• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The most unusual feature, I think, is that the tramway splits half way up the mountain, and passengers have to get off the first tram and get on a second one to get to the top. There's also a cable car from near to the Pier, although I'm not sure whether it goes to the same place. There are goats on the Great Orme, and during Covid they've been coming down to the town and been seen walking around the streets. I don't know who the sportsman is, though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Is the unusual feature that the tramway is the only cable powered funicular to run on public roads in the UK

And to edit post, the cars are permenantly attatched to the cables and controlled by winchmen from the halfway point, which as mentioned, the line is worked in two halves

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
@EbbwJunction1
Very good, but what other four ways are there to get up there, or back down?
Three of them are by cable car, on foot and by road, but I can't think of another one - unless you mean that the tramway is one of the four?
The sportsperson shared his name with an infamous highwayman
I've tried several times recently to visit the Summit, but every time it's not been possible. Google Maps confirms, though, that the Bar is named after Randolph Turpin, but I don't know why without looking it up further.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Yes, Turpin was a champion boxer, but he was from Royal Leamington Spa!

Ways to get up: tram*, walk, cable car, cycle, bus, on horseback, car, motorcycle
* steepest gradient 1:3.8!

I went up on the tram, very good, one has a great view of the fearful precipices of Penmaenmawr

@EbbwJunction1 has the most right answers and may set the next question

Gloster

Established Member
I will use up one of my small stock of questions.

In what year did the last new 0-4-0 standard-gauge steam loco (tender or tank) enter the normal operating stock of a British mainline railway?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you.

In alphabetical order, these are the names of six closed stations in Wales. There's one point for naming the location, and another for the name of the current local authority area that they are (were) in; some of the former may be the same as the latter, so they'll be counted twice.

Alberta Place
Clarence Road
Fountain Bridge
Griffith's Crossing
Mill Street
The Mount

Best of luck!

Snow1964

Established Member
Clarence Road was Hamadryad (Cardiff Bay), Cardiff
Fountain Bridge was near Rudry, Caerphilly
Mill Street was Newport, County of Newport (was Monmouthshire)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
This seems to have gone to sleep, so I'll make progress by giving you the answers to the remaining questions:

Alberta Place is in Penarth, and the authority is the Vale of Glamorgan.
The Mount is in Swansea, which is also the local council.

Snow1964 has identified the most, so he has the Gazetteer of Stations - well done!

Snow1964

Established Member
South London, Sussex and Kent use third rail electrification.
But 14 locations (yards) also had overhead wires for electric locomotives

Where were the 14 locations (all overhead wiring has since been removed). For clarity all predates the 25Kv wiring of HS1