• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
I know, but I can't get what I assume to be CRS codes to work, so I thought they were with the middle lettterissing maybe, replaced with an X

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A very, very, easy one here this time:

Name the furthest point from London to which any of the lines which constitute the present day London underground operated.

AndrewE

Established Member
I'll resist the temptation to ask one about the Manchester club trains, so
Which railway cutting was the deepest in the world when built (and remained so for some years?)
Apparently it was not tunnelled because of the need for lots of good stone to build the structures on the line!

AndrewE

Established Member
Could it be Talerddigg on the Cambrian? (About 100 feet with once near vertical sides.)
Correct, although I have seen 120 ft deep quoted in several places. My book says tunnelling was reckoned to be cheaper beyond about 60 ft depth, but they wanted the stone anyway.
Your go...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Sorry, I was away for a bit and hadn't realised I had won the last question.

In that case -

What was Rondout, Illinois on the Milwaukee Road once famous for?

Calthrop

Established Member
I couldn't resist Googling re Rondout, Illinois; which I felt disqualified me from directly answering. However -- in the light of your clue -- the Wiki item shows a sign at that place; which if I'm correct, gives particulars of a dramatic railway-related event there nearly a hundred years ago.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I couldn't resist Googling re Rondout, Illinois; which I felt disqualified me from directly answering. However -- in the light of your clue -- the Wiki item shows a sign at that place; which if I'm correct, gives particulars of a dramatic railway-related event there nearly a hundred years ago.

Actually that's news to me, signs to do with an event that took place there - do you know what the event was?

The sign boards I was thinking of related to train operations specifically.

Calthrop

Established Member
Train robbery with biggest "haul" from any such, in US history, 14th June 1924; carried out on mail train ex Chicago, where the perpetrators had boarded the train. Some $2 million in cash, jewellery and securities, was stolen.

AndrewE

Established Member
Seeing the number of lines that met there I wondered if the actual station name boards were the biggest physically (if they listed all the participating railways?)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Train robbery with biggest "haul" from any such, in US history, 14th June 1924; carried out on mail train ex Chicago, where the perpetrators had boarded the train. Some $2 million in cash, jewellery and securities, was stolen.

Thank you very much, I'd never heard of this event.

Seeing the number of lines that met there I wondered if the actual station name boards were the biggest physically (if they listed all the participating railways?)

I think I've been too ambiguous; the sign boards are to do with the operation of trains themselves, one could say the safe operation of trains. Additionally I feel I should add they no longer exist, certainly they wouldn't be needed for the line as it presently is.

AndrewE

Established Member
It apparently had a very early signal box/interlocking with lots of lines converging, so maybe biggest signal gantry/most signals? (a bit like Rugby in the UK)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It apparently had a very early signal box/interlocking with lots of lines converging, so maybe biggest signal gantry/most signals? (a bit like Rugby in the UK)

I'm sorry, but no, that's not it. What I had in mind was introduced at the location when the Hiawathas started operating.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Were they some form of warning signs instructing drivers to stop at a particular place or not to take a particular line?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The Hiawathas were renowned for their fast running, therefore what sort of a warning sign might relate to that?