• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roose

...including Barrow's Furness Railway, their largest hotel. (A bigger hotel opening in County Dublin later this year.)

Lots of railway detail in the pub (which has a long narrow layout and can get crowded in the central bar area)

Yes it* is, and very attractive too.
(*Carlisle's 301 Miles bar on Platform 4)
Agree. Good bit of restored railway internal architecture. Decent beers and snacks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotsRail

Outside of Edinburgh and Glasgow, if it's real ale you're after it's generally either Wetherspoons or nothing!

Sorry but that's nonsense.

Plenty of places available if you know where to look - there is a reason why the Forth Valley CAMRA do an annual ale trail between Dunblane and Linlithgow.

I can also nip up to Moulin, https://www.moulinhotel.co.uk/
roughly a mile or so from the station, for some great ale selection.

ScotsRail

Agree. Good bit of restored railway internal architecture. Decent beers and snacks.

Just a shame that anytime I've been in the service has been so slow.

Great selection of ale though and cheap considering its a station bar.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Sorry but that's nonsense.

Plenty of places available if you know where to look - there is a reason why the Forth Valley CAMRA do an annual ale trail between Dunblane and Linlithgow.

I can also nip up to Moulin, https://www.moulinhotel.co.uk/
roughly a mile or so from the station, for some great ale selection.

Not nonsense at all. This thread is about railway pubs - ie those which are in a station, near a station or have a historical link with the railways, and ideally serve good beer. Your suggestion of the Moulin Hotel may well be a decent pub but as it's a mile from Pitlochry station I doubt anyone would suggest it to be a "railway pub".

Don't get me wrong, there are some fine breweries in Scotland such as Fyne, Inveralmond and Orkney, but - outside of Wetherspoons, it's very hard to find their beers in pubs in smaller Scottish towns. My recent travels to places such as Alloa, Brechin, Montrose and Kilmarnock certainly bear this out.

Spamcan81

There's a couple of pubs in the railway arches at Leeds station. Both owned by the same outfit. The Hop and Archies. Next door to each other. The Hop majors on cask ales and Archies majors on craft beers.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's a couple of pubs in the railway arches at Leeds station. Both owned by the same outfit. The Hop and Archies. Next door to each other. The Hop majors on cask ales and Archies majors on craft beers.

The Hop does very good pies for a reasonable price !

AndrewE

Established Member
The Hop does very good pies for a reasonable price !
Let's hope that TPE (or their successor) get their act together then, so that it's worth risking a journey to sample both! At the moment leisure travel that way is not attractive at all...

ohgoditsjames

The Sheffield tap is probably one of the best going, then again I am biased since I'm from Sheffield :lol:. Always have a great selection, especially if you like sours and stouts, the atmosphere is great (packed to the rafters on Fridays and Saturdays) and then there's the in house brewery, lovely Edwardian interior, plus it's connected directly to platform 1.

83G/84D

Established Member
Sorry if they are mentioned already but Doncaster station has a small pub on one of the platforms although the opening hours should be checked before visiting. Hartlepool used to have a similar establishment on the station but it is or was pretty small in size. The pub on Bury Bolton Street (ELR) station comes highly recommended too.

CHAPS2034

Some observations

The Beer House , at Edinburgh and Glasgow Central?
Is there not a Spoons going in at Central/

I have no knowledge one way or the other, but there is already a Spoons underneath Glasgow Central (the Crystal Palace) and another a few yards west of the low level entrance on Argyll St ( the Sir John Moore), so I can't see them opening another one in the station unless they are getting rid of one of the others.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/GLA/0279/crystal-palace-glasgow

https://whatpub.com/pubs/GLA/0741/sir-john-moore-glasgow

Outside of Edinburgh and Glasgow, if it's real ale you're after it's generally either Wetherspoons or nothing!

Don't agree with this at all. There are some good places close to stations in Aberdeen, Inverness, Perth, Dundee and Fort William which are not Spoons. All you need to do is look at What Pub.

Both are owned by Ossett Brewery. Craft Asylum #1, also owned by Ossett is about 50 yards further on but adjacent to the arches instead of underneath them.
https://whatpub.com/pubs/LEE/598/craft-asylum-1-leeds

There's one of those dreadful Beer Houses near the main entrance and a Spoons on the north concourse of the station. The Queens Hotel (attached to the station) bar used to have Black Sheep Bitter. This was a regular haunt of Mr Rugby League, Eddie Waring. Younger readers may want to google him to find out more

There is an "alcoholic black hole" immediately outside the north entrance at Leeds; on the approach road at platform level are the Brewery Tap and Friends of Ham whilst on the lower level are the Scarbrough Hotel, Moot Hall and Head of Steam. There are 4 other places 2 minutes away on Boar Lane including Tapped Leeds, a sister establishment to the Tap on the Platform at Sheffield.

Revaulx

There is an "alcoholic black hole" immediately outside the north entrance at Leeds; on the approach road at platform level are the Brewery Tap and Friends of Ham whilst on the lower level are the Scarbrough Hotel, Moot Hall and Head of Steam. There are 4 other places 2 minutes away on Boar Lane including Tapped Leeds, a sister establishment to the Tap on the Platform at Sheffield.
The south entrance is well provided as well, if you’re prepared for a slightly longer walk.

Both the Midnight Bell and Cross Keys on Water Lane are nice, and the Grove round the back of Bridgewater Place is an absolute classic.

Talking of that area, has anyone visited the Miners Arms pub next to Silecroft station? I'm planning a walk up Black Combe when the Northern £10 offer resumes and, given the infrequent train service, could do with somewhere hospitable to wait afterwards.
I can say that the Trackside at Millom was refurbished last year and doubled in size because they took the ticket office space over when it moved to the Discovery Museum, they most certainly do beer both on draught and bottles, quite a popular place in town for family do's now.

HSP 2

The Dog And Bull at Lea Green if you have time to kill and it's wet, not sure what they have on tap.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I don't know if it has as I got to page 7 before giving up but has anyone suggested Bridlington
?

Its a great little buffet/bar although you may want to hurry as the current owner is selling and apparently Northern want to do summat with it, although that (whatever it was) may have now flown out the window!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yo...n-buffet-set-to-be-redeveloped-1-10168772/amp

23rd December 2019 / 'Hundreds of railway artefacts up for action as Bridlington historic station buffet set to be redeveloped'

HSP 2

Just a pity that they got the mileage wrong Euston 298.5 miles. but still a good bar on the station. The old bar between platforms 1 & 3 was handy as you could see all of the main platforms.

S&CLER

Talking of that area, has anyone visited the Miners Arms pub next to Silecroft station? I'm planning a walk up Black Combe when the Northern £10 offer resumes and, given the infrequent train service, could do with somewhere hospitable to wait afterwards.

Can recommend it; we repaired to it after scattering a friend's ashes on Black Combe a while ago on a very hot day. Carrying a canister of human ashes up a mountain is thirsty work.

HSP 2

Can recommend it; we repaired to it after scattering a friend's ashes on Black Combe a while ago on a very hot day. Carrying a canister of human ashes up a mountain is thirsty work.

Sorry to say my friend but Black Combe is not a mountain as its approx. 30' short. But non the less well done for honouring your friends wishes, and you did deserve a pint or four for doing it.

If it was a clear day the view is stunning.

S&CLER

Sorry to say my friend but Black Combe is not a mountain as its approx. 30' short. But none the less well done for honouring your friend's wishes, and you did deserve a pint or four for doing it.

If it was a clear day the view is stunning.

Aw shucks! But it was a great day, partly because my train from the south arrived on the down platform at almost the same time as my friend's widow's train arrived from her stop at Nethertown on the up platform. We had fantastic views. She can see Black Combe from her kitchen and I can sometimes see Black Combe on a clear day from Southport Pier, by looking to the left of Blackpool Tower. I hope Captain Haddock has as good a day.

AndrewE

Established Member
Early this evening I went to the Crown, beside Liverpool Lime St. A good range of 5 real ales, really good food (the best fish & chips I have had for years) and not over-priced.
I used to have lunch in there when working at Lime St about 30 years ago, went in again for old times' sake maybe 10 or 15 years ago and it was appalling: you stuck to the carpet and I don't remember even buying a drink.
Today it is really attractive (front bar floor is tiled now, but spotlessly clean) and I shall definitely be going there again.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I spent an enjoyable couple of hours in the West Riding on Dewsbury station last evening. They had, as usual, a good selection of real ales and the company (a good friend of mine) was excellent. I wish we had an equivalent pub in Newport or Cardiff!

High Dyke

Established Member
Tried to 'Spoons at St Pancras for the first time last weekend. It was packed out but like most station pubs there is a quick turnover of punters so you just have to pounce on a table when one comes free. I order via the App and my food and drink order came quickly - there was no way that I could have made it to the bar and back without losing my seat. The Spoons App is a great innovation when you are travelling alone.

I didn't have much chance to look around but it didn't really feel like a Wetherspoons at all. There was a distinct lack of the sticky carpet that I would normally associate with their establishments.
I visited there last week. I found it cheaper than the Parcel Yard across the road in Kings Cross. It was busy, but like you I managed to obtain a table quickly. The beer I had was rather good, for a Spoons...

Has anyone mentioned the Swan & Railway adjacent to Wigan North Western, and close enough from Wigan Wallgate. I visited last year, during the Northern 10p ticket offer. The place had only reopened a couple of weeks before. Well worth a visit for a decent pint. https://whatpub.com/pubs/LAS/1811/swan-railway-wigan

Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
Early this evening I went to the Crown, beside Liverpool Lime St. A good range of 5 real ales, really good food (the best fish & chips I have had for years) and not over-priced.
I used to have lunch in there when working at Lime St about 30 years ago, went in again for old times' sake maybe 10 or 15 years ago and it was appalling: you stuck to the carpet and I don't remember even buying a drink.
Today it is really attractive (front bar floor is tiled now, but spotlessly clean) and I shall definitely be going there again.

Like you, I last went in 15 years or so ago. It was awful and I vowed never again. Will give it another go in view of your report.

Mikey C

Established Member
Not sure I'd choose it over the Vat and Fiddle which is only a short walk away from the station anyway and more of a "proper pub", but the Beerheadz just outside Nottingham station is certainly very conveniently located for a quick drink

HSP 2

Not sure I'd choose it over the Vat and Fiddle which is only a short walk away from the station anyway and more of a "proper pub", but the Beerheadz just outside Nottingham station is certainly very conveniently located for a quick drink

Where about is the Vat & Fiddle in Liverpool from Lime St station?
Is the Beerheadz the one that was the taxi office? On the left after you have come up from the platforms on to the concourse. If it is, a smashing little pub, must go again.

camflyer

Any idea when the Parcel Office will be opening at Liverpool St? It has been "opening soon" for over a year.

Mikey C

Established Member
Is the Beerheadz the one that was the taxi office? On the left after you have come up from the platforms on to the concourse. If it is, a smashing little pub, must go again.

Yes, it's the old taxi office outside

AW-BEERHEADZ-1.jpg

https://whatpub.com/pubs/NOT/657/beerheadz-nottingham-central

Status
Not open for further replies.