• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway worker suspended after rescuing disabled woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The issue is not what a random person off the street would think to do as their first response.

It is instead how a person working on the railway is expected by their employer to behave in the given situation - directly related to how they have been trained.

This is not unique to the railways - you get the same thing in policing, nursing, etc.

Absolutely.

If a young man still at college understands this concept, I find it baffling that some grown-up struggle with it.

jon91

Oh good grief. It never ends...

On a lighter note I think we need to think of a name for our new forum superhero, my suggestion is Captain 'Common Sense'. :P

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think all sides have had more than enough opportunity to make their point. As such this thread is locked.

If some new information comes to light about the plight of the member of staff in question let one of the staff team know and we'll consider reopening the thread.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The BBC have reported that the worker in question has been reinstated by c2c:

BBC News said:
Southend station wheelchair rail rescue man reprieved

A railway worker suspended after going on to a train track to help a disabled woman who had fallen off the platform edge has been reinstated.

The customer service assistant at Southend Central station in Essex was one of a number of people who went to the elderly woman's aid on 28 August.

The Rail Maritime and Transport union (RMT) said the c2c employee would now return to work.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said it was a "victory for common sense".

The worker had faced a disciplinary hearing after suggestions he had not followed correct health and safety procedures.

The woman suffered a fractured hip in the fall.

Worker a 'hero'
A c2c spokesman said: "A c2c employee has returned to full duties following our investigation into the incident at Southend Central station.

"While the employee helped members of the public to remove the passenger from the track, he accepted his immediate duty was to ensure all trains were stopped.

"This is to protect the safety of all involved, including those who were already on the track aiding the passenger."

Mr Crow added: "Our member is a hero who should never have been facing the sack for saving a disabled woman from a life-threatening situation.

"Our member has thanked the union, his work colleagues and the public for all of their support.

"This incident has shown once again how important station staff are to passenger safety and security."

A warning to all involved. If anyone reignites old arguments on this thread their posts will be deleted. This thread has been re-opened to allow discussion of the current situation not to allow old arguments to continue.

KA4C

There we go then, staff on suspension whilst investigation carried out, staff re-briefed and now back at work, as I said, normal procedure

Flamingo

Established Member
Well, it sounds like a good result, and I bet his garden is immaculate now!

dysonsphere

Just pleased to see some common sence has been applied and the thought of the bad PR has helped I would guess.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Besides what happened, and we don't seem to know these details, was this ever a story?

I mean, something happens > Staff member routinely suspended (presumably on full pay) > Investigation carried out > Staff member 'cleared' and back to work.

AndyLandy

Established Member
There we go then, staff on suspension whilst investigation carried out, staff re-briefed and now back at work, as I said, normal procedure

I think the problem seems to be that much of the general public assume that being suspended is some form of disciplinary measure in itself. The point isn't made to them that this isn't the case at all.

MarkyT

Established Member
I think the problem seems to be that much of the general public assume that being suspended is some form of disciplinary measure in itself. The point isn't made to them that this isn't the case at all.

One can't blame the general public really as that's how the story was being mis-reported fairly widely across the sensationalist media, in some cases as 'yet another example of PC/H&S gone mad' etc, etc . . .

AndyLandy

Established Member
One can't blame the general public really as that's how the story was being mis-reported fairly widely across the sensationalist media, in some cases as 'yet another example of PC/H&S gone mad' etc, etc . . .

True, but perhaps the "C2C spokesperson" could have said something along those lines. Of course, whether the media would report it if they did is another matter, I guess.

Other than someone breaking their hip, luckily the outcome was this time favourable.
On a positive note it has brought to the forefront/ updated safety procedