• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway themed streets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Mallard Gardens

Sometimes names like this are just coincidence. For instance, in Knutsford there's a Mallard Close that's right next to the Altrincham to Chester line but a lot of the streets around there are given bird or duck names as it's also very close to the wetland on the edge of Tatton Park.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidL

Bellerophon Way, Haydock, St Helens.
The Tesco in Haydock was built on the site of the Haydock Foundry, builder of several Evans locos, including Bellerophon.

Crisso

There's 'Southern Way' in Wadebridge North Cornwall on the site of the trackbed of the North Cornwall Southern Railway/Region Line and adjacent to Wadebridge Station Museum.

There's also a Bulleid Way in Bude, North Cornwall. Mind you, not sure if its original or rebuilt...! <g>

gg1

Established Member
The access road to the redeveloped Wolverhampton Low Level site is called Broad Gauge way.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Around Neasden LU depot are:
Great Central Way
Verney Street
Chesham Street
Quainton Street
Aylesbury Street

pitdiver

What about Arnos Grove? Are you going to explain this?

If you come out of Arnos Grove tube stn into Bowes Road turn left and then take first turning on left, through Arnos Park. On the other side of the park is a road called Arnos Grove

John55

If you come out of Arnos Grove tube stn into Bowes Road turn left and then take first turning on left, through Arnos Park. On the other side of the park is a road called Arnos Grove

Yes, but this is not named after the station but the land on which it is built. Arnos Grove (the area) had been known as such for many years (>100) before the railway came as it was the name of the estate on which the houses have subsequently been built.

Welshman

Established Member
There's a newish housing development in Grantham called "Mallard Quarter"

I wonder if it refers to the duck, or the fact its built on the site of the old Grantham engine shed.

LE Greys

Established Member
Gresley Way in Stevenage, which seems to live in splendid isolation (with no 'Ivatt Street' or 'Stirling Road' near by. However, there are quite a few bird-themed roads just to the west, including Woodcock Road, Falcon Close, Kestrel Close, Bittern Close and Osprey Gardens, but nothing to do with Mallards (or any ducks for that matter).

I once had a whole series of fictional roads with sames such as 'Bowen-Cooke Road' or 'Ramsbottom Street', although that book has since 'died'.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Meanwhile in Gateshead, where the shed used to be, we find Hudson Streen, Fletcher Road, Wordsell Drive, Colombo Square, Cameronion Square, Willbrook House, Tranquil House, Fairway Court and Kenilworth House. I think there was supposed to be a Bittern House as well.

deltic1989

Established Member
There is a small dead end in Lincoln called Railway Park Close (just off Boultham Park Road, near the old Ruston works),and I used to live in a flat on Eastleigh Close.

pitdiver

Yes, but this is not named after the station but the land on which it is built. Arnos Grove (the area) had been known as such for many years (>100) before the railway came as it was the name of the estate on which the houses have subsequently been built.

Many apologies I stand corrected and suitably admonished. Amazing considering that I lived only 200 yards from "Arnolds" Grove station for 35 years.:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.