• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
Bleanau Ffestiniog, Aberystwyth, anywhere on the line to Mallaig when the Jacobite is running, plus Bodmin Parkway if you count Aber as a separate station.
doh! skip-read (and missed) electric!

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
Name four different types of articulated steam locomotives which were constructed and used in service

341o2

Established Member
You're right - should have made it 5 as I included the Kitson Meyer.
There also was the Pechot Bourdon, but this is considered to basically be a Fairlie
your steeply graded, lightly laid track

Nick_C

There is a short (96 chains) length of railway in the UK which was built and owned jointly by two pre-grouping companies, but had services operated by a different two companies. Where, and which were the four companies involved?

Calthrop

Established Member
Ryde Pier Head -- Ryde Esplanade -- Ryde St. John's Road: London & South Western and London, Brighton & South Coast joint; but operated by Isle of Wight Railway and Isle of Wight Central Railway?

Calthrop

Established Member
Switching to another British Isle widely reckoned quirky and charming, including by railfans -- on the Isle of Man: on how many different gauges have on-rails passenger services operated?

Enthusiast

Name 3 National Rail stations where you can see both steam locomotives and electric trains
You could add a fourth - Smallbrook Junction, IOW. Steam locos from the IOW Steam railway and ex-LU 1938 stock (for the moment) on the Ryde-Shanklin line.

xotGD

Established Member
Switching to another British Isle widely reckoned quirky and charming, including by railfans -- on the Isle of Man: on how many different gauges have on-rails passenger services operated?
Thinks of a number greater than zero and under ten...

Four?

Calthrop

Established Member
The figure I was thinking of, was four. 3 feet : most railways -- electric, and "not" -- and tram routes. 3ft. 6in. : Snaefell Mountain Railway. 1ft. 11-and-a-half in. : Groudle Glen Railway. 4 feet 8-and-a-half-in. : Douglas Southern Electric Tramway (Douglas -- Port Soderick via coastal route: ceased running on outbreak of war in 1939, and never reopened). @xotGD, your figure agrees with mine: so it would seem proper that you take the floor. If there's anything legitimate on one or more other gauges, of which I've been unaware (I'm not thinking "pier miniature railways" or such stuff), maybe that could be discussed.

xotGD

Established Member
The figure I was thinking of, was four. 3 feet : most railways -- electric, and "not" -- and tram routes. 3ft. 6in. : Snaefell Mountain Railway. 1ft. 11-and-a-half in. : Groudle Glen Railway. 4 feet 8-and-a-half-in. : Douglas Southern Electric Tramway (Douglas -- Port Soderick via coastal route: ceased running on outbreak of war in 1939, and never reopened). @xotGD, your figure agrees with mine: so it would seem proper that you take the floor. If there's anything legitimate on one or more other gauges, of which I've been unaware (I'm not thinking "pier miniature railways" or such stuff), maybe that could be discussed.
If 4 is correct your knowledge based answer is more deserving than my random guess!

Calthrop

Established Member
@xotGD: nobody has come in informing, with chapter-and-verse, that it was more than four. So, yours -- with three legs, no tail, and a fairy retinue -- to set about question-setting.

Nick_C

There is one more on the IOM - the Laxey Mine railway has passenger services, and is 19" gauge. I did have to google that though!

Calthrop

Established Member
There is one more on the IOM - the Laxey Mine railway has passenger services, and is 19" gauge. I did have to google that though!

I was unaware of this one, or as near as makes no difference -- also needed to resort to Google. Being a dreadful purist -- some would say, a miserable curmudgeon -- I'm inclined to see this line in its present passenger guise, as latter-day "circus" or "plastic", and not to count it -- but perhaps I should be more broad-minded :smile:.

DerekC

Established Member
Queen Victoria died at Osborne on the Isle of Wight. In the journey to London her coffin is said to have been treated in two ways which she would have found disrespectful. What were they, and why did they happen?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
One of those would have been going faster than the speed at which she ordered the Royal Train should not exceed with herself on board.

The other I don't know - so I would hazard a guess that at some point it was moving head first rather than feet first?