• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway timetable for level crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catwoman21

Does anyone know if there's a site that shows the time a train crosses a certain level crossing? This would be Bruern. I am not sure which rail companies use this line but the nearest main stations would be Kingham, Moreton and Charlbury. I think Virgin is one of the companies! If I do a search it presumes I want to buy a ticket, which I don't. Grateful for any advice.

The crossing forms part of a walk me and husband like to do and I like to film the train as it goes past. But they're usually only a couple an hour so it'd be useful to be able to time the walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Does anyone know if there's a site that shows the time a train crosses a certain level crossing? This would be Bruern. I am not sure which rail companies use this line but the nearest main stations would be Kingham, Moreton and Charlbury. I think Virgin is one of the companies! If I do a search it presumes I want to buy a ticket, which I don't. Grateful for any advice.

Are you wanting to view the trains at the crossing or want the timetable to help you cross in some way? The latter is a complete no no!

steamybrian

Established Member
Despite the three locations that were given I located Bruern Crossing as being about midway between Shipton and Kingham stations or approx 1.5 miles from each. By examining a timetable with Kingham station and adding approx 2 minutes for trains towards London and minus 2 minutes for trains from London will give the times you require.

The question also rings alarm bells with me as the why and wherefore of asking the question particularly from a new member.
As said previously there is a difference to what is in the public timetable because trains will run that are not in the public timetable.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Bruern LC is not a recognised timing point in the railway timetabling system. Therefore trains are not timed to pass there at any specific time. You would need to interpolate the approximate passing time from the timings given for the timing points either side of Bruern.

To the west that would be either Moreton in Marsh or Kingham (the latter would only be a timing point if the train is scheduled to stop there).

To the east that would be either Shipton or Ascott under Wychwood (again, the former is only a timing point if the train stops there).

From west to east, the mileage of these points is:
  • Moreton: 91 miles and 61 chains along the line
  • Kingham: 84mi59ch
  • Bruern LC: 83mi15ch
  • Shipton: 81mi59ch
  • Ascott: 80mi33ch
The linespeed is 90mph from a point just east of Moreton, through Bruern LC, until a point just west of Shipton. The linespeed is 75mph from there until past Ascott.

Please note that you cannot rely on any of these timings (let alone interpolated timings) to determine whether it is safe to cross the line. You cannot assume that trains will run to the timetable, or that every train will be listed in the timetable shown in RealTimeTrains.

If you are in any doubt, stay clear of the crossing and speak to the signaller.

Peter C

Established Member
The only TOC (Train Operating Company) to run trains over Bruern Crossing is Great Western Railway, which is owned by First Group - Virgin doesn't operate over the Cotswold Line. As with other posts above, you must not rely on timings for when to cross; if you're looking for when trains are going to pass the crossing, you'd probably be better going to Kingham or Shipton (or even Charlbury or Moreton).
Bruern is a small village and the crossing is down a small road with little to no space for people to stand and watch the trains go by: there's a field next to the road by the crossing but I'd expect that's private land.

-Peter

There is no way to know with 100% certainty when a train is or isn't passing, as there are train times that are not publicly available. For an idea of when some trains will probably pass, I'd suggest looking at realtimetrains in detailed mode for Kingham and adding a couple of minutes for trains towards Oxford and Paddington, and subtracting them for trains from those places. Generally there is one an hour in each direction, at about five past and ten past, with extras at peak times. There will be some extras in terms of freight etc that might not appear on realtimetrains though.

Peter C

Established Member
The crossing forms part of a walk me and husband like to do and I like to film the train as it goes past. But they're usually only a couple an hour so it'd be useful to be able to time the walk.
Thanks for the extra information. Seeing as this is the case, I'd go with what others have recommended.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/simple/KGM/2021-04-04/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt will take you to the RealTime Trains page for Kingham. Change the time and date for when you might want to go for a walk and then those times are pretty much the same as trains going past Bruern; two minutes won't make much of a difference but if you want to know when the trains are likely to be passing through, see @SteelWeelApeal's post above.

-Peter

Catwoman21

Thanks for all the information and knowledgeable replies. There is nothing sinister in my asking, I assure you. The Moderator already asked and cleared it. Bruern crossing is on a country lane by a river bridge and there is room to view the trains going past without any danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.