• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Was it something to do with the closure of Bishop's Road station? (It's a big guess, because I don't know whether it closed at the same time!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Was it part of the "Northern Heights" scheme that was planned, but never completed?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Circle Line began in 1884 ! More specifically think of what services Metropolitan Railway ran in the early 20s

I should have known that; I think my brain was trying to articulate the fact that the circle line wasn't shown separately on a tube map back then, and/or that that engines were swapped elsewhere (HS Kensington?) at first.

Nevertheless, after some further reading, I've learned that when the Met was suffering from congestion along its two-track line south of Finchley Road, they initially planned to divert their fast lines from Willesden Green to Edgeware Road along a new alignment. It didn't go ahead, and eventually a new bore from Baker Street to Finchley Road was built instead.

martinsh

Established Member
I should have known that; I think my brain was trying to articulate the fact that the circle line wasn't shown separately on a tube map back then, and/or that that engines were swapped elsewhere (HS Kensington?) at first.

Nevertheless, after some further reading, I've learned that when the Met was suffering from congestion along its two-track line south of Finchley Road, they initially planned to divert their fast lines from Willesden Green to Edgeware Road along a new alignment. It didn't go ahead, and eventually a new bore from Baker Street to Finchley Road was built instead.
Bravo ! We have a winner !

BTW, I'm told the old-style "flapping" platform indicators at Edgware Road used to be able to show such destinations as Aylesbury and Chesham

Your sub-surface interchange station

krus_aragon

Established Member
Thanks.

Moving a little forward in time:

During World War II's "blitz", what speed limits were imposed on GWR passenger trains during an air raid (Air Raid Warning "Red")?
Note that different rules applied during black-out hours.

The rules may have been the same for other companies too, but my source is a GWR instruction book.

Ken H

On Moderation
... It didn't go ahead, and eventually a new bore from Baker Street to Finchley Road was built instead.

The bypass was built by the LPTB as a new branch for the Bakerloo, taking over the Stanmore branch at the same time, This was part of the new works programme, designed to relieve unemployment. At the same time the Bakerloo took over the Mets Stanmore branch.

The LPTB wasnt publicly owned, but was private. It was nationalised on 1948, same as BR. Weird sort of public private partnership, maybe a little like Network Rail was when Byers created it.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I think that I've seen 25mph?
That's about it. From the GWR Air Raid Precautions Special Instructions for the Working Of Railways In Wartime (December 1940):
GWR said:
11. Movement of Traffic
On recepit of an Air Raid Warning "Red" and until receipt of Air Raid Message "White" the following instructions apply:-
(i)Trains conveying passengers must be stopped at the first signal box and the Driver or Drivers in the case of double-headed trains and the Rear Guard (also Driver of an engine assisting in the rear, if any) must be informed of the circumstances by the Signalman and instructed to proceed cautiously at a speed not exceeding the following:-
During non-black-out hours ..... 25 m.p.h.
During black-out hours ..... 15 m.p.h.
Non-passenger trains and light engines followed the same 25mph/15mph limits if they were fitted with automatic brake, or a blanket 15mph if not.

One can imagine the chaos of trying to operate any semblance of a timetable during Air Raid Warnings!

In a supplement dated 17th April 1944, the reduced threat of aerial bombing and/or the inconvenience of operation had seen the speed limits revised to normal speed during non-black-out hours, or 30mph during black-out.

EbbwJunction1, you may give the all-clear signal.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Okay, thanks … let's try this one:

I thought that I might have had a few guesses for this one, but never mind … here (in bold) are the answers.

Between September 1940 and January 1941, twelve GWR Castle Class locomotives were renamed after RAF aircraft that had taken part in the Battle of Britain. Can you name the following, please:
1. The only American aircraft type name to be used? Lockheed Hudson
2. The only survivor of the twelve? 5080 Defiant
3. The two out and out fighters' names to be used? Spitfire (5071) and Hurricane (5072)
4. The three out and out bombers' names to be used? Blenheim (5073), Hampden (5074) and Wellington (5075)
5. The first to be withdrawn? Lysander (5079)
6. The last to be withdrawn? Gladiator (5076)
(In all cases, can you give the number and the name, please.)

Best of luck!

I'll declare an open erecting shop.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
IBMOOCBDAIFTACILRGBHKKFASGJTGJW
For a few months more, the sequence will look like this - but what is the sequence?

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
This ought to make it a bit easier:

IBMOOCBDAIFTACxIxLRxGBHKxKxFAxSxGJTGJW

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
I seem to be intellectually stuck on the first three letters, and can't think of other than IBM or IBM, neither of which seem to be helping me. :rolleyes:

Do the 'x's you've inserted indicate where the sequence will change after "a few months more"?

backontrack

Established Member
I seem to be intellectually stuck on the first three letters, and can't think of other than IBM or IBM, neither of which seem to be helping me. :rolleyes:

Do the 'x's you've inserted indicate where the sequence will change after "a few months more"?
I'm afraid not.

Where might you see such 'x's in a timetable?

Here's that sequence again, improved slightly:

IB[MOO][CB]DAIFTACxIxLRxGBHKxKxFAxSx[GJ]T[GJ]W