• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I can't think and don't know of a train that links this. But could it be to do with either the battle of the boyne and the Gregorian calendar been formed there and "twelfth" sticking still. So may be number 12 ?

341o2

Established Member
What does a major UK rail disaster and a Cornish thatched cottage adjacent to a railway line have in common

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
The answer is Spitfire

No. 34066 was the locomotive involved in the Lewisham disaster of 1957, when the driver overran signals and collided with the Charing X to Hayes EMU, the accident demolished the Nunhead flyover and a third train fell onto the wreckage of the first two.

The other Spitfire was on the Redruth & Chasewater railway, when the line changed from horse to steam traction, the line's two four coupled locomotives had to work hard, scattering ash and cinders. as a result, a thatched cottage was in danger of being set alight, the railway was persuaded to demolish it and rebuild it at a safe distance from the line. Hence the name of the third locomotive.

I could have reworded the question as Spitfire was involved in the only fatal accident on the R&C. A couple of wagons would be left by a works which had no siding, on return, they would be propelled back to Devoran. The road had been relaid, but the level crossing flangeways were not cleared, with the result that the wagons derailed and the brakeman received injuries which were fatal. However, many minor lines never had a single fatlity or serious injury - the only one I can think of involving gross negligence was that on the Campbeltown and Machrihanish.

I'm declaring open floor

Calthrop

Established Member
I'll do a "gauge-y" one: a theme of which I'm fond.

Which British public narrow-gauge line was on an (unusual) gauge which was almost-but-not-exactly half the British / European / North American standard gauge?

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
A most rapid response -- and, absolutely right -- 2 ft. 4-and-a-half in.

Your floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
With effect from 2006: highest point on Earth reached by a rail route. On China's new main line to Lhasa -- 5068 m. above sea level; surpassing the Central Railway of Peru's former 4829 m. record.

341o2

Established Member
You are right, maybe I should have made the question a bit more difficult by naming the four highest locations reached by rail past and present

La Cima, Central Railway of Peru 15,806ft
Puno Alto on the Collahuasi branch Antifogasta - La Paz railway 15,835 (closed)
Volcan Mine branch Central Railway of Peru 15,848 (closed)
Qinghai to Tibet 16,627

Your floor

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

A current thread in the "Railway History & Nostalgia" forum, on the subject of 3 ft. gauge in Britain, took an unexpected side-turning into the subject of naval warfare in the World War I era. It was recounted in the course thereof, that many British warships at that date used for fuel as standard practice, both coal and oil, complementing each other -- the oil largely to give an extra boost when needed: including starting-off combustion, where oil was sprayed onto a bed of hot coal.

There was a particular country which, for the last few decades of its employing steam on rail; had, in essentials, the above-described practice as standard on its steam loco fleet. Which was the country?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Next question:

In Great Britain's post-privatisation era, which company has operated passenger services for the longest period?