• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
It wouldn't, I suppose, be anything to do with the Rev. Awdry's Small Engine? Date of closure of the line which the loco which inspired P the SE, belonged to??

AndrewE

Established Member
It wouldn't, I suppose, be anything to do with the Rev. Awdry's Small Engine? Date of closure of the line which the loco which inspired P the SE, belonged to??
Or birth date of the author, or maybe more likely the build date of the loco that inspired the story?
Sorry everyone for not posting a question, I made a cheating guess at the last minute before going away & should have said "open floor if correct!"

DerekC

Established Member

You are heading in precisely the right direction

Or birth date of the author, or maybe more likely the build date of the loco that inspired the story?"

But not quite there yet!

Calthrop

Established Member
Guessing from what I know re approximate dates: date of W. Awdry's ordination as a C of E clergyman?

DerekC

Established Member
Guessing from what I know re approximate dates: date of W. Awdry's ordination as a C of E clergyman?

Interesting idea, but not that.

And/or was the engine Percy named after a friend of the Reverend? (A frieverend???)

I hadn't ever wondered who the engines were named after.

The link relates to an event early in Percy's working life (just read the story to my grandson).

Calthrop

Established Member
I don't know anything about Percy's episode -- was never much of a fan of the "Railway Series" -- but for some reason there comes to my mind the summer-1936 happening on the Somerset & Dorset, between Wellow / Midford and Bath -- driverless runaway empty-wagons train, happily nobody hurt and quite an element of farce. (Recounted, I'd thought, in Rolt's Red For Danger; but I can't seem to find it in the edition that I have.) Only: Wiki says that this event took place on July 29th 1936; you cite August 4th.

DerekC

Established Member
I don't know anything about Percy's episode -- was never much of a fan of the "Railway Series" -- but for some reason there comes to my mind the summer-1936 happening on the Somerset & Dorset, between Wellow / Midford and Bath -- driverless runaway empty-wagons train, happily nobody hurt and quite an element of farce. (Recounted, I'd thought, in Rolt's Red For Danger; but I can't seem to find it in the edition that I have.) Only: Wiki says that this event took place on July 29th 1936; you cite August 4th.

That's spot on! It is on p136 of my copy of Red for Danger, which quotes the date of 4th August. The incident took place at Braysdown Colliery Siding and involved a heavy freight headed by an ex S&DR 2-8-0 overrunning signals and approaching head-on a "Jinty" 0-6-0T on a short empty wagon train, standing "wrong road" (presumably in course of a shunt). The crew of both locos baled out, but not until the Jinty driver had opened his regulator full in reverse gear. The Jinty ran nearly all the way to Bath without hitting anything, losing most of the wagons on the way!

Awdry converted this into a head-on confrontation between Gordon and Percy, caused by "Percy failing to whistle to let the signalman know he was there" (sounds more like a failure to comply with Rule 55 to me).

Your road.

Calthrop

Established Member
That's spot on! It is on p136 of my copy of Red for Danger, which quotes the date of 4th August. The incident took place at Braysdown Colliery Siding and involved a heavy freight headed by an ex S&DR 2-8-0 overrunning signals and approaching head-on a "Jinty" 0-6-0T on a short empty wagon train, standing "wrong road" (presumably in course of a shunt). The crew of both locos baled out, but not until the Jinty driver had opened his regulator full in reverse gear. The Jinty ran nearly all the way to Bath without hitting anything, losing most of the wagons on the way!

Awdry converted this into a head-on confrontation between Gordon and Percy, caused by "Percy failing to whistle to let the signalman know he was there" (sounds more like a failure to comply with Rule 55 to me).

Your road.

Thanks ! Now found it in my RFD -- p. 136, as yours -- chapter "Other Men's Responsibilities", to which I seemed blind when looking yesterday. Re dates, I'd definitely back Rolt against Wikipedia...

