• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Stations By The Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris M

Ryde Pier Head has been mentioned several times, but Ryde Esplanade hasn't yet, and services terminate there at times (e.g. if the weather is too bad to go out onto the pier).

If we're not restricting it to termini then there are sea views I believe from Dunster, Blue Anchor and very nearly Watchet.

The closed Goswick station on the ECML north of Lindisfarne would have had grand sea views.

I don't think Berwick upon Tweed quite does and I'm not sure about Dunbar.

Shoeburyness I think is another very nearly but not quite. Nearby Chalkwell has fine watery views but their estuarine rather than the sea proper.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member

Shoeburyness I think is another very nearly but not quite. Nearby Chalkwell has fine watery views but their estuarine rather than the sea proper.

I always thought it should be Southend-on-Thames rather than 'on-Sea'.
Further up the Essex Coast I tihnk Clacton is close-ish and Parkeston Quay (or whatever it's called these days).

lewisf

You can certainly see the sea when you exit Brighton.

And I just want to say 'Shoreham-by-sea'. (ok, you can't see the sea from it and trains only terminate there when there are engineering works but is has 'by sea' in its name lol)

LE Greys

Established Member
I don't think Berwick upon Tweed quite does and I'm not sure about Dunbar.

Berwick's a bit cut off, partly because it was built in the middle of a castle, and so parts of the walls and the town are in the way.

For through stations next to the sea, obviously nothing beats Dawlish, but a few others I know have decent sea views. West Runton (just about), High Kelling Halt (surprisingly, but it's on a hill), Dalmeny, North Queensferry, Burntisland and Kinghorn are the main ones I can think of at the moment. Golf Street's not bad either.

Ivo

Established Member

Shoeburyness is ~300m from the sea. If the road layout was slightly different you would be able to see the coast from the station. It can be seen from the level crossing immediately adjacent to the station heading off to the MoD site though.

Chalkwell certainly does have views of the Estuary, but more often that not the water isn't there :lol:

I always thought it should be Southend-on-Thames rather than 'on-Sea'.

In the same way that Weston-super-Mare should be "Weston-super-Severn" then? Both are on a wide stretch of water officially defined as an Estuary that in practice is effectively beyond the standard point the water is considered to be in a river. Once you get past the Medway heading downstream the definition of the Thames is very ambigious, epecially on the northern side. Officially, The Nore (a sandbank) defines the boundary; on the north side, Shoebury Ness (note the way I've typed that) is usually accepted as the boundary.

That close to the sea a name of [town]-on-[river] just doesn't work on a wide estuary. Most people would tell you it is the sea. (Only us pedants won't ;))

scotsman

Established Member
Burntisland, Kinghorn, Carnoustie

(Dalmeny and North Queensferry, despite being at either end of the Forth Bridge, have no sea view!)

LE Greys

Established Member
In the same way that Weston-super-Mare should be "Weston-super-Severn" then? Both are on a wide stretch of water officially defined as an Estuary that in practice is effectively beyond the standard point the water is considered to be in a river. Once you get past the Medway heading downstream the definition of the Thames is very ambigious, epecially on the northern side. Officially, The Nore (a sandbank) defines the boundary; on the north side, Shoebury Ness (note the way I've typed that) is usually accepted as the boundary.

That close to the sea a name of [town]-on-[river] just doesn't work on a wide estuary. Most people would tell you it is the sea. (Only us pedants won't ;))

There are various definitions of what is "the sea". There's the High Seas (anything 12 miles or more from the coast) and territorial seas (inside the 12-mile limit) which are definitely sea. Then it gets tricky. One definition is whether it is salt water or fresh water, which becomes tricky in estuaries since it can fluctuate - and anyway the Baltic is practically fresh while the Caspian Sea is a mixture even though it is a lake. Another is whether it is tidal or not. If that were the case, the Mediterranean is not tidal but the Thames is to Richmond and would be tidal to Reading if it had no locks.

Is that pedantic enough? Reading-on-Sea anyone?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, I suppose I do, but didn't boat trains sometimes get quite close to the sea to load pax and cargo onto ferries? Probably not much closer than they do now, though, I suppose.

This is what I call close!

Clip

Established Member
Margate station is very close to the sea :) (And is the terminus for HS1 services via Canterbury)

Dont rate it as a place though tbh :P Much prefer its neighbour Broadstairs

Indeed Margate is a dump but you can see the sea - but even though trains terminate at Broadstairs too you cant see the sea from the station ;)

cuccir

Established Member
Cleethorpes isn't beside the sea, as it the River Humber at that point ;)

Seeing as we're going for pedantry on this thread, there is no such thing as the River Humber ;)

A little diversion from this thread, but what's the station the furthest inland from which you can see the sea?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Seeing as we're going for pedantry on this thread, there is no such thing as the River Humber ;)

A little diversion from this thread, but what's the station the furthest inland from which you can see the sea?

Snowdon Summit?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Colwyn Bay

Historically the view was quite spendid until BR walled it off.

lewisf

I always thought it was tidal as far as Teddington - and without locks it would be tidal as far as Staines.

Correct about the river being tidal to Teddington, but only partially as Richmond lock keeps the river at at least half tide, and is fully open for a few hours near high tide.

I've only recently moved to Kingston from Shoreham-by-Sea and whenever I go to the riverside I still think at first 'the tide is in', coming from a town with a wide tidal estuary.

But back to stations that you can see the sea from, Seaford in East Sussex.

LE Greys

Established Member
Correct about the river being tidal to Teddington, but only partially as Richmond lock keeps the river at at least half tide, and is fully open for a few hours near high tide.

I've only recently moved to Kingston from Shoreham-by-Sea and whenever I go to the riverside I still think at first 'the tide is in', coming from a town with a wide tidal estuary.

But back to stations that you can see the sea from, Seaford in East Sussex.

Aha, I see, that's interesting. I suppose how high up the tides used to go depends on who you speak to. :)

Essexman

Established Member
In Essex -

Clacton is about half a mile from the sea. Walton on the Naze is closer.

Harwich International is closer than the terminus at Harwich Town.
Manningtree is close to the tidal Stour estuary and I think you can see the water from the station.

The London bound platform at Chalkwell forms the sea wall, but no trains terminate here. Leigh on Sea is also very close and the odd train used to (and may still) terminate here.

Several stations on the Southminster line are close to the tidal Crouch.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Indeed this is so and because today appears to be "Pedant Thursday", I will venture to add that the Humber estuary receives the waters of four rivers nearest to the estuarine confluence:-
River Ouse
River Trent
River Hull
River Axholme

Only on "Pedant Thursday" will you find the term "estuarine confluence" used on this forum......:oops::roll:

anthony263

Established Member
Fishguard Harbour.

What about Kidwelly and Ferryside. Pembrey & Burry Port station is not that far from Burry Port Harbour either.

Status
Not open for further replies.