• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
I was thinking about marketing and promoting services earlier.

I think the Virgin Trains TV ads are good - there was one with a long-distance couple and another with a guy working on a business presentation on a Pendolino. Going back a bit I love watching the old Jimmy Savile ads for BR.

The 'Northern Rail Cup' is a good partnership too, as there is an obvious 'fit' between Northern and the areas where rugby league is most popular.

What railway marketing do you like/dislike?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HH

Established Member
The best ones ever were the old InterCity ones in sepia tones with Louis Armstrong crooning in the background.

Virgin ads are generally high quality but seem to focus very heavily on the brand and the beardie. TBH these days TV ads for Rail are probably not good value for money.

Welshman

Established Member
I agree. They were classics, and I still enjoy watching them on Youtube.

And I don't think I'm alone in saying the ones which most make me want to throw something at the tv are those dreadful ones for the Trainline.

whhistle

On Moderation
But then I don't understand the need for operator specific ads. Many stations only have one operator.

My fave is the BR one where the HST is showing what it's like to be a car, getting stuck in a queue, getting pulled over by the police 37.
Find me that in DVD+ quality and I'll be happy!

Robinson

I agree. They were classics, and I still enjoy watching them on Youtube.

And I don't think I'm alone in saying the ones which most make me want to throw something at the tv are those dreadful ones for the Trainline.

In the local student boozer down here in Southampton they insist on showing Trainline ads in the regular video rotation - "Save 43% by buying from us in advance as opposed to buying a completely different ticket at the booking office - without our credit card and booking fees" <(<(<(<(<(

And you wonder why students are poor...

Status
Not open for further replies.