Question: two metre-gauge railways, geographically at as pretty well totally-opposite corners of France, as it's possible to be. One long-closed, one still active today. A steam locomotive from the former has been preserved, and is stationed on the latter; on which it does some working of steam tourist trains. Please identify the two rail undertakings concerned. "Bonus points" for details re the loco.

Calthrop

Established Member
For a brief moment, I thought we were talking about a metric version of Brunel's broad gauge. :oops:

In the World War II era, the Nazis dreamed of and drew up plans for, three-metre-gauge main lines spanning the Eurasian continent; but those folks were altogether a bit strange...

DerekC

Established Member
Well, with a bit of research in Minor Railways of France and a lot of guesswork - I think the railways involved might be the Reseau Breton (closed) and the Chemins de Fer de Provence (open). I recall reading somewhere that the latter runs steam hauled trains in the summer, but that's as far as I can get.

Calthrop

Established Member
You're absolutely right with the railways involved -- at the north-western and south-eastern, very extremities of France. The preserved loco is one of the Reseau Breton's lovely 4-6-0Ts, built 1904 -- 1909: works some summer steam tourist trains on the CF Provence (they also have a Portuguese Mallet 2-4-6-0T on those duties).

Question was, re the railways -- the loco, as said, just "bonus". Your floor.

DerekC

Established Member
Well, since nobody else has come up with anything...

When, in which country and on what line was the combination of iron rails and flanged wheels used for the first time? (within five years will do for the date)

Trackman

Established Member
no-one has had a guess, so UK circa 1820 - I have no clue about the line, am I near?

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ll go for somewhere in Prussia in 1740?
(No idea at all though really)

DerekC

Established Member
England... Surrey Iron Railway...?

Not England - and about ten years earlier than the Surrey Iron. And more importantly we are looking for an edge railway (plain track with flanged wheels) whereas the Surrey Iron Railway, despite its name, was a plateway (plain wheels with flanged track).

Hint - we are looking at an area where a lot of railway history was made and some of the earliest locomotives were built.

DerekC

Established Member
Totally out of the blue -- Wales -- Pen-y-Darren?

I think I ought to give it to you. It was the private railway from the Dowlais ironworks to Merthyr Tydfil. It was opened in 1791. The gauge was probably about 3' 6'' and it used iron rails made at the works, said to be the first all-iron edge rails in the world. Up to then railways had had wooden tracks, often with iron protecting plates fixed to the top of the wooden rail. The Pen-y-Darren was opened in 1802, but by that time Benjamin Outram had persuaded owners that tramroads with plate rails were far better, so the P-y-D was built as a plateway and the Dowlais ironworks lines were converted to plateways also, to allow through running. It's a really interesting piece of railway history. Ironically, in around 1832 once George and Robert Stephenson had demonstrated the superiority of the edge railway for locomotive haulage, the P-y-D owners and the Dowlais ironworks started to convert their lines to standard gauge edge railways and at one point had some kind of compound rail, with a standard gauge edge track on the outside and a plateway on the inside. I imagine they had trains with an edge rail loco hauling plateway wagons. I have no idea what they did at junctions!!

Your track (configuration and gauge to taste)

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Your track (configuration and gauge to taste)

Thanks -- but as said, it came to me out of nowhere, plus a little bit of suggesting from your Post #8365. I'm not even all that interested in this aspect of the railway hobby -- which you plainly are, and are highly knowledgeable about it. I'll say, open floor please.

Trackman

Established Member
Open floor so..

In Britain’s railway history which locomotive name has been used the most times?
Unofficial names do not count and it has to be the exact same name.
Loco names as in like ‘City of London’, ‘Lord President’ etc..

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Open floor so..

In Britain’s railway history which locomotive name has been used the most times?
Unofficial names do not count and it has to be the exact same name.
Loco names as in like ‘City of London’, ‘Lord President’ etc..
Great question. City of London..? (Only joking)
What about ‘Great Eastern’?