Railway Illus - 'Gossip' section

Discussion in 'Memorabilia, Media & Publications' started by alexl92, 30 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexl92

alexl92 Established Member

I haven't picked up a copy of Railways Illustrated since Pip Dunn moved on as I've not had the spare income, but had a quick browse yesterday and couldn't find the section that used to be at the back containing various rumours etc. I know it was usually not acccurate but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Has this section been removed since Pip left?

Also interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the mag under the new Editor - I still want to see for myself but I'd like to hear what others think.

Cheers

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Galvanize

Galvanize Member

Sadly that section disappeared when Pip left the post of Editor, though he still continues to write certain columns, but he's now Editor of a lorry magazine.

4. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

I know it is early days but the quality of the pictures in the latest magazine are quite poor

5. alexl92

I hope it maintains its standards. I occasionally used to buy Rail Express but Railways Illus became a firm favourite as a good overview of both the heritage and national rail scenes. I enjoyed the gossip column even if it wasn't always accurate - in fact, I've found it quite interesting to go back to older copies and see which items of gossip actually turned out to be accurate.

6. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

I've always wondered where all these hair brained schemes come from!;)

7. alexl92

Anyone seen a copy of RI on the shelves recently? My local supermarkets and WHS have no trace of it at all...

8. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Emeritus Moderator

Next issue is due out later this week.

I'm aware of a couple of people who have switched to Rail Express in recent months

9. alexl92

Cheers; I'll look out for it.

10. Cymroglan

Cymroglan Member

I haven't bought this recently, mainly due to the dropping of the Gossip, but also RI has seemed a bit duller than in Pip's time.
    The fact is that about 25 years ago I used to buy two or three mags a month, but places like this have increasingly replaced their role in my life. I now often don't buy any mags for weeks on end. A magazine has to have a distinct USP to make me buy it.

11. alexl92

Seems like the Gossip column is back; I bought a digital copy of the mag last month. As I don't own a tablet it's been a pain in the backside to read it as the format doesn't sit well on laptop or phone.

I still cannot find a physical copy on the shelves, however. Even contacting them directly to enquire about where I might get hold of one yielded no reply. Seems like it's subscribe or nothing.

12. RichmondCommu

RichmondCommu Established Member

The larger Tesco stores sell it, along with Rail Express. In fact our nearest large Tesco sells all the railway magazines with the exception of Today's Railways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.