-owned -- a controversial issue at the time): there was nomenclature-wise, a procedure with some resemblance to Britain's "Grouping" -- six new, big "Railways" in -- mostly -- different zones or patches of the country, were established. Each "Railway" was named after a prominent figure in Argentine history -- usually military types. This prompted the late A.E. Durrant to comment rather sniffily, to the effect of "barmy South Americans, obsessed with politics and military matters".

In each case, the guy's surname was the most prominent and generally used part of the title: thus, had there been a "Ferrocarril General Fred Nerk", that railway would have been generally referred to just as the "Nerk". Please give the names of three of these "Railways" of post-1948 Argentina. (Additional info welcomed but not required !)

Calthrop

Established Member
well the only Argentine General I know is Snr Belgrano ...

He's one on the list: as well as his name being given to the ship which met an unfortunate end, Argentina's metre-gauge railways (mostly, from Buenos Aires to the north-west) were named after him.

Clues for a couple more -- one name is after that of a saint, and refers to a big hero of the original wars of independence against Spain.
Another: the word looks like that for something worn by a bishop.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm not completely familiar with the apparel of Bishops, but I do know that they wear a Cope (I think that's the outer garment?) and a Mitre (the hat), but what the connection is with the question, I haven't a clue!

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm not completely familiar with the apparel of Bishops, but I do know that they wear a Cope (I think that's the outer garment?) and a Mitre (the hat), but what the connection is with the question, I haven't a clue!

You have it with the headgear. Gentleman concerned, is Bartolome Mitre (1821 -- 1906) -- Argentinian politician, military guy, and author. He "got" the 5ft. 6in. gauge area generally north-west from B.A., but south of the Belgrano metre-gauge system.

Calthrop

Established Member
To be scrupulously fair, and mentioning for the record: martinsh got one of my "Argie nonsense" things without a hint -- you, EbbwJunction1, did so with a hint. Any alteration seen there, with what happens next?

krus_aragon

Established Member
To be scrupulously fair, and mentioning for the record: martinsh got one of my "Argie nonsense" things without a hint -- you, EbbwJunction1, did so with a hint. Any alteration seen there, with what happens next?
I suspect EbbwJunction1 was so shocked to be correct that they didn't remember that you'd asked for three names.

As the question setter, it's your call.

Calthrop

Established Member
I think the end of the road has been reached re Argentine railway systems -- as per discussion above, I reckon, martinsh's floor.

In order to be boring to complete things: Argentina's other post-1948 "Railways" --

San Martin: 5ft. 6in. gauge, due west from Buenos Aires. Sarmiento: 5ft. 6in. gauge, W-S-W from B.A. Roca: 5ft. 6in. gauge, generally south of B.A. Urquiza: four-feet-eight-and-a-half-inch gauge, due north of B.A. Assorted relatively short, less-than-metre-gauge, bits-and-bobs, included in various Railways.

krus_aragon

Established Member
You're not THAT far out. Try looking at an Underground map of the early 1920s to see what did / didn't exist at that time
We seem to be in the days before the Circle line. It wouldn't be extending District line services north from High St Kensington, would it?