• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveyBee131

Well, let’s start with Penzance.
Good
Fazakerley (Liverpool)
Edit:
Hazel Grove
Brizzle Temple Meads :rolleyes:
Fazakerley and Hazel Grove, good.
Maze Hill.
Good.
Leighton Buzzard
Danzey
Fazakerley
Leighton Buzzard and Danzey, Good. You were beaten to it with Fazakerley though.
A couple not too far from here....

Fitzwilliam
Frizinghall
Both good.
Walton on the Naze
Good.
Lenzie
Devizes
Norton Fitzwarren

London Zones 1 - 6!

Thinking ahead: Birmingham Curzon Street
Only Lenzie in those.
Glazebrook
Good.

So between you all I count 11 so far.

Two more (plus the three bonuses if anyone is good with 3 letter codes)... :?:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Blimey,haven't done one of these for a while so here's an easy one.
In the British Transport Film 'Single Line Working' which two stations appeared as Averton Hammer and Boiland?

Gloster

Established Member
Which classes of pacific (4-6-2) were built during by BR’s workshops between 1948 and 1960? And, as a bonus, how many of each class? (For clarity, there is one class that is sometimes seen as two classes: here it is only one.)

DerekC

Established Member
Both LNER Peppercorn A1 and A2, I think, rather than A3. (about 20 A1s and 40 A2s - complete guess!)
Weren't one or two of the LMS "Coronation" class completed after nationalisation?

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@DerekC
Please, what sort of loco is that in your picture?
I think the LNER got the numbers wrong, counting down instead of up. Like canon, the better eos cameras had lower numbers

Gloster

Established Member
Both LNER Peppercorn A1 and A2, I think, rather than A3. (about 20 A1s and 40 A2s - complete guess!)
Weren't one or two of the LMS "Coronation" class completed after nationalisation?
All three classes are correct and we now have all eight classes concerned, but I will give it a little longer to get the totals of each class.

341o2

Established Member
That would the the entire Brittania class of 55 locos 70000 - 700054

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
One Coronation? Completed 1953 for THE Coronation? Or two Coronatii, if I may guess twice?

I was overthinking, could its have been a cryptic question involving 2-6-4 tanks?

Gloster

Established Member
One Coronation? Completed 1953 for THE Coronation? Or two Coronatii, if I may guess twice?

I was overthinking, could its have been a cryptic question involving 2-6-4 tanks?
No, it was not a trick question. The answer is one as the last Coronation, 46257, was completed in 1948.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Thanks very much

On the cover of 'A Hundred Years of Railway Weighells' Sidney W is shown on the footplate of an engine that probably never ran in the North-East. Which engine?
On the back of the book is a photo of one of the greatest LNER loco types at one of the greatest locations, please identify both.

What locomotive engine appears on the cover of 'Southern Steam' by O S Nock?

On the front and back covers of 'Narrow Gauge Railways, England and the fifteen-inch' by Humphrey Household appears a locomotive operating at the wrong end of the country, if its name is anything to go by, which engine?

I have been worried about making questions too easy. Or too hard, so I included clues

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
A clue: the engine Sid is standing on is more like Thomas than Percy, it has visited a real Island (not Sodor), where 0-4-4 tanks were ubiquitous.