• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway memes and rage comics part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry to be a pain but can I ask that future postings be accessible please? By that I mean our blind members (who will be using screen reading software, so can read text but not text contained within images), along with low bandwidth or mobile users, will be able to make sense of the thread.
I can't view attachments via the app on my phone :sad:
Indeed, there should be some accompanying text so people unable to view the image can make sense of it.

The Forum Rules state

• If referring to an external source you should put the text in QUOTE tags (
    quote.gif
    ), provide details of the source and make a relevant comment to promote discussion.
Details of the source would normally be a hyperlink, and a comment could be very short, so "Based on a friends true story..." as posted above would be fine.

Many thanks :)

backontrack

Established Member
Sorry to be a pain but can I ask that future postings be accessible please? By that I mean our blind members (who will be using screen reading software, so can read text but not text contained within images), along with low bandwidth or mobile users, will be able to make sense of the thread.

Indeed, there should be some accompanying text so people unable to view the image can make sense of it.

The Forum Rules state

• If referring to an external source you should put the text in QUOTE tags (
    quote.gif
    ), provide details of the source and make a relevant comment to promote discussion.
Details of the source would normally be a hyperlink, and a comment could be very short, so "Based on a friends true story..." as posted above would be fine.

Many thanks :)

OK, will do. :smile:

backontrack

Established Member
Just created this:

northernfinal.png

(With thanks to [post=2313288]Kite159[/post])

Creating a text version would be very complex, do I need to? Or is there software blind users can use?

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was a beast, fair dos. For the benefit of sight impaired and mobile users, it's basically a Venn diagram for Northern's Random DMU Generator. If backontrack is willing to put the effort in to put the textual version up, it is worth it!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
is a "meme" a picture of someone famous in a certain pose with what is supposed to be a humorous caption around them?

Asking for a friend ;)

Domh245

Established Member
That was a beast, fair dos. For the benefit of sight impaired and mobile users, it's basically a Venn diagram for Northern's Random DMU Generator. If backontrack is willing to put the effort in to put the textual version up, it is worth it!

Venn Diagrams have overlapping circles. What Backontrack has created is a flowchart!

is a "meme" a picture of someone famous in a certain pose with what is supposed to be a humorous caption around them?

Asking for a friend ;)

According to wikipedia, a meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture"

Oh. Internet memes. You've more or less got the definition there. The picture isn't necessarily always someone famous (often it isn't!) but just an image, including but not limited to: animals, children, objects, people under the influence of drugs, etc

backontrack

Established Member
Just created this:

View attachment 23984

(With thanks to [post=2313288]Kite159[/post])

Creating a text version would be very complex, do I need to? Or is there software blind users can use?

Here goes:

1. IS YOUR SERVICE ELECTRIFIED?
YES: In the north? Really?
NO. Go to 2

2. Are you in a surburban area?
YES: Go to 3
NO: Go to 4

3. Are you in Lancashire?
YES: Go to 4
NO: Go to 8

4. Is this line a main tourist route?
YES: Go to 6
NO: Go to 5

5. Is this line a 'secondary' tourist route?
YES: Go to 6
NO: Go to 7

6. Are you in Yorkshire?
YES: Go to 9
NO: Go to 8

7. Is this service parliamentary?
YES: Go to 9
NO: Got to 9 anyway

8. Is this service in Cumbria?
YES: Go to 10
NO: Go to 9

9: You will get...

A CLASS 142/144/150/153/155/156/158

10. You will get...

WHATEVER'S LEFT

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
According to wikipedia, a meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture"

Oh. Internet memes. You've more or less got the definition there. The picture isn't necessarily always someone famous (often it isn't!) but just an image, including but not limited to: animals, children, objects, people under the influence of drugs, etc

Cheers - i have never understood a meme! I will now return to my cave and continue barking at the moon ;)

Tim R-T-C

Established Member

Such a dry definition!

Asking for a friend ;)

Tell your friend - a meme is basically a running internet gag, it can be anything from a picture to a joke (the Rickrolling craze of a few years back) to a phrase (All Your Base was one of the first). Even activities, such as planking or the ice bucket challenge could be called memes, although the latter is more manufactured.

It usually refers, as in this thread, to familiar pictures which are re-used with captions on.

How each one comes to be so popular is lost in the mystique of the internet, a true meme originates so organically that no-one can ever really say where it started.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
Yep, a flowchart. :smile:

Am I the first person to ever make a flowchart about Pacers? :lol:

I suspect that somewhere in Newton Heath, there is a flowchart about what part(s) to apply percussive maintenance to in the event of various breakdowns. And also probably one of these

engineering-flowchart1.jpg

backontrack

Established Member
Tell your friend - a meme is basically a running internet gag, it can be anything from a picture to a joke to a phrase (All Your Base was one of the first).

That could work for DB Schenker.

"All your trains are belong to us" with the German government's logo superimposed on the top. :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suspect that somewhere in Newton Heath, there is a flowchart about what part(s) to apply percussive maintenance to in the event of various breakdowns. And also probably one of these

The one on the right made me laugh. What's in the bottle on the left?

Domh245

Established Member
That would be a great answer, but stupid me doesn't know what that means. :oops:

Having googled it, it's some kind of solution that displaces water to prevent corrosion.

It is also seen as the default solution to anything that has seized up, such as bolts, bicycle chains, gears, etc. No self-respecting mechanic or engineer should be seen without it!

Kite159

Veteran Member
It is also seen as the default solution to anything that has seized up, such as bolts, bicycle chains, gears, etc. No self-respecting mechanic or engineer should be seen without it!

I'm surprised it was a picture of a WD-40 can, and not a hammer ;)

Nym

Established Member

I have one of them on my desk, also stuck it onto a work site with some fitters from Vossloh Kippe, they'd seen it many times before...

Jonny

Established Member

Except that it can end up accelerating corrosion/wear on some bicycle parts (e.g. chains) (well, apart from the special bicycle formula/version). I tend to use other products on my bicycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.