• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway photography in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Mann

Hi everyone,

I live in North Wales and with our travel restrictions being lifted on Monday I'm hoping to get out and do some railway photography for the first time since the lockdown began.

I'm aware that there are still restrictions regarding travel on trains so I won't be able to travel that way but fortunately my dad is willing to take me to some places in the car, probably not much further than Warrington or Crewe though.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good publicly accessible locations near railway lines where I could go to do train photography, ideally locations near the West Coast Main Line? I have been looking on Google Earth but am struggling to tell where is actually accessible on there.

Also, while I am fully aware that photography in large stations is probably a no go, does anyone know what the situations might be regarding photography at small unmanned stations?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

malc-c

As far as I'm aware provided you wear a mask and maintain whatever social distancing measures are required you could go to most stations, especially as you could station yourself at the end of the platform away from areas where the general public will be. I would politely inform the station manager at manned stations what you intend to do, and sign in if required. On unmanned stations then just have your mask on and locate yourself where you want but be mindful of any social distancing and the normal guidelines on photography that applied before CV19

geoffk

Established Member
I'm aware that there are still restrictions regarding travel on trains............
Are there actually restrictions? You are advised to travel off-peak and maybe consider alternative means of travel but the advice about "essential travel only" has only ever been advisory (unless the advice has been different in Wales).

Bevan Price

Established Member
If your dad is driving, then maybe Winwick (Old Alder Lane), just north of Warrington, or, possibly
Acton Bridge station (unstaffed) , or a footbridge just south of that station.

Robert Mann

If your dad is driving, then maybe Winwick (Old Alder Lane), just north of Warrington, or, possibly
Acton Bridge station (unstaffed) , or a footbridge just south of that station.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did some photography near Winwick Junction recently and am looking to arrange a trip to Acton Bridge soon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.