• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Webcams

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bittern

Established Member
Been watching the WCML Cam for the past half hour. Nothing's went by. Is there nothing running on the WCML tonight? There was plenty of freight last night around this time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Okay, something strange passed the WCML cam at approx 01:47, headed by a 66 with headlights on at full beam. The train was lit up entirely, but it wasn't a passenger or regular freight that I know of. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Never mind. Seems it was a Rail Grinder. It looked awesome!

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The Euxton Cam looks like its on the Slow Lines, so expect only the hourly Blackpool N-Liverpools and maybe freight.

Jordy

Established Member
You can see both fast and slow lines from the Euxton cam, the fast lines are the two nearest to the camera.

dave59

Hest Bank has much more traffic - nearly all diesel MU's of course.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You can see both fast and slow lines from the Euxton cam, the fast lines are the two nearest to the camera.

I don't think so. I saw the 1804 Preston-Liverpool Lime St go past on a weekday on the cam, and heard the 1758 Preston-Euston somewhere: I only saw the Liverpool train, they are the only services to use the slows.

Last edited:

Jordy

Established Member
I don't =think so. I saw the 1804 PRE-LIV go past on a weekday on the cam, and heard the 1758 PRE-EUS somewhere: I onkly saw the Liverpool train, they are the only services to use the slows.

You can definately see the fast lines too, see their Photo Page

Daimler

Established Member
Having only recently discovered the WCMLCam, I see they also have a camera on the ECML - however, I've checked back a couple of times in the last week or so, and it doesn't seem to be online at any point - has anyone actually seen it working?

jonesy3001

Established Member
All 3 cams work on wcml cam during the day,all have sound and the ecml cam cam goes off after a certain time due to no traffic.

Last edited:
http://128.173.197.94/railcamjv.htm

Is in Roanoke Virginia, about 200 miles SW of Washington.

It can take a while to come up on some days, and remember we are 6 hours ahead of them, but look out for the trains of 175 bogie coal hoppers with 3 or 4 locos on the front.

There is a freight yard off camera, so you do get l/e movements as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think so. I saw the 1804 Preston-Liverpool Lime St go past on a weekday on the cam, and heard the 1758 Preston-Euston somewhere: I only saw the Liverpool train, they are the only services to use the slows.

No, deffo both fast and slow lines visible.

Have just watched a 156 go north on the slow and almost immediately afterwards a Voyager passed in the same direction nearer the camera.

However, I find myself imagining the scenes there 40 years ago with pairs of 50s on the fast and 24s, 25s, 40s on freight - some still in green.

Turbostar

Roanoke is 5hr behind us atm. I thoroughly recommend it to watch, I like to sit at watch when I can, albeit there's no sound, hopefully the hotel that's in charge of the cam will maybe think about having sound in due course. I have tried emailing them & contacting them on FB, but they seem reluctent to reply for some reason or another.

found another webcam here http://www.livestream.com/greatlakeslive not sure if I was lucky but have seen 3 very very long freights in 15 minutes, I counted 131 wagons on the first freight and got to 126 on the second when the third freight passed by and blocked second from view. If you like webcams check this one out. and there is sound, you hear them coming from their horns / bells

Last edited:
found another webcam here http://www.livestream.com/greatlakeslive not sure if I was lucky but have seen 3 very very long freights in 15 minutes, I counted 131 wagons on the first freight and got to 126 on the second when the third freight passed by and blocked second from view. If you like webcams check this one out. and there is sound, you hear them coming from their horns / bells

Crikey, I see what you mean about the noise, and at night as well. I wouldn't want to be living close to that level crossing - it would be difficult sleeping with that row going on, and I could hear the hooters blaring well into the distance.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Crikey, I see what you mean about the noise, and at night as well. I wouldn't want to be living close to that level crossing - it would be difficult sleeping with that row going on, and I could hear the hooters blaring well into the distance.

Yes, its incredibly loud! I just counted 197...

So here's the Fostoria cam when it's at home:
http://greatlakeslive.com/F-town_CAM_1.html

Just in case, on a map: here it is (I think)

FOSTORIA EXPLANATORY MAP (cam is on "the Rail")

Last edited:

Just to add to my original message, Its 10.45 and I am watching the London Marathon on tv with one eye and the other at my monitor which is monitoring the rail cam site, bearing in mind its only 5.40 am in the US on a Sunday morning I have seen 6 yes 6 very long freights pass the camera in the last 45 minutes, and all of these trains have their horns blasting away how anyone manages to sleep I don't know.