• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveyBee131

OK, let's try this one...

The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire brought the railway to Cleethorpes in 1863. They brought something else to the town in 1885, but what?

krus_aragon

Established Member
OK, let's try this one...

The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire brought the railway to Cleethorpes in 1863. They brought something else to the town in 1885, but what?
A shot in the dark: electricity?

(Rationale: if they electrified their railway, they might have offered electric light to the town, or similar)

DerekC

Established Member
Was there once a ferry across the Humber from Cleethorpes? Or even across the North Sea to Holland or Denmark? In which case maybe a ferry terminal?

SteveyBee131

I don't think there was, or at least I haven't found out about it yet if there was. The Pier is in the right part of town for the building we're looking for :D, but the building isn't boat related :?:

AndrewE

Established Member
A public water supply? (or if it's a building, a swimming pool and bath-house?)

SteveyBee131

So we're looking for a building the railway brought to Cleethorpes in 1885. It is some sort of public building, but it's not plumbed in. It's close to the Pier, and in some ways could be similar. Lots of great ideas so far, but none correct.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I confess that I've asked Mr W Pedia about this, and he's said the following: "Ross Castle, a mock ruin of a castle built in 1885 by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, was named after Edward Ross, secretary of the railway company."

I confess that I haven't a clue why the railway built a castle or why they named it after Edward Ross, but if I'm right, I'll declare an open fortification!

SteveyBee131

You're absolutely right @EbbwJunction1, Ross Castle was built in Cleethorpes by the Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway in 1885.

From what I can gather, being local to the area (and so perhaps having a slight advantage of access to local handed down knowledge), it was built when Pier Gardens were made in the area near to the Pier. However there was a steep bank of ground, almost cliff-like in nature, which would otherwise have been quite difficult to access to make the most of the views at the top. Being keen to continue making the area attractive to visitors wishing to savour those views, the idea of a folly made like castle ruins was somehow born to make this area accessible.

I must confess, I didn't realize it would be quite so cryptic, but at the same time it's been great to see the ideas and possibilities coming forward. Well done everyone.

Open floor it is :D

Calthrop

Established Member
I'd have said that the factor in common, was the extremely rare 4 ft. gauge -- gauge of the very-much-still-with us Glasgow Subway underground passenger line (locally nicknamed the "Clockwork Orange"); and the long-abandoned Redruth & Chacewater mineral line in Cornwall; with the third line on said gauge, being the Stratford (on Avon) & Moreton Tramway, opened as a horse-worked freight line at the very dawn of the railway age, later taken in part into the GWR and converted to standard "4-8-and-a-half". I Googled just to be sure re the Stratford & Moreton; and was told that it was "4-8-and-a-half" from the very first. Some puzzlement obtains !

DerekC

Established Member
@Calthrop you are (as far as I am concerned) spot on. My copy of "Narrow Gauge Railways of Britain and Ireland" says 4ft 0in for the Stratford and Moreton, with conversion to standard gauge for the remaining bits after takeover by the OW&WR.

So your track (gauge left to personal choice).

PS - I wondered why the S&M was included in above said volume when many other tramways are not. I presume that it's because the S&M was an edge railway (rather than a plateway) from the beginning.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
@Calthrop you are (as far as I am concerned) spot on. My copy of "Narrow Gauge Railways of Britain and Ireland" says 4ft 0in for the Stratford and Moreton, with conversion to standard gauge for the remaining bits after takeover by the OW&WR.

Looking again at Google: I see a couple of sources there, indeed telling of the S & M as standard gauge from the very first; one recounting as per you above (originally 4 ft., remaining parts "standardised" after OW&W takeover); the rest, not specific about gauge. This is going to niggle somewhat, now !

Quite seriously: the only question I can think of just now, is gauge-related -- maybe someone else could vary the theme -- so, I'll ask for an open floor.

Marton

Since no one has posted I’ll have a go

What is the significance of Warthill in railway history.

Calthrop

Established Member
What is the significance of Warthill in railway history.

Interchange point between the NER, later LNER, York --Market Weighton -- Beverley line; and the Sand Hutton Light Railway: 18 in. gauge in its final form, earlier narrower gauge and essentially miniature-style -- active basically in 1910s / 20s/ early 30s.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Was it the point where two railway companies met and a special ceremony was held when they did?