• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A new pub to open in the old refreshment room ( near toilets ) on Platform 3 north end of Doncaster Station soon, thinks its to be called Draughtsman Arms.

Its going to be a small pub as not a very large area inside.

May have already been posted on here already.

Do we know when? It seems to have been "coming soon" for a while ;) I spend a lot of time at Doncaster and while there are a couple of decent ale houses within 5 minutes walk one on the station is always a good thing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Fullers is horrible. The archetypal bland southern ale with no taste or flavour and little body. London Pride was, in the past, a really decent pint and very drinkable. It isnt now it has gone for local/regional to national.

I won't hear a bad word said about ESB. Where I lived in Hemel we had a Fuller's pub in the same complex in Apsley, a pint of ESB in the sunshine by the canal...heaven.

If we're talking good pubs near a railway station, the Fishery Inn in Hemel Hempstead is good.

The Paddington and reading pubs are fuller's meaning over priced southern pop

Whist I agree that Fuller's do charge quite high prices, the beer is excellent when kept well. I can recommend quite a few excellent Fuller's pubs near stations in SWT land.

Oh I know. But at least they point in the right direction and have a choice of overpriced ales!

Fullers is horrible. The archetypal bland southern ale with no taste or flavour and little body. London Pride was, in the past, a really decent pint and very drinkable. It isnt now it has gone for local/regional to national.

Obviously that is all personal taste but I wont be wrong ;)

Once again I agree that London Pride has suffered by being offered round the country but you can still get excellent pints in South West and West London not too far from the brewery. Having lived up north I know that many a good northern brew also suffers when tasted too far from home.

I try to always sample the local brews when traveling.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I won't hear a bad word said about ESB. Where I lived in Hemel we had a Fuller's pub in the same complex in Apsley, a pint of ESB in the sunshine by the canal...heaven.

If we're talking good pubs near a railway station, the Fishery Inn in Hemel Hempstead is good.

I am a northerner and totally agree.

Whist I agree that Fuller's do charge quite high prices, the beer is excellent when kept well. I can recommend quite a few excellent Fuller's pubs near stations in SWT land.

You are all mad. It is the southern ale. Get some Workie Ticket or Double Maxim or Bolt Maker down you sharpish. ;) I will have to go back to ESB and give it a try. I really don't like Fullers at all mind. I think it tastes wrong and is often flat.

I do like my little pub in Fenny by the canal. Good view of the one train an hour on the Marston Vale line ( unless it is a Sunday!)

Last edited:

blue87

Both Codsall and Albrighton have pubs in the old station buildings.

Established Member
Both Codsall and Albrighton have pubs in the old station buildings.

Good to know they haven't closed since post #56 ;)

The Ale House at Chelmsford under the railway arches just outside the station is excellent, as is the Railway Tavern on the opposite side of the line.

matacaster

On Moderation
How about The Clothiers at Stocksmoor - adjacent to station platform. They also do a great Tapas 3 nights each week.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Good to know they haven't closed since post #56 ;)

The Ale House at Chelmsford under the railway arches just outside the station is excellent, as is the Railway Tavern on the opposite side of the line.

I have been to the one at Codsall which was quite good but the Albrighton one looks relatively new and possibly shares the same owners as the Codsall one.

There is the one at Downham Market but am in fear of repeating numerous previous threads on this subject. Someone should (probably already has) write a definitive guide to them all.

Established Member
There is the one at Downham Market but am in fear of repeating numerous previous threads on this subject. Someone should (probably already has) write a definitive guide to them all.

Change is to was, unless someone has taken it on again it closed in Oct 16.

Cheds

Mentioned above, but '301 MILES FROM LONDON' is indeed now open on platform 4 at Carlisle station.
By total coincidence (ahem) we had the first pints of Timothy Taylor's Landlord served by the manager, Rachel.
The place is very promising - 6 hanpull pumps, they were serving from four of these on their first day. The building is nice, they've taken out a fake flat ceiling to reveal a wooden frame Peak underneath and have tidied up stone fireplaces.
Apparently they will put up photos, memorabilia etc soon. A big improvement on what has been there before and well worth a go.

Cheers!

FenMan

Established Member
Although not station pubs, there's a good little set of CAMRA Good Beer Guide pubs very close to adjacent stations on the North Down Line.

Sandhurst - Rose & Crown
Blackwater - Mr. Bumble
Farnborough North - Prince of Wales

Then move on to North Camp and spoil the effect by drinking in The Old Ford (which backs onto Platform 1) - that one's definitely not in the Good Beer Guide!

anti-pacer

Established Member
Not quite on a station but very near to Shipley station is The Fox.

It's fantastic, the choice is amazing, and just a minute from the station.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Change is to was, unless someone has taken it on again it closed in Oct 16.

It did have very erratic and limited opening times. A lot of people complained about it not being open even at it's advertised hours. Pity though as I quite liked ti on the couple of occasions I managed to drop in.

Thatcham Xing

A few from me:

The Greyfriar - a few hundred metres from Reading's front entrance, proper beer-drinkers pub (not just because a mate of mine is the owner!)

The Dundas Arms at Kintbury

The Row Barge at Midgham (more a gastropub, but with a decent selection of ales)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The Railway in Faversham is a good start to a Faversham pub crawl. The Phoenix at Denmark Hill in the old station building is nice. The Wethers on P1 at Cannon St is becoming popular for cheap drinks before a night in the City.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Huddersfield - Head of Steam & Kings Head

Some years ago I had trouble getting into the Kings Head at Huddersfield en route to Stocksbridge Park Steels FC. I think Jamie Vardy was still playing for them at the time. The door on platform 1 was locked and the lady on the ticket barrier refused at first to allow me to go through as she said (incorrectly) that I couldn't break my journey on a cheap day return from Liverpool to Penistone. I was doubly annoyed as I wanted to go to the ticket office to buy a CDR from Penistone to Chapeltown to drink at the Commercial. After 15 mins she relented but the delay cost me at least a pint.

I think they were trying to clamp down as CDRs from Liverpool to Bradford (via Huddersfield and Halifax) and Penistone via Huddersfield were cheaper at the time than CDRs from Liverpool to Huddersfield. Now all three are £29.40.

Out of interest, can you now access the two pubs directly from platform 1 at all times or do they still have to shut their doors at certain times?

RJ21

There are a couple of others I can think of, one at Urmston that I can't remember the name of. I went in once when I had to visit Urmston, the beer wasn't brilliant but I put it down to picking one which hadn't been served that day, I'd always give it the benefit of the doubt and try again in the future.

Prince of Wales at Foxfield, never been in but I have had their beers elsewhere and they were good.

There's one which has been in the press lately for being possibly the smallest micropub in the country which is on a station in the south, but can't remember which one.

Must try the one at Carlisle, might engineer a visit as I am travelling up to Glasgow and back in the next week.

Might call into the King's Head in Huddersfield this evening, the mission is Magic Rock's annual release of Unhuman Cannonball but Huddersfield has got some really good pubs lately so it feels wrong just going to one place. I have only gone into the King's lately from the street but in the evenings have used the door on Platform 1 to get into the HoS, but it was at 22:00.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Out of interest, can you now access the two pubs directly from platform 1 at all times or do they still have to shut their doors at certain times?

At the Head of Steam it's discouraged but not strictly enforced- the Kings Head used to have an approach of "knock and wait" but that was before the refurbishment. As there isn't a bay at that end, there's less chance of anyone using it as a shortcut.

As I said earlier, because going via the platform is the only step-free access to both pubs, it has to be kept available in some form.

lincolnshire

Well the Draughtsman,s Arms on Doncaster looks as if its nearly ready to open, they have a bar in place and a chap was cleaning up as if they were going to be open in the next few days. Its not very big and I wonder where the cellar is?, it used to be a refreshment room years ago near to the ladies and gent s toilets on Platform 3B.

Gathursty

Established Member
Me and my girlfriend had a quick drink at The Bird In Hand a street away from Princes Risborough awaiting the Bubble Car shuttle yesterday. Recommended for the service and the upright keyboard if you fancy a tinkle.

boxy321

The Broomfield Tavern in Coventry offers a view of the Nuneaton line and is where I got my only ever sighting of the Class 230 before it spat diesel everywhere and caught fire. Was local CAMRA pub of the year last year.

DelW

Established Member
There's one which has been in the press lately for being possibly the smallest micropub in the country which is on a station in the south, but can't remember which one.

Claygate, on the New Line to Guildford. IIRC it was the taxi office. Seems to have very restricted hours though, a friend of mine has been trying to visit it for a while without success.

cogload

The Village along Wilton Road in Salisbury. An "interesting" pub stuffed with railway items.

xotGD

Established Member
Since it looks like we are now including pubs not quite in, on or under the station, The Boathouse at Wylam.

I also remember visiting quite a few over the years with names like The Railway or The Station for some reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.