• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Which Class 60 locos had these plates and what sector were they in along with others ?

Elizabeth Fry
Joseph Lister
Anthony Ashley Cooper
Complete guess to move things on:

Construction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for giving it a go - unfortunately wrong loco no's and sector
I didn’t do too well there did I..? :lol:
Everyone knows I’m a man of action - so I’m going to sleep on it.
Am I allowed to dig an old Platform 5 book out tomorrow to look it up (I promise I won’t google it)?

I didn’t do too well there did I..? :lol:
Everyone knows I’m a man of action - so I’m going to sleep on it.
Am I allowed to dig an old Platform 5 book out tomorrow to look it up (I promise I won’t google it)?
Go for it

Thanks for looking - sorry you couldn't find the gen you needed

Clue: These loco's were very frequent visitors on a freight only line in Southern England - that should help with the sector too !

xotGD

Established Member
I reckon the odds of my successfully guessing all three locos correctly is over 970,000 to 1.

So I don't think it is worth trying!

But I'll guess the sector as Pertroleum.

I reckon the odds of my successfully guessing all three locos correctly is over 970,000 to 1.

So I don't think it is worth trying!

But I'll guess the sector as Pertroleum.
You have the sector correct - 60024/60025/60033 were the loco's on the Totton to Fawley line

The floor is yours

xotGD

Established Member
Sticking with Tugs, which Class 60 was renumbered to 60500?

SteveyBee131

That's good enough for me, well done.

There was also the Hitachi battery diesel hybrid experiment with 43089 in 2007, but that was an obscure one so would have been a bonus :D

Ashley Hill, the engine room is yours...

Calthrop

Established Member
There is a US state which as at "rail peak" a century or a bit more ago, had a number of local -- public passenger / freight -- lines of a particular narrow gauge which was very rare elsewhere in the USA. These lines were all abandoned over a period of about fifteen years. Some locomotives and rolling stock survived the closures; and were put to use a few years later on a part-"heritage", part-commercial-purpose-serving rail undertaking which was created from new, in a different US state (and is active in a highly "mutated" form, at the present day).

Please identify the former, and latter, states respectively; and the gauge.

Calthrop

Established Member
My US geography is good and I live there but this has me stumped. Pure guess the state is New Hampshire ?

Both states in New England (I think, anyway -- at all events, "that corner") -- but New Hampshire doesn't feature.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Good lord. Well Rhode Island is too small and Massachusetts is too obvious. Not sure why I don’t think Connecticut so since Maine and Vermont both border Canada and have strong French influence I will go for ME and VT aka Maine and Vermont.

Calthrop

Established Member
Good lord. Well Rhode Island is too small and Massachusetts is too obvious. Not sure why I don’t think Connecticut so since Maine and Vermont both border Canada and have strong French influence I will go for ME and VT aka Maine and Vermont.

We're here in, perhaps, the "scattergun" department -- Maine and Massachusetts (alphabetical order) are the two states concerned. Some context, now looked for...

Calthrop

Established Member
The gauge of the lines was 2 foot. The "part heritage" operation was the Edaville Railroad - originally on a fruit farm. What more information do you need ?

Two-foot: yes. Original state; and state wherein "Edaville" located; which was which?

Calthrop

Established Member
Oh sorry. Sources always refer to the "Maine two footers" - so I guess Edaville must be in Massachusetts

That's it -- at South Carver, Massachusetts. Originally set up in late 1940s, by the entrepreneur and railway enthusiast Ellis D. Atwood (the name "Edaville", from his initials): using ex-Maine 2 ft. gauge equipment, for a small system on that gauge, to service his cranberry plantations; and to give rides to trippers at weekends. The line kind-of survives nowadays; but purely as a -- from what I read of it, rather tacky -- "fun thing".

@GRALISTAIR,martinsh -- you've both contributed to answering; could I ask you to sort between yourselves, who sets the next question?

Calthrop

Established Member
Feel duly complimented; but am lousy at statistical / numerical stuff -- and at present, time-constrained -- am guessing: 4-4-0T .

341o2

Established Member
I'll go for 2-6-2T on the basis of the West Clare and Tralee & Dingle.