• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
30 is also the answer I came up with.

24 letters are used at the start of station names; of the two that aren't, X is quite common in Devon (duh) and Z appears twice in Leighton Buzzard. To give an example of the others, Abbey Wood has a space (again, duh), Ince & Elton has an ampersand, Clacton-on-Sea has hyphens and Hall i' th' Wood has apostrophes.

If there are any others I would be interested to find out, but to my knowledge there aren't. So, who is next? That was more of a team effort so I guess I will have to declare an open floor as the poser of the question...

All of them? : - |

Come again? What station has ° or ♥ or ♀ or # in its name?

Last edited:

dzug2

How about the non-roman characters on station nameboards at eg Southall?

Nym

Established Member
That isn't a station name though, it's something put up to appease the locals...

Although there are some special characters in Scottish or Welsh stations? áéíóú etc...

(HA! Makes me capitalise Scottish, but not Welsh. the SNP wrote my spell checker...)

dzug2

Not a station name?? But it's the name of the station surely? Either transliterated or phonetically rendered.

An interesting semantic distinction, and ultimately probably a fruitless debate.

Let's hope someone takes up the open floor to distract us from that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK - a hopefully easy one.

Where in mainland Britain is there a length of broad gauge track in operational (OK loosely speaking) use?

Ivo

Established Member
I don't know :(

But I do want to clarify this...

Although there are some special characters in Scottish or Welsh stations? áéíóú etc...

There are, yes - in their non-English names. But the same argument could be used for Southall (above); it is effectively something the localss will associate with, but not the entire country. As such, only English names should count.

Zoe

Established Member
Where there are two stop signals in rear of a box, when would the first be named Home rather than Outer Home if the second is named Inner Home?

clagmonster

Established Member
I presume that both signals are controlled by the box in question and that the signals are both on the same line. In which case, is it something to do with the distance between the (outer) home and the inner home?

Zoe

Established Member
I presume that both signals are controlled by the box in question and that the signals are both on the same line.
Yes. It's possible that what you said about distance could be used as a reason but it's not the one I was looking for which is much more general.

deltic1989

Established Member
The first stop signal is paired with a signal controlling a diverging route and could be classed as an outer home for the first box along the route?

(as you may be able to see I'm guessing, but in searching for the answer I'm learning a lot more about signaling)

dzug2

Two wild guesses as this thread has gone quiet:

there's a platform between the two signals

the signals control access to a terminus.

Schnellzug

Established Member
That isn't a station name though, it's something put up to appease the locals...

(HA! Makes me capitalise Scottish, but not Welsh. the SNP wrote my spell checker...)

perhaps because welsh is a verb, meaning to do a runner without paying if e.g. one loses a bet.

Sorry, Welsh people, I didn't decide on etymology.)

Tomnick

Established Member
Where there are two stop signals in rear of a box, when would the first be named Home rather than Outer Home if the second is named Inner Home?
When it's in the former Western Region???

Tomnick

Established Member
I was resisting the temptation to put everyone out of their misery ;) . Next question then:

If a semaphore stop signal (let's say it's the home signal at an anonymous signal box) is maintained at Danger until an approaching train is quite or nearly at a stand at it, what two things must the Driver of that train be prepared to find in advance of that signal?

Mvann

A speed restriction or work going on near the line. Also didn't they have to proceed with caution if there was blasting at a nearby quarry e.g meldon?

Tomnick

Established Member
No and no! Just to clarify, I'm looking at the general (and current) situation, not any local instructions at a specific location.

In Nym's case, I'd expect the signal would be maintained at Danger for quite some time!

Welshman

Established Member
I was resisting the temptation to put everyone out of their misery ;) . Next question then:

If a semaphore stop signal (let's say it's the home signal at an anonymous signal box) is maintained at Danger until an approaching train is quite or nearly at a stand at it, what two things must the Driver of that train be prepared to find in advance of that signal?

i] The signaller hanging out of the box with a red flag to give the driver important information regarding the line ahead, or informing him that the line may not be clear to the next signal.

ii] That a train has only just cleared the section ahead, so he may have to be prepared to stop again at the next signal as he's closely following the train in advance.

Tomnick

Established Member
Correct on both! Second one is just 'be prepared to find the next stop signal at Danger though' - may be because the train in front is still in section, but could be because the train's not booked to go into the forward section!

Welshman

Established Member
OK.

Why did drivers of dmus and diesel engines instinctively duck when passing a steam engine travelling in the opposite direction on water-troughs?