• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are nine, but as I can’t be bothered to think up another question I won’t name them.
I know but I wanted it to be fairly easy to guess so that I’m not checking the phone at work every five minutes tomorrow.
Give it a go @Gloster as you can always go open floor...

(Extra points for all 9)

Gloster

Established Member
I know but I wanted it to be fairly easy to guess so that I’m not checking the phone at work every five minutes tomorrow.
Give it a go @Gloster as you can always go open floor...

(Extra points for all 9)
Penzance, St Erth, Roskear Junction, Truro, Par, Lostwithiel, Liskeard, St Blazey, Goonbarrow Junction.

Nick_C

The British Isles consists of a rather large number of islands. Excluding Great Britain and Ireland, there were (if I've got my figures right), 11 of them that had, or have, railways. Which 11?

SteveM70

Established Member
Sheppey
Wight
Hayling
Portland

I think there was one on Skye - from memory narrow gauge

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Isle of Wight
Canvey Island
Ynys Mon
Isle of Thanet
Walney Island
Orkney, Mainland
Hayling Island
Portsea Island
Barry Island
Isle of Man

Isle of Ely?

Nick_C

Just realised I mistyped the question from my notes, and missed a bit - it should have said "self-contained railways" - i.e. not connected to the mainland.

On that basis, I'll hand the baton to @LSWR Cavalier, for getting the most based on the question as asked. Mea culpa...

The list I had was:

Wight
Mull
Unst
Skye
Bute
Sanday
Skye
Alderney
Guernsey
Jersey
Man

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@Peter Mugridge
Correct, I watched a film of the gravity train run in 2013, 60 trucks, brakemen on board
It slowed to walking pace on the curves below Tan-y-Bwlch and stopped at last on the flat cob, so a locomotive had to push it into Harbour Station. No horses involved apparently

You may take the reins

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@DerekC
Sixty feet according to the text on the video. Maybe it was a bit less, who knows? What a contrast to modern trains that are always the same length

The gravity trains were a lot heavier going down of course, the horses relaxed and fed in their own vehicles before dragging the longer trains back up

DerekC

Established Member
Good one! I should have got that. The technique may have been obsolescent in 1863 but according to JIC Boyd, the Ffestiniog went on running down slate trains by gravity until 1940! The top shunter based at Blaenau would give them a push to get them rolling, then it was downhill all the way to the cob, as you say. Better stop now or this will turn into a gravity trains thread. Now there's an idea!!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There are several instances in the UK where it is possible, if you ignore prefixes and suffixes, to buy a ticket between two stations of the same name.

Name any three of these.

Calthrop

Established Member
Moreton (Dorset) / Moreton (Merseyside)

Hope (Flintshire) / Hope (Derbyshire)

and Whitchurch just has to feature: Whitchurch (Hampshire) / Whitchurch (Shropshire)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, that was easy. Others include the likes of Gillingham, Waterloo, Ashford and Charing Cross.

Next slide question please.