• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AviationFR

Correct. Your go

is it just me or is it easy to answer some of these questions and then have no clue of anything to ask?

Calthrop

Established Member
Which line lost its passenger service a little under a hundred years ago; remained in use for freight for nearly another forty years; and furnished the inspiration for a character in the Rev. W. Awdry's Railway Series?

Calthrop

Established Member
Correct -- the Reverend was "posted" to that part of the world around the early 1950s, and knew the W & U in its last years of steam operation (was dieselised circa 1953 if I recall correctly): hence his Toby the Tram Engine.

Your floor.

341o2

Established Member
Where is the world's southernmost operating passenger railway?

341o2

Established Member
End of the World station on the Southern Fuegian Railway in Argentina?
Yes, that is the answer. A former freight line repoened as a heritage line Ferrocarril Austral Fueguino FCAF
Your floor

Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I’d used End of the World station in the End of the stations word quiz and remembered it.
Which steam shed featured in the Arthur Askey film The Love Match?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Newton Heath
Correct. A good film if you’ve never seen it. Askey plays a football mad driver and the depot featured was Newton Heath. Newton Heath LYR Football Club changed their name to Manchester Utd in 1902 hence the clue.
The usherettes torch shines on you……

xotGD

Established Member
In recent months, two locomotives with the same number have been operating on the East Lancashire Railway. What's the number?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In recent months, two locomotives with the same number have been operating on the East Lancashire Railway. What's the number?

That’s a good one.
Is it 47402 (a Jinty and a 47)?

xotGD

Established Member
Correct. D1501, aka 47402 Gateshead and GWR Pannier Tank 1501, now returned home to the SVR I believe.

I for one was confused when I saw 1501 on the loco roster!

Your floor...

D6968

Correct. D1501, aka 47402 Gateshead and GWR Pannier Tank 1501, now returned home to the SVR I believe.

I for one was confused when I saw 1501 on the loco roster!

Your floor...
I was confused a few years ago when Dad said he saw 73129 at Bolton Street and I asked him ‘What’s the 73 from the Glos/Warks doing there?’ :s
Okay then, Why do some Class 50’s with twinning plaques have circular ones and some have diagonal ones?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was confused a few years ago when Dad said he saw 73129 at Bolton Street and I asked him ‘What’s the 73 from the Glos/Warks doing there?’ :s
Okay then, Why do some Class 50’s with twinning plaques have circular ones and some have diagonal ones?

Ok, I’m going to go with the circular crests being submarines and the diamond ones being part of the surface fleet possibly?

xotGD

Established Member
One for existing warships, the other for historic warships?