• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway map of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
No idea if the hotlinking will work:
mg20227041.500-4_1000.jpg

Source: New Scientist

Not much use for journey planning, but gives an idea of the "rail density" around the planet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
Splendid - I love the occasional completely disconnected stretch miles from anywhere. What would be interesting would be to map this onto a similar graphic of population density and see if there are any obvious mismatches

Swift-Deere

Thats Awesome

On Owesyntails point i think the most densely populated areas have the most dense rail ways i.e. Western Europe, Japan, India and North east (urban) USA

But there may be some mismatches in rural mid west and deep south USA and rural Australia (lots of rail low pop density)

but as for the other (little rail high pop density) Indonesia and the middle east are prime examples.

Heres a Population Density map for reference: http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-population-density.htm

gingerheid

Established Member
Fantastic!

I never realise the Indian sub continent railways were cut off!

There's also a short unexplained missing gap between what I think is one of the ~stans and China? I presume that will get filled in soon?

It also wouldn't take much for a North South railway across Africa; I wonder if that will ever happen.

."ooo!.

It also wouldn't take much for a North South railway across Africa; I wonder if that will ever happen.

Without checking, I would suspect there may be a lot of different gauges in use across Africa which would make such a proposition a little more difficult.

Aussie_Rail

I cant vouch for anywhere else, but I have noticed a few errors in Australia. The Adelaide Darwin railway seems to be missing and it also includes the former Adelaide to Alice Springs route.

Other than that, it looks very impressive. From what I can see in Europe it looks like you are never more than a few km's from a railway line anywhere in France and Germany.

rick9525

Fantastic!

I never realise the Indian sub continent railways were cut off!

There's also a short unexplained missing gap between what I think is one of the ~stans and China? I presume that will get filled in soon?

From my Overseas map I don't think India is totally cut off as there is a line into Pakistan and on into Iran. There is a very limited service between the 2 countries.

Aussie_Rail

The same map could easily be remade your self using Google Earth, at a certain view height it shows rail lines in black, so a similar map could be made like that one.

fr3

the iran section seems to be wrong: Iran railway network

As the author of the pages you mentioned I must admit that I have not updated the map on my site since several years. Iran has + 500 km of new lines each year. But the most exciting news is the completition of Bam - Zahedan line this summer (August 2009) which closed the gap between the European and the Indian network!
(it's the green line in the south east, here shown still under construction - blue is existing - pink is planned)

Here is a newer map of the Iranian Railways
2czoykh.jpg

And here is the press review about the new link:

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...n+service+for+istanbul+launching+friday-za-10

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=201105

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=46500

Greetings from Italy

Johannes

Aussie_Rail

I think if you wanted to get a real scope on railways of the world, then it might be easier to get railway maps for individual countries or areas rather than one where it is all crammed together on a small map like the one in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.