• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

camflyer

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
No very different places. The Waterloo Tap is a modern bar under the arches on the way to the Royal Festival Hall (https://goo.gl/maps/iGyLGn4uS8enXejf8) and serves a good mixture of beers. The Hole in the Wall (https://goo.gl/maps/68S9Dcn9hFXaE7sN7) is a very scary place which looks like it hasn't been redecorated since the 70s.

Thanks for the clarification - but don't be scared of the Hole in the Wall. I have had many a nice quiet pint there on the way home and it serves a good selection of beers. (and you can hear the trains rumbling overhead). The Waterloo Tap must be a recent phenomenon.

camflyer

Thanks for the clarification - but don't be scared of the Hole in the Wall. I have had many a nice quiet pint there on the way home and it serves a good selection of beers. (and you can hear the trains rumbling overhead). The Waterloo Tap must be a recent phenomenon.

I've had many an "interesting" visit to the Hole in the Wall. Always seem to get talking to an odd character at the bar.

I don't know how long the Waterloo Tap has been there but it must be at least 4 years.

geoffk

Established Member
I travelled to Weston-super-Mare station on Monday and this was my first visit since July 1981! The station looked much the same as I remembered it, save for the addition of ticket gates. As a result the bar called "Off the Rails", which has access from the street and the platform, has been divided in two by a locked gate, the platform side being mainly a cafe and the street side a pub. "What Pub" says "During the day you can enter the cafe area and order a beer, but to sit in the pub area you have to go out and round." Not very useful if you have a ticket which doesn't allow break of journey. And why only "during the day"? Does it mean that in the evening they won't serve beer in the cafe area?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I travelled to Weston-super-Mare station on Monday and this was my first visit since July 1981! The station looked much the same as I remembered it, save for the addition of ticket gates. As a result the bar called "Off the Rails", which has access from the street and the platform, has been divided in two by a locked gate, the platform side being mainly a cafe and the street side a pub. "What Pub" says "During the day you can enter the cafe area and order a beer, but to sit in the pub area you have to go out and round." Not very useful if you have a ticket which doesn't allow break of journey. And why only "during the day"? Does it mean that in the evening they won't serve beer in the cafe area?

There always was an air of desperation about First Great Western's barrier policy.

Philip

On Moderation
The Gathurst Station Inn always comes to mind when I think 'railway pubs', even though I've only been in it once. Is it still going?

4COR

No one has mentioned the Brunswick at Derby? Derby station seems particularly well served for pubs!

CHAPS2034

"What Pub" says "During the day you can enter the cafe area and order a beer, but to sit in the pub area you have to go out and round." Not very useful if you have a ticket which doesn't allow break of journey. And why only "during the day"? Does it mean that in the evening they won't serve beer in the cafe area?

Not very useful if you have a ticket which doesn't allow break of journey.
But you CAN get a beer in the cafe area at any time that the licensing permits, so you can get a beer without leaving the platform-side. You just can't sit in the pub bit, but the cafe is entirely adequate to enjoy a beer

And why only "during the day"? Does it mean that in the evening they won't serve beer in the cafe area?

I suspect that the evening is when the ticket barriers are left open and they can unlock the gate in the pub/cafe. This is similar to Titanic Brewery's Bod bar on the platform at Stoke on Trent which has a low barrier separating platform-side and landside. When the ticket barriers are switched off in the evening, the barrier in the pub is slid away.

geoffk

Established Member
But you CAN get a beer in the cafe area at any time that the licensing permits, so you can get a beer without leaving the platform-side. You just can't sit in the pub bit, but the cafe is entirely adequate to enjoy a beer

I suspect that the evening is when the ticket barriers are left open and they can unlock the gate in the pub/cafe. This is similar to Titanic Brewery's Bod bar on the platform at Stoke on Trent which has a low barrier separating platform-side and landside. When the ticket barriers are switched off in the evening, the barrier in the pub is slid away.
Yes good points, thanks for reply.

High Dyke

Established Member
Bridlington station buffet to be "redeveloped". Artefacts up for sale: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/her...ation-buffet-set-to-be-redeveloped-1-10168772
Blimey! I'm glad I called in there for a pint or so in November.

Grantham now has one, The Whistle Stop. It's towards the south end of platform 1, beyond the footbridge. There is also access from Station Road. https://whatpub.com/pubs/GRN/112/whistle-stop-micro-pub-grantham Opening times seem to vary, so whatpub may not be totally accurate, but I believe they do have a face-ache page.

HSP 2

Well hear goes, The Prince Of Wales Foxfield, top pub, top Landlord and Lady (Stuart and Lynda) they have been in the pub since 1997 I think Stuart started off Tigertops Brewery and now has Foxfield Brewery, did I not mention that it's a brew pub. Normal has about 8 heads on, with at least one dark ale. Good home cooking. It's a bit of a hike from the station depending on traffic it could take 2 mins. If your going to go check out the web site, just search the pub name. I haven't been for about a month must get up to see them both.

The second one is The Ravenglass Arms at Ravenglass if you go to Ravenglass traveling north leave the station going towards the estuary and turn left the pub is about 150 yrds down the road has about 6 heads on, good view of the Cumbria Coast line going North (bring back the 37s). Check the web site for opening times.

Revaulx

Well hear goes, The Prince Of Wales Foxfield, top pub, top Landlord and Lady (Stuart and Lynda) they have been in the pub since 1997 I think Stuart started off Tigertops Brewery and now has Foxfield Brewery, did I not mention that it's a brew pub. Normal has about 8 heads on, with at least one dark ale. Good home cooking. It's a bit of a hike from the station depending on traffic it could take 2 mins. If your going to go check out the web site, just search the pub name. I haven't been for about a month must get up to see them both.

The second one is The Ravenglass Arms at Ravenglass if you go to Ravenglass traveling north leave the station going towards the estuary and turn left the pub is about 150 yrds down the road has about 6 heads on, good view of the Cumbria Coast line going North (bring back the 37s). Check the web site for opening times.
He did indeed, and when he left Wakefield for the rural delights of Foxfield he passed Tigertops on to the excellent Barry Smith, who has taken it to even greater triumphs. We had two barrels of his beer at our silver wedding do.

CHAPS2034

Stuart and Lynda are retiring and the pub is up for sale again.

From their website here
https://princeofwalesfoxfield.co.uk/important-update/

A prospective buyer has come forward with a firm interest in purchasing the pub as a going concern.

A fellow member of the Society of Independent Brewers involved in the brewing industry locally, the prospective buyer is known to Stuart and Lynda and shares their values and passion for real ale. Stuart and Lynda believe that such a sale would be a good solution for all concerned: it would achieve their objective of maintaining the current ethos of the pub and enable ownership to be transferred relatively smoothly and easily.

Stuart and Lynda will be having detailed discussions with the prospective buyer and if these progress well there will be an opportunity for the community to meet him at an event to be held at the Prince of Wales. Be assured that things are looking positive at present for retaining a pub that meets the needs of the community.

Thank you for showing your support for the Prince of Wales pub.

Website here
https://princeofwalesfoxfield.co.uk/

What Pub entry here
https://whatpub.com/pubs/FUR/1211/prince-of-wales-foxfield

Never heard the term "heads" for handpumps, handpulls, wickets. Heads to me always mans the toilets on a Navy vessel 8-)

High Dyke

Established Member
Well hear goes, The Prince Of Wales Foxfield, top pub, top Landlord and Lady (Stuart and Lynda) they have been in the pub since 1997 I think Stuart started off Tigertops Brewery and now has Foxfield Brewery, did I not mention that it's a brew pub. Normal has about 8 heads on, with at least one dark ale. Good home cooking. It's a bit of a hike from the station depending on traffic it could take 2 mins. If your going to go check out the web site, just search the pub name. I haven't been for about a month must get up to see them both...
Visited the Prince of Wales a few years ago, whilst holidaying in the area...Their guest beer came from the brewery that's half a mile from my house. :D

Roose

Do you perhaps mean the Pennington Arms?

The (Ravenglass & Eskdale) Railway-owned Ratty Arms on the northbound main line platform is also good.

Class 37s on passenger services? No thanks - we need this line as a reliable public service not a railway lottery.

HSP 2

The Pennington Arms is a hotel about another 50 yrd on. Only normal has one beer on.

Lets have TPE running the line then.

CHAPS2034

The Pennington Arms is a hotel about another 50 yrd on. Only normal has one beer on.

Lets have TPE running the line then.

The "Ravenglass Arms" is actually The Inn at Ravenglass
https://whatpub.com/pubs/CUM/224/inn-at-ravenglass-ravenglass
Jolly excellent pub and I once missed a train as the beer and company were excellent

The "Pennington Arms" is actually known as the Pennington Hotel
https://whatpub.com/pubs/CUM/369/pennington-hotel-ravenglass

Details of the Ratty Arms here
https://whatpub.com/pubs/CUM/385/ratty-arms-ravenglass

With their current operational state, you don't want to let TPE anywhere near it. Would be even worse than when the 37s were running.

HSP 2

The "Ravenglass Arms" is actually The Inn at Ravenglass
https://whatpub.com/pubs/CUM/224/inn-at-ravenglass-ravenglass
Jolly excellent pub and I once missed a train as the beer and company were excellent

The "Pennington Arms" is actually known as the Pennington Hotel
https://whatpub.com/pubs/CUM/369/pennington-hotel-ravenglass

Details of the Ratty Arms here
https://whatpub.com/pubs/CUM/385/ratty-arms-ravenglass

With their current operational state, you don't want to let TPE anywhere near it. Would be even worse than when the 37s were running.

Your quite correct in that the Ravenglass Arms is the Inn at Ravenglass. How did I get that wrong????? If the Landlady gets to hear about that my life will be hell.

Pennington Hotel ex Pennington Arms. it's still a boozer.

Millom small bar on the station don't know the name or if it's still open.
Leave the station and head towards town passed the Bridge Café (a good breakfast) and head to the Bear On the Square normal has about 6 heads on.

Matt_pool

No one has mentioned the Brunswick at Derby? Derby station seems particularly well served for pubs!

I've been there several times. It's a great pub/micro brewery.

And a 1 minute walk down the road is the excellent Alexandra Hotel which is full of railway memorabilia, plus the cab from a 37 in the beer garden!

Llandudno

Established Member
I've been there several times. It's a great pub/micro brewery.

And a 1 minute walk down the road is the excellent Alexandra Hotel which is full of railway memorabilia, plus the cab from a 37 in the beer garden!
Yep, I think the beer and memorabilia is better in the Alex.

There is a wide range of different flavoured pies and scotch eggs with a ‘scoreboard’ indicating how many of each variety are left!

Wychwood93

I have been to the Brunswick many times - meetings there and other odd occasions. Excellent choice of ales etc. and cheap food as well. I would recommend it. I am aware of the Alex and have yet to go in there - the favourable comments above appear to make an extra minute on foot worthwhile.

BowesRanger

Chaps, and suggestions for a pub by Inverness Station this evening? Probably have an hour or so to kill before getting the sleeper back home.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I have been to the Brunswick many times - meetings there and other odd occasions. Excellent choice of ales etc. and cheap food as well. I would recommend it. I am aware of the Alex and have yet to go in there - the favourable comments above appear to make an extra minute on foot worthwhile.

I was in both yesterday and, while visiting Belper for football noticed that the Railway Inn (just down the alley from Belper station) has reopened, now run by Lincoln Green brewery with about 8 ales on. Belper also has 4 micropubs within 5 minutes walk of the station so is an excellent place for a pub crawl!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Millom small bar on the station don't know the name or if it's still open.
The Hardknott "On Track" bar at Millom station closed down around three years ago. It's now the Trackside Cafe, and I don't think it serves beer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.