• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Railway to the Capital" - A book

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a small book at the moment, I think it will be £3.99 - but all of the proceeds will go towards the Tube Bomb charity.

It's all about my recent disastrous attempt to do the World Record - and what I did instead to entertain myself during the day. It's quite a humourous writeup of the day, and at the moment, it is going very well in printing.

If anyone would like to purchase a copy, please do contact me.

(Please see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4665385.stm for more information on the Tube Bomb charity.)

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Is it finsihed? If so, I would suggest writing a blurb and maybe give us an extract so we know what it's like.

Julian G

Established Member
the next famous author is.................. ;) (joke)
Tubechallenger

T

Tom

Just finished it, yes, so here's your blurb:

"Chalfont & Latimer is an intersting place, what hardly anyone knows about it is that it is in fact many towns and a little village put into a solitary area. For instance, there is Little Chalfont, Chalfont St. Giles, etc, and then there is Little Latimer, a very nice 'cosy' village in the area of the Metropolitan Line (it's not even in London, the Metropolitan Line is the only line to go 'outside' Greater London.)."

That's an extract too, Seth has read a page of it, but I warn you, if you know my humour well, you could be laughing forever.

Nick

£3.99 is a bit high, can't I have a free errrm sample.

T

Tom

Indeed, see the first post, there is a link in the news site.

Dave A

My uncle deals with all that stuff in the Red Cross. So I can personally promise you your money will get to the the people its intended for.

Has anyone else donated yet. I've given a tenner :D :P

jd

I'm just buying the book - I don't think I'll be giving other than that. TBH I think there are more needy causes, no offence, or disrespect.

Dave A

jdan said:
I'm just buying the book - I don't think I'll be giving other than that. TBH I think there are more needy causes, no offence, or disrespect.

Probably true, but I would like to help other people in this country as well as others. We seem to forget that there are still problems over here as well. :roll:

jd

Yeah, I appreciate that, but I do think that the UK isn't exactly a poor country, I think that the government can easily afford what's needed to clear up, not like in Indonesia with the Tsunami, for example.

T

Tom

You can order them now!

£3.99 - PDF version (no P&P)
£3.99 - Paper version (not inc. P&P)

P&P costs:

£1.00 - 1st class
£0.90 - 2nd class

David

Established Member
Good luck Tube challenger. I hope you raise a fair amount for the victims and their families.

clagmonster

Established Member
Sorry if I've missed something, but what were you attempting to do the world record for? (my question isn't all that cleat, I mean as in was it number of parperclips on your head)

Ben

clagmonster said:
Sorry if I've missed something, but what were you attempting to do the world record for? (my question isn't all that cleat, I mean as in was it number of parperclips on your head)

i really hope that was a joke!

Nathan

I have read "Railway to the Capital", and i am very impressed with Tubechallenger's book and I recommend his book to all. I would also like to add the point that i helped Tubechallenger with his record attempt, I gave him live updates and the "line travel news". Can't wait for the next attempt Tubechallenger.

clagmonster

Established Member
So what was/is TC attempting to break the world record for. And yes, the paperclips on head was a partial joke, it's because i was having a bad day and couldn't think of how to phrase the question clearly so I gave an example to make it clearer.

jd

Visiting every station on LU in the shortest time.

PS: The book is great! Worth the money, esp when you consider that most of it goes to the charity!

T

Tom

18 hours 35 minutes and 43 seconds (joy54, check?) by Geoff Marshall and Neil Blake.

clagmonster

Established Member
Thats amazing. Did that include getting off at ever station or just passing through?

Dave A

clagmonster said:
Thats amazing. Did that include getting off at ever station or just passing through?

They had to get off, take a picture and write it down to prove it to the world record people.

On Wednesday 5th May 2004, they visited all 275 tube stations in 18 hours, 35 minutes and 43 seconds, for the first time breaking the 19 hour barrier and setting a new record time.

T

Tom

They did NOT have to get off. Just take a picture. (and joy54 will complain about your breaking the 19 hour barrier :mrgreen: (he did of course get 18 hours and 43 minutes before Geoff did))

Dave A

tubechallenger said:
They did NOT have to get off. Just take a picture. (and joy54 will complain about your breaking the 19 hour barrier :mrgreen: (he did of course get 18 hours and 43 minutes before Geoff did))

It said that on their website :?

Status
Not open for further replies.