• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I am a ware that a fair few of us are volenteers on preserved railways across the country. Therefore I have posted this to find out where people work, what as etc.
So, please post who you volenteer for and what you do etc below... :)

I myself am a Station Assistant at Ramsbottom station on the East Lancashire Railway. :)

laverack222 - Moved to preserved railways

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
EKR Infrastructure manager and its associated pway duties
Points operator
Hand signalman
Signalman
Level crossing attendant
Driver
Pilotman
Guard
Buffet staff
Shunter

I work along side people like the operations manager and the motive power manager to plan track maintenance and upgrade work.
I speak to the ops manager on running days on how to distribute spare hands and on non running days to plan major maintenance
The motive power manager speaks to me about problems drivers report, ie rough rides, poor sighting distance etc. I speak to him about what his trains are doing to my track :lol:
Also to make sure things are in the right place for track maintenance, ie track to be worked on doesn't have a train parked ontop of it

Established Member
I am becoming a member of the Suburban Electric Railway association. At coventry.

i also help out at a few miniature railways do they count?

Nick

Signature should help.... ;)
*Am planing on joining MRB*

Jordy

Established Member
Just 'signed up' to the LWR, starting fairly soon. I will be doing whatever they can find for me to do until i'm old enough to work on the trains.

More info soon

Jordy

Coxster

Established Member
I help out down the EKR doing whatever Steve orders me to do (most of it is good ;)) I was also up at Coventry a week ago helping out up there with their demonstration track which is currently being built.

The Snap

Established Member
40445 said:
Fireman and Diesel Secondman on the ELR.

David

He he, are you still on the trains David, if so, are you working on Sunday or the Electric Weekend on the 21st? :D

Tomnick

Established Member
Signalman (you'd be lost without them!) on the North Norfolk and (nearly!) the Great Central - also random other duties on both railways too. And, if all else fails, I'll just mooch around until I find something to do :) .

Guinness

Established Member
GCR but planning to join ELR sooner or later, quite easy for me to get there. :)

Tomnick

Established Member
Doesn't answer the question though! I've got a garden shed at home - doesn't mean I've got signals and points too ;) .

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
I'm on the Midland Railway-Butterley (ex-Midland Railway Centre) and am a cleaner, steward (2005 Santa Specials), soon to be returning to being a trainee TTI and am also a model railway operator for the Alfreton Model Railway Society.

SERA01UK

Chairman of the Suburban Electric Railway Association at the Coventry Railway Centre where I am also Managing Director, Driver, Volunteer liason, training officer, magazine editor, firelighter and just about anything else....

I am also helping out at the Dartmoor Railway as a Driver and traction competence assessor for drivers and guards.

Coxster

Established Member
40445 said:
Signalman? Does the EKR actually have any points....never mind signals? ;)
The box houses a facing point lock, signal lever and levers for two sets of points. The signal lever controls a colour light signal that can send stuff up the spur or into the platform road. There are also a couple of other colour light signals that BR installed when they ran the line, although a semaphore survives at Eythorne. There are about 6 points at Shepherdswell and a few at Eythorne. Eythorne has a ground frame too that controls the sidings.

For an overhead view of the whole line, click here.

EKRTrackShepherdswell.jpg

EKRTrackEythorne.jpg

EKRTrack.jpg

joy54.gen

I used to a couple of years back work down at the Bluebell Railway, I used to help out in Kingscote Ticket Office and would often be down at Sheffield Park cleaning up the locos. I am now going to start down on the EKR when they next have a day open.

Beaker

Established Member
Swanage

Sygnets when i can remerber

And Carnage and Warfare most of time (c&w in other words)

I help my Fat father in signal box wheres he sits there getting phone calls from driving moaning about signals.

I want to help motive power bit when im older.

TheSlash

Established Member
joy54.gen said:
I used to a couple of years back work down at the Bluebell Railway, I used to help out in Kingscote Ticket Office and would often be down at Sheffield Park cleaning up the locos. I am now going to start down on the EKR when they next have a day open.
I'm sure i can find some engine cleaning for you, as the co ordinator of young volunteers 8)
When i am signalman, i also control the local points {hence PO and HSM}, especially as a certain forum member can't be trusted to set the points before exitting the siding. ;)
What ever i do, i've normally got Coxster or Seth following me around learning the job

Tomnick

Established Member
TheSlash said:
I know, you'd think Coxster would of been on his way to make it rather than taking photos of me! Can't get the staff Tom 8)
Two things spring to mind here! Firstly, you've clearly not trained him properly (sod the rule book...that's the first unwritten rule ;) ) - and, more importantly, you mean your signalbox doesn't have a kettle :shock: .

;) :lol:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I will begin some more significant work at the NYMR this year after a taster day in 2005. Looking forward to it loads :D

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
joy54.gen said:
Erm, Steven, I don't think the EKR have an inspection saloon do they? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.