• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
If a siding is adjacent to a running line then two white lights should be shown. This I think is to prevent a driver on the adjacent line thinking he is seeing a stopped train.

cjp

If a siding is adjacent to a running line then two white lights should be shown. This I think is to prevent a driver on the adjacent line thinking he is seeing a stopped train.
Sounds good to me.
White lights instead of red if next to a running line and facing in the direction of approaching trains so as to prevent any confusion to crew of the approaching train. I also understand that, for the same reason, lights get placed vertically (one above each other) rather than be horizontally aligned.

deltic1989

Established Member
I have always understood this to mean that the route will diverge after the next signal but one (second signal after the flashing double yellow). Of course this could be miles wide of the mark.

Tomnick

Established Member
Thats close but what is special about the divergance?
That it's a lower speed than the 'straight' route - and that's about it, in general terms. Not sure whether it must be the highest speed diverging route, but it generally will be.

Tomnick

Established Member
In that case (ta) - give two examples of an amber indication in a railway signalling installation.

Tomnick

Established Member
That's one! The other is intended for (train) drivers, but doesn't normally face the driver that it's intended for...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any other offers? Perhaps it's time to offer a clue to indicate the route to the second required answer.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the absence of any further guesses, I think it's only right to award it to theageofthetra for getting halfway there at least.

Tomnick

Established Member
A rear-facing 'off' indicator (which might have some form of route indication too). I'm not sure if it applies to all such indicators - I was thinking mostly of those provided for trains starting from beyond the platform starter.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A rear-facing 'off' indicator (which might have some form of route indication too). I'm not sure if it applies to all such indicators - I was thinking mostly of those provided for trains starting from beyond the platform starter.

Was that similar to a matter that was recently reported in a thread, caused by an operational matter, about three seperate units that had been at one of the shorter terminal platforms at Manchester Piccadilly, where the driving cab of the furthest unit was past the signal point ?

Tomnick

Established Member
Was that similar to a matter that was recently reported in a thread, caused by an operational matter, about three seperate units that had been at one of the shorter terminal platforms at Manchester Piccadilly, where the driving cab of the furthest unit was past the signal point ?
Exactly that situation Paul - except that at some locations (not Picc, as far as I'm aware), the signalling design allows the signal to clear with the front of the train standing in advance of it*, the 'off' indicator being provided for the driver's benefit. Not too common nowadays - I believe they were primarily intended for those situations where a loco would drop onto its (long) train close to departure time, possibly foul of other pointwork, so there's little need nowadays in this world full of multiple units.

* - I don't know whether that was achieved by allowing the signal to clear even with the first track circuit in advance occupied, or just by pushing the block joint as far beyond the signal as possible.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Forgot it was my turn. Ok what are the only two situations where a driver may pass a signal at danger without any authority.

t_star2001uk

Automatic when going to ascertain why a signal box has not opened at the appointed time.....

Also an Intermediate Block Home signal when unable to contact the signaller.....

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
I'll guess that a Driver can pass a signal at danger without authority when the driver can confirm that a Signal Box is closed & the other being when the Signaller cannot be contacted by any means of communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theageofthetra

On Moderation
T Star is closest. Both situations occur in Absolute Block areas. You can pass an Intermidiate Block Home or a Stop signal if you have confirmed the signal box is closed and points have been set correctly. Your floor