• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Keeping with the subject of short railways, which country has the shortest national railway?

341o2

Established Member
yes, total length 300m, within the Vatican, one station, mostly freight traffic.

your floor

Calthrop

Established Member
Railway nationalisation in Spain took place in 1941 -- at least in part, because of the railways' being badly messed-up by the country's then recent civil war (oddly, nationalisation took in all the broad gauge, but none of the very extensive narrow gauge). Please give the pre-nationalisation names of any two of the former broad-gauge companies / undertakings which, in this move, were merged into the new national outfit, the RENFE. (Names may be in Spanish, or English equivalent -- or any other language, within reason !)

Calthrop

Established Member
Would seem difficult to find any hint, which isn't a dead giveaway; but "if that's how it is"... there are two cardinal compass points, out of the four: naming which, would answer the question with satisfactory correctness.

Gloster

Established Member
The only one I can think of is the Norte. There was also one with three lengthy place names in it which had some early 0-8-0 locos.

Calthrop

Established Member
Grand -- that's one of them. I won't "unveil" here, the three-lengthy-place-names outfit; but it was to a fair extent, a "routes rival" of the Norte. Any more, anyone?

Calthrop

Established Member
That's the three-place-name one, as "above-your-post" -- any chance of the actual names?

Calthrop

Established Member
OK -- sticking with Spain (I don't think one will need, for this one, to be a particularly learned scholar of the language): what is the big Spanish rail junction whose name translates as "inn or market of the baths"?

Calthrop

Established Member
The Landwasser Viaduct, Rhaetische Bahn, Switzerland? (Just to come up with something.)

Snow1964

Established Member
I vaguely remember it is (if it is still there) somewhere in former Yugoslavia. But I don’t know enough to give give a proper answer