• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Calthrop

Established Member
(The Irish 3-ft. had an amazing variety of wheel arrangements: between all the various undertakings, every possible variation / permutation on [non-articulated !] four- and six-coupled machines; plus, the "Lough Swilly" had a few eight-couplers -- but with such variety, specimens of even the most numerous wheel arrangements, were not all that numerous.)
That's a very good guess ! 4-4-0T is correct.

Ah, sure, 'twas a most hasty and random shot at it; and I can't think of a good question. Open floor please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'd like to take this, please.

Here's six significant dates in the history of the Great Western Railway:
1859; 1865; 1877; 1903; 1934; 1940.

What happened in these years?

341o2

Established Member
I'm surprised 1892 doesn't feature, is 1877 anything to do with the Hayle railway and would 1940 be the Government taking direct control following WW2 being declared in 1939 Add 1903 City of Truro's construction

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm surprised 1892 doesn't feature, is 1877 anything to do with the Hayle railway and would 1940 be the Government taking direct control following WW2 being declared in 1939 Add 1903 City of Truro's construction.

Sadly, none of these are what I'm looking for. I did think of including 1892 but I thought that it would be too easy (sorry)!

DerekC

Established Member
1940 is the date of the (second) Norton Fitzwarren accident. Not sure if that is relevant! The GWR's accident record was pretty good, but I can't believe the other dates are the only fatal accidents it had.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
1940 is the date of the (second) Norton Fitzwarren accident. Not sure if that is relevant! The GWR's accident record was pretty good, but I can't believe the other dates are the only fatal accidents it had.

Yes, you're right, that's what I was looking for.

As this has not received many guesses, the rest of the answers are as follows:
1859 was the death of Isambard Kingdom Brunel
1865 saw the appointment of Sir Daniel Gooch at GWR Chairman
1877 was when William Dean was appointed Locomotive Superintendent
The first GWR owned motor coach service (between Helston and The Lizard) started in 1903
The first GWR diesel railcar came into service in 1934 and, as you've said
The Norton Fitzwarren Accident happened in 1940.

DerekC .. you may have the floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Eaton Hall line near Chester (connection with standard gauge, at Balderton) -- commissioned by the Duke of Westminster, to serve his stately home Eaton Hall.

DerekC

Established Member
A hole in one, if that's the right sporting analogy! There have apparently been six Eaton Halls (new builds or major reconstructions) on the site since the 16th Century, the most recent being in 1989-92 and described as "Chateau Tesco" in style!

Your marble floor.

I didn't know that the Eaton Hall Railway has been partially rebuilt - here's a photo:

Katie.jpg

Calthrop

Established Member
My mother and her brothers' youth, between the World Wars, was spent in Chester: they explored the surrounding country widely by bike, and I think it very likely that they then witnessed the EHR in ducally-originated form.

I'm at present completely without question-inspiration; open floor, please.

Calthrop

Established Member
They all devised types / systems of steam loco valve gear, which are respectively named after them?

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you.

There were two lines, rural and of lesser significance: both in the same country of the UK, and both belonging to the same company out of the "Big Four" (but they had belonged to different pre-Grouping companies); which were both closed to all traffic during the latter half of the Second World War. Please identify them.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you.

There were two lines, rural and of lesser significance: both in the same country of the UK, and both belonging to the same company out of the "Big Four" (but they had belonged to different pre-Grouping companies); which were both closed to all traffic during the latter half of the Second World War. Please identify them.

NOTE CONCERNING THE ABOVE: I seem not very bright these days: have just become aware that the question which I set above, is a "nonsense" one -- my memory of a vital closure-date detail, having been faulty. I wish therefore, to withdraw the question; and request OPEN FLOOR. Apologies for thus messing people around.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
NOTE CONCERNING THE ABOVE: I seem not very bright these days: have just become aware that the question which I set above, is a "nonsense" one -- my memory of a vital closure-date detail, having been faulty. I wish therefore, to withdraw the question; and request OPEN FLOOR. Apologies for thus messing people around.
You’re definitely not thick Mr Calthrop.
What was the answer that you were looking for? I was thinking somewhere in Wales but I wasn’t sure.

Calthrop

Established Member
You’re definitely not thick Mr Calthrop.
What was the answer that you were looking for? I was thinking somewhere in Wales but I wasn’t sure.

Thanks for the reassurance -- but I can be awfully forgetful. My idea concerned the Wick & Lybster; and Cairn Valley (Dumfries -- Moniaive); lines -- in Scotland, both LMS (but ex-Highland and -GSWR respectively). The former was closed to all traffic, fair and square, in 1944. The Cairn Valley / Moniaive branch lost its passenger service in 1943 -- in my haste to set a question, I had in head, its closing completely then; but recollected some hours later that I actually knew that freight on the branch lasted till 1949 -- which I felt killed any symmetry or close likeness in the question; which was supposed to be about those qualities !

Going off at a tangent re the more southerly of the two lines: until a couple of months ago, to the best of my recollection the only references to Moniaive which had ever come my way, were to do with having been the terminus of an ill-fated and rather early-closed branch line; and I had only read the name, never heard it said aloud -- from reading it, I had (not being a Scot) no idea how it might be pronounced. Was intrigued to hear by chance, a radio current-affairs item this May, concerning this village. One learns that it hosts annually in late spring, a quite big folk-music festival which attracts many people from far and near and brings in much-needed cash to the locality; of course that function had to be cancelled this year, causing a problem for the local inhabitants. I fond out that the name is pronounced to rhyme with "bonny hive".

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the reassurance -- but I can be awfully forgetful. My idea concerned the Wick & Lybster; and Cairn Valley (Dumfries -- Moniaive); lines -- in Scotland, both LMS (but ex-Highland and -GSWR respectively). The former was closed to all traffic, fair and square, in 1944. The Cairn Valley / Moniaive branch lost its passenger service in 1943 -- in my haste to set a question, I had in head, its closing completely then; but recollected some hours later that I actually knew that freight on the branch lasted till 1949 -- which I felt killed any symmetry or close likeness in the question; which was supposed to be about those qualities !

Going off at a tangent re the more southerly of the two lines: until a couple of months ago, to the best of my recollection the only references to Moniaive which had ever come my way, were to do with having been the terminus of an ill-fated and rather early-closed branch line; and I had only read the name, never heard it said aloud -- from reading it, I had (not being a Scot) no idea how it might be pronounced. Was intrigued to hear by chance, a radio current-affairs item this May, concerning this village. One learns that it hosts annually in late spring, a quite big folk-music festival which attracts many people from far and near and brings in much-needed cash to the locality; of course that function had to be cancelled this year, causing a problem for the local inhabitants. I fond out that the name is pronounced to rhyme with "bonny hive".
Thank you sir. Interesting as always. :)