• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Re the other four -- haven't the foggiest ! (Had never even heard of the books before...)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
OK, time for clues, maybe others have suggestions

Railways for all: the author might have been 'Morocco bound' (a song)
Men of Iron was written by a woman
Railways through Talerddig: the author has been mentioned recently on these fora
Die Entgleisung was published in the DDR, 1980, it is quite funny, a wagon left the track after someone threw a point lever a moment too soon
Lots of 'interesting' literature fell out and was salvaged by the locals

Calthrop

Established Member
Railways through Talerddig: the author has been mentioned recently on these fora

My brain seems to be turning to sawdust in my old age -- I remember now, re Talerddig (the situation, not the author). For myself here, feel that looking back to find the name, and submitting it, would be cheating; so I won't do it !

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
No answers for a while, so here is an easy bonus question
Which Prime Minister penned the foreword to 'A Hundred Years of Railway Weighells' by Sidney of that ilk?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Correct, the Rt Hon James Callaghan, PC
There is a lovely photo on the back cover, an A4 on the crossings at Newcastle with gangers standing aside to let it by
@Calthrop got five right and may set the next question

Missing answers:
Men of Iron: Brunel, Stephenson by Sally Dugan
Railways through Talerddig by G Briwnant-Jones
Die Entgleisung/the derailment by Inge Wangenheim, DDR 1980, entertaining with significant railway interest

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks -- but I'm wretchedly short of ideas for questions these days; I'll decline. Would "open floor" be appropriate?

SteveyBee131

Let's try this:

When Cross Country wound down their use of class 47s in 2002 (wow is it really 19 years ago!), 6 of the type carried special liveries. The numbers and their liveries please

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Let's try this:

When Cross Country wound down their use of class 47s in 2002 (wow is it really 19 years ago!), 6 of the type carried special liveries. The numbers and their liveries please
Right I’ll give it a go.

47826 Intercity Swallow
47828 police livery?
47840 BR blue
47843 BR green?
47847 Large Logo
47853 XP64 BR blue.

SteveyBee131

You've got all the liveries right and 4 out of 6 numbers isn't bad at all so the paintshop floor shall be yours @Cowley ;)

The 2 you were unsure of, BR green was 47851, and police livery was 47829.

Over to you...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You've got all the liveries right and 4 out of 6 numbers isn't bad at all so the paintshop floor shall be yours @Cowley ;)

The 2 you were unsure of, BR green was 47851, and police livery was 47829.

Over to you...

Thanks @SteveyBee131 . I’m off to work in a minute and it’s going to be difficult to check my phone today so I’ll say open floor.

Metrolink

Which operator, and in what year, proposed a high speed link between London Euston and Leeds via Stockport, Reddish South and Guide bridge, and then onto the Manchester to Leeds line?

(Bonus question: How was the proposal dropped in the end?)

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Which operator, and in what year, proposed a high speed link between London Euston and Leeds via Stockport, Reddish South and Guide bridge, and then onto the Manchester to Leeds line?

(Bonus question: How was the proposal dropped in the end?)

I think that was a GNWR proposal, and not that long ago. 2016?

Metrolink

Clue: the train operator was meant to take over the Blackpool North to London Euston service at the start of 2021, however this was cancelled due to the pandemic...