• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

Yes, it's the old taxi office outside

AW-BEERHEADZ-1.jpg

https://whatpub.com/pubs/NOT/657/beerheadz-nottingham-central

Please tell me where the Vat & Fiddle is in relation to Lime St station as I'm going to Liverpool in about 2 weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
Not sure I'd choose it over the Vat and Fiddle which is only a short walk away from the station anyway and more of a "proper pub", but the Beerheadz just outside Nottingham station is certainly very conveniently located for a quick drink

Please tell me where the Vat & Fiddle is in relation to Lime St station as I'm going to Liverpool in about 2 weeks.

I'm sure Mikey C is saying it's in Nottingham not Liverpool

Matt_pool

Yes, it's definitely not in Liverpool!

I now regularly go to The Crown on the corner of Lime Street and Skelhorne Street. It's a lot better since it had a refurb 12/18 months ago. There's always an interesting selection of real ale. I'd avoid Saturday though because it can get very busy.

Just along from The Crown is Sanctuary opposite The Vines "big house" . Sanctuary has 4 or 5 real ales and several craft beers.

As for The Vines - what a shame! It's a lovely building and was actually recently given Grade II listed building status; but it is owned by a family who run several "faux Irish" pubs. There's no real ale and it attracts a rowdy middle aged clientele who like cheap lager and bad karaoke!

Mikey C

Established Member

It's in Nottingham, hence my comment comparing it to Beerheadz...

HSP 2

Like you, I last went in 15 years or so ago. It was awful and I vowed never again. Will give it another go in view of your report.
Not sure I'd choose it over the Vat and Fiddle which is only a short walk away from the station anyway and more of a "proper pub", but the Beerheadz just outside Nottingham station is certainly very conveniently located for a quick drink
The first quote had been talking about the Crown in Liverpool, then you came back with your post and well I just put the Vat and Fiddle in Liverpool. Must cut down on Zeplin as I think I'm getting Dazed and Confused.
Is the Vat and Fiddle the white pub that you can see from Beerheadz?

algytaylor

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's a little pub/bar on Helsby station that I've been told is good.

Not on the station itself, but if you're on the Heart of Wales line, The Castle at Knucklas is great, and only a short walk away.

It's not _amazing_, but the Cross Foxes at Gobowen is handy for the station and perfectly serviceable.

Mikey C

Established Member
The first quote had been talking about the Crown in Liverpool, then you came back with your post and well I just put the Vat and Fiddle in Liverpool. Must cut down on Zeplin as I think I'm getting Dazed and Confused.
Is the Vat and Fiddle the white pub that you can see from Beerheadz?

Not an especially white building, but it's a short distance south of both the station and Beerheadz

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...3a5ef651!8m2!3d52.945761!4d-1.148253?hl=en-GB

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I can highly recommend the following railway pubs for the range of drinks on tap, atmosphere and the pleasantness of the staff.

- The Bridge, Amberley
Located next to Amberley railway station. Nice country pub with an inglenook fireplace, great ales.

- George & Dragon, Houghton Bridge
One of Sussex’s historic pubs and one with a royal connection. Located around half a mile from Amberley railway station.

- Rose & Crown, Trowbridge.
Located next to the railway station, decent location and a decent pint too.

- The Globe, Looe.
Located ajacent to the railway station, quality food and reasonably priced ale.

- The Ship Inn, Looe
Nautically themed in the centre of Looe, reasonably priced ale.

- Fisherman’s Arms, Looe
Reopened in October last year, when I went in it was a bit basic but other than that the booze was reasonably priced.

- Jolly Sailor, Looe
Oldest pub in Looe and has a wood burning stove. Great ales.

- The Plough, Duloe
Two miles from Causeland railway station, another pub that has a wood burning stove.

- Rising Sun, Umberleigh.
Not far from the railway station.

- Portsmouth Arms.
Only just reopened and not that far from the railway station. Has a wood buring stove so you won't be cold during winter.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A new second favourite: The Anvil, Shifnal. 2 minutes from the platform. Superb.

urbophile

Established Member
Yes, it's definitely not in Liverpool!

I now regularly go to The Crown on the corner of Lime Street and Skelhorne Street. It's a lot better since it had a refurb 12/18 months ago. There's always an interesting selection of real ale. I'd avoid Saturday though because it can get very busy.

Just along from The Crown is Sanctuary opposite The Vines "big house" . Sanctuary has 4 or 5 real ales and several craft beers.

As for The Vines - what a shame! It's a lovely building and was actually recently given Grade II listed building status; but it is owned by a family who run several "faux Irish" pubs. There's no real ale and it attracts a rowdy middle aged clientele who like cheap lager and bad karaoke!
Just opposite Lime Street (in St Johns Lane opposite the gardens behind St George's Hall) is Doctor Duncans. A while since I went in but the beer used to be good (Cains as was); the architecture is even better, being a former insurance building resplendent in amazing tiles and wood panelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.