• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

AndrewE

Established Member
Interesting. Was it an East London by-pass? / Grand Ceinture?
If so, it's a long time before the Severn or Rotherhithe tunnels, so did they plan a bridge?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Well, you have got the railways pretty much right although missing out the Eastern Counties (Shoreditch to Cambridge and Colchester) but not the right target area.
I did mention Colchester, but Simmons has the Cambridge line only open as far as Bishop Stortford before 1845, so I left it off my list. :)
It may help if I list the railways the N&SCR was to connect directly to:

Eastern Counties
Great Northern (which was not built but must have been in promotion as its Act was submitted the same year)
London & Birmingham
Great Western
London & Southampton
South Eastern
That sounds remarkably like a circle line around London!

AndrewE

Established Member
I did mention Colchester, but Simmons has the Cambridge line only open as far as Bishop Stortford before 1845, so I left it off my list. :)
at 60 miles (so a circle a bit under 20 miles diameter) you are probably right

DerekC

Established Member

Ok - so you did - sorry. I guess that in preparing their proposal they looked at railways under development/construction as well as those actually open.

at 60 miles (so a circle a bit under 20 miles diameter) you are probably right

You are getting very warm. Just leave out one segment of the circle that might have been difficult in 1845 and move out a bit!

krus_aragon

Established Member
You are getting very warm. Just leave out one segment of the circle that might have been difficult in 1845 and move out a bit

Skipping the Thames estuary, then, would leave us with a C-shaped route. Was the "North and South" referring to either shore of the Thames?

DerekC

Established Member
Skipping the Thames estuary, then, would leave us with a C-shaped route. Was the "North and South" referring to either shore of the Thames?

The C-shape is exactly right (just a little more than 180 degrees) but the name refers to linking railways north and south of London. I think. You can work out roughly how far out it was - what are some good junction points on the various railways?

DerekC

Established Member
Looks like interest in this one has died so I will give the answer:

The Northern & Southern Connecting Railway's planned route was:
  • Hertford (Eastern Counties Railway)
  • Hatfield/Welwyn (Great Northern Railway)
  • Watford (London & Birmingham Railway)
  • Langley (Great Western Railway)
  • Weybridge (London & Southampton Railway)
  • Reigate/Redhill (South Eastern Railway)
Open floor

krus_aragon

Established Member
Looks like interest in this one has died so I will give the answer:

The Northern & Southern Connecting Railway's planned route was:
  • Hertford (Eastern Counties Railway)
  • Hatfield/Welwyn (Great Northern Railway)
  • Watford (London & Birmingham Railway)
  • Langley (Great Western Railway)
  • Weybridge (London & Southampton Railway)
  • Reigate/Redhill (South Eastern Railway)
Open floor
It appears to have been an interesting enterprise, but my knowledge of outer-London geography wouldn't have been able to guess more than a couple of those.

Thank you for brining this curio to our attention!

SteveyBee131

Indeed, very interesting, thanks!

Let's try this:

Knaresborough Viaduct is one of the more well known railway landmarks of North Yorkshire, but it was actually the second attempt!

So, collapse date of the first, and opening date of the second (just the year will do)?Bonus for the railway it was built for?

Efini92

Established Member
Indeed, very interesting, thanks!

Let's try this:

Knaresborough Viaduct is one of the more well known railway landmarks of North Yorkshire, but it was actually the second attempt!

So, collapse date of the first, and opening date of the second (just the year will do)?Bonus for the railway it was built for?

It collapsed in 1848 and was rebuilt in 1851. Was it the Leeds and Thirsk railway?

Marton

It’s more usual to have the higher speed for multiple units not loco hauled

ie 25 over 10

Efini92

Established Member
It’s more usual to have the higher speed for multiple units not loco hauled

ie 25 over 10
I’ll give you that. The top number ( lowest figure ) applies to passenger trains. Normally it’s the bottom number ( highest figure ).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Warning board for approaching water troughs, the actual sign for where to lower the scoop was the "X" on its own.

I recognise it from the BTF short film Elizabethan Express

Calthrop

Established Member
@hexagon789: it would seem clear that you actually knew the significance of the sign. In my answer, I really thought -- particularly, with looking at the 'X' jigger which to me, meant nothing -- that the sign must be something from modern times, pertinent to post-steam forms of traction; and that I was playing the fool with my "water troughs" suggestion. What with these considerations, I think I should cede the floor to you. Please, you go ahead.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
@hexagon789: it would seem clear that you actually knew the significance of the sign. In my answer, I really thought -- particularly, with looking at the 'X' jigger which to me, meant nothing -- that the sign must be something from modern times, pertinent to post-steam forms of traction; and that I was playing the fool with my "water troughs" suggestion. What with these considerations, I think I should cede the floor to you. Please, you go ahead.

That's very kind of you @Calthrop but I have myself wondering a round on two on pure speculation, so only if you're sure and if so I'll think of a quick question.