• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Themed Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Rather weak at 2.8%!

There is a 'Deltic Diesel' beer, and when the DPS ran a charter to Salisbury, one of the pubs got in touch saying they were putting it on to coincide with the tour. I decided to be sensible and not head there straight away with the crowds, so went elsewhere before calling in to sample it. What I failed to consider was that all of it would have already been consumed by those who got there before me. :(

fgwrich

Established Member
There's a few Railway Related beers out there, you just need to look around for them. Sharps do have a special brew 'Betjeman Ale' brewed for the Betjeman Arms gastropub in St Pancras Intl. Another one i've had lately is this one, brought from the brilliant Tuckers Maltings (Really is worth a visit if you end up down that way, the shop is amazing!) in Newton Abbot - incidently, there are a few more railway beers in their too!

'Western Apprentice' Brewed by the RCH brewery in Western. :)

Attachments

• 407879_10151234795024849_1529509782_n.jpg
    407879_10151234795024849_1529509782_n.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 32

Michael.Y

Established Member
Flying Scotsman by the Caledonian Brewery

7147822781_902c758e18_z.jpg

Drsatan

Established Member
A brewery in Teignmouth produced an ale called 'Pacer Pale Ale' which was sold on the FGW 142 farewell tour in November 2011! (I did take a photo of the bottle but don't have it to hand)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Bewdley Brewery produce a whole range of different bottled ales for the Severn Valley Railway, named for the locomotives resident on the line - Off the top of my head, I can recall bottles of "Peppercorn Pedigree", "Bittern", "Black 5 Special", "Flying Pig" and "2857".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite a decent beer as well, although nearly spluttered into a different pint when I saw it on the pump clip.
I had a pint of "Northern Pacer" a little while ago and while the title certainly amuses, I didn't rate it very much, more's the pity.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Rather weak at 2.8%!
It was its 'weakness' that led to me trying it!
I was going to be driving later and so asked for a pint of shandy to be mixed from one of the stronger real ales (which is always a good way to ruin their taste) when the person serving suggested that I might prefer one of these, and it would avoid all that sugar. I smiled at the name, agreed about the sugar and accepted a pint.

I agree with 142094 that it was a "decent beer" - for its strength - with a pleasant taste. Certainly much more enjoyable than a shandy!

theblackwatch

Established Member
People have mentioned other railway related bottled beers, and I agree there are plenty of them around. I'm sure I am not the only person who keeps the bottles of any railway labelled beers - anyone who has visited my house will see a long line of them above my kitchen cupboards!

fgwrich

Established Member
People have mentioned other railway related bottled beers, and I agree there are plenty of them around. I'm sure I am not the only person who keeps the bottles of any railway labelled beers - anyone who has visited my house will see a long line of them above my kitchen cupboards!

I know the feeling!

We've decided to wait till another fine day and just photograph the bottles, keeping only a few good ones!

Phil6219

The Trackside pub at Bury Bolton St (East Lancs Railway) always has some railway themed ales for obvious reasons. More-so when there is an event on.

"Deltic Diesel" (as already mentioned) is exceptionally popular and tastes excellent.
"Sulzer Slayer" is a mighty fine ale too
There is also "Ernest Ale" which I'm not sure on the history of but either way we have it due to our Class 14 being named "Ernest"
There was a rather dark ale or stout with Black Five in the name (can't think of it right now)
The above are all guest ales which are rotated quite well so do find themselves back on around every month/two months or so.
Piston Broke - aside from being a clever play on words is a permanent one, simple and yet very nice.

There is also the railway's own "East Lancashire Railway Ale" which is exceptionally nice.

Needless to say all of the above are very easy to drink and I have tried drinking my body-weight in all :D

Phil 8-)

Dennis

Established Member
Piston Broke - aside from being a clever play on words is a permanent one, simple and yet very nice.

Piston broke is brewed by the Box steam brewery who also produce 'tunnel vison' (celebrating, you guessed it, Box tunnel) and 'chuffin ale' which celebrates IKB and the GWR.

Among my bottle collection is also Types 1-4 from the Red Rock brewery, IIRC this was brewed specially for the SDR and Slammer Ale which was available on the Souther Slammer railtour.

Also, for homebrew fans, you can get Arkells GWR strong bitter kits.

fgwrich

Established Member
Piston broke is brewed by the Box steam brewery who also produce 'tunnel vison' (celebrating, you guessed it, Box tunnel) and 'chuffin ale' which celebrates IKB and the GWR.

Among my bottle collection is also Types 1-4 from the Red Rock brewery, IIRC this was brewed specially for the SDR and Slammer Ale which was available on the Souther Slammer railtour.

Also, for homebrew fans, you can get Arkells GWR strong bitter kits.

And Derail Ale too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.