• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marton

Correct. Suez. I understood more about petrol rationing than buses, but the right concept.

Over to you.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Name some occasions when a train will intentionally not show a red light to the rear.

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
When it is waiting for another unit to be coupled-up to it at the rear, and the unit to be added is near?

t_star2001uk

Not on TCB with a divided train. Only attach a tail light when the front portion reaches a signal box or goes into a TCB area.

When leaving a traction unit on a dead end line with a white light on the stops, a white light must be shown on the end of the traction unit.

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
In the absence of any other guesses then, I'll have a go. In years gone by, the clearance of a subsidiary signal was considered authority to pass the main signal at danger, and was shown as such in the Rule Book. Is that what you're looking for?

t_star2001uk

Sorry. No thats not the one. The one im thinking of hasnt been in the rule book for quite a few years now.

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Its not some wartime oddity is it? Whereby if an air raid was taking place you could try and get your train to a place of safety e.g a tunnel?

t_star2001uk

In the absence of any other guesses then, I'll have a go. In years gone by, the clearance of a subsidiary signal was considered authority to pass the main signal at danger, and was shown as such in the Rule Book. Is that what you're looking for?

That would be passing a signal for shunting purposes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Its not some wartime oddity is it? Whereby if an air raid was taking place you could try and get your train to a place of safety e.g a tunnel?

No. Not some wartime oddity. It was only removed from the rule book in recent history.

Last edited:

Llama

Established Member
Passing the section signal of box A to proceed through the section and check why box B has not opened / switched in?

t_star2001uk

Ok here is a clue.

It was a method of working that allowed a train to be authorised past a signal at danger.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Just to clarify is it a former rule that allowed a driver to authorise themselves to pass a signal at danger i.e without authorisation from a signaller/pilotman?

t_star2001uk

No it was with authority of the signaller. And yes it is not in the rule book now, it was in the older black rule book.

See post 2627...

Last edited:

t_star2001uk

Ok

The answer i was looking for was Time Interval Working...

A train is authorised past a signal at danger and then after an elapsed time the next train was allowed into section.

Not in the rule book anymore IIRC it was deemed as not suitable for the modern railway.

OPEN FLOOR

Tomnick

Established Member
Being pedantic, maybe, but the 1972 Rule Book shows 15 reasons for passing a signal at danger with authority, and time interval working was alive and well then - it's covered under the general "passing the section signal at danger because of a block failure" (now incorporated, as far as I can tell, into "defective signalling equipment"), the details of the time interval working being covered in the signalling regs.

steamybrian

Established Member
Jointly controlled by NR and SVR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is true it is operated by SVR staff with permission of NR.

Can you be more specific and say what else is unusual with the actual signal...