• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Stations By The Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelly_Diesel

I was in Cleethorpes the other day (Had a nice stroll on the prom, thanks) and past the station which has a good view of the sea. Got me thinking, how many stations are there that trains terminate that stop in view of the sea or such? I can thing of 2 from memory, Cleethorpes and Portsmouth Harbour. Can anyway suggested any other's? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Slight technicality ....

Cleethorpes isn't beside the sea, as it the River Humber at that point ;)

bAzTNM

Wouldn't say it was a sea, but Craigendoran, near Helensburgh, in Scotland, has a nice view of the River Clyde right next door to it.

Wath Yard

Stranraer Harbour
Fishguard Harbour
Heysham
Probably several on the Cumbrian coast - Flimby being one.

ushawk

Established Member
Normans Bay, fairly close - line passes very close to the beach

EDIT - Actually next station along, Cooden Beach, might be better

Schnellzug

Established Member
technically, the question asked how many stations where Trains terminate, and I don't know how many do at Dawlish. I know, pedantry is very undignified, and I hate myself for it. :( Anyway, how about Exmouth? Or Kingswear?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I was in Cleethorpes the other day (Had a nice stroll on the prom, thanks) and past the station which has a good view of the sea. Got me thinking, how many stations are there that trains terminate that stop in view of the sea or such? I can thing of 2 from memory, Cleethorpes and Portsmouth Harbour. Can anyway suggested any other's? Thanks

Kyle of Lochalsh has a clear view of the Loch, Penzance I believe has a reasonably clear view of the sea over the car park. A number of others like Mallaig should, but don't, because of buildings in the way.

starrymarkb

Established Member
technically, the question asked how many stations where Trains terminate, and I don't know how many do at Dawlish. I know, pedantry is very undignified, and I hate myself for it. :( Anyway, how about Exmouth? Or Kingswear?

Both Rivers I'm afraid...

LE Greys

Established Member
When Mallaig station was opened you could walk out of the station, cross the road and step onto a stony beach. For the last century successive land reclamation and harbour-building projects have moved the sea further and further away...

When I went there, first thing I saw was an enormous ferry's bow sticking straight up in the air.

Portsmouth Harbour doesn't exactly count, but it's close enough. Same for Lowestoft, but not Great Yarmouth (wrong side of the river). Sheringham and Cromer are close, but the angle is wrong and anyway they're high up. Kingswear and Minehead might count at a stretch as well.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Folkestone Harbour (disused at present, I think). A long time since I have been to Falmouth, St. Ives, Newquay & Minehead - any views of the sea from these ? And quite a few closed stations from which you could see the sea, or at least a river mouth where it was about to become the sea, such as Dover Western Docks & Fleetwood.

LE Greys

Established Member
Folkestone Harbour (disused at present, I think). A long time since I have been to Falmouth, St. Ives, Newquay & Minehead - any views of the sea from these ? And quite a few closed stations from which you could see the sea, or at least a river mouth where it was about to become the sea, such as Dover Western Docks & Fleetwood.

Minehead, not quite, just need to cross the road and the sea comes into sight. Falmouth Docks, again almost, but you're a little too low. Decent view of the harbour, though.

With closed stations, there are too many to list, from Aldeburgh to Ilfracombe.

Last edited:

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Margate station is very close to the sea :) (And is the terminus for HS1 services via Canterbury)

Dont rate it as a place though tbh :P Much prefer its neighbour Broadstairs

Schnellzug

Established Member
Swanage, If Mowlem Theatre was not there. You could see the sea from the station buffers.
Similarly, you can very nearly see the beach at Weymouth from right outside the Station; or at least, you can see the sky above it. There's a big clock tower in the way, but you can see round it,.

Status
Not open for further replies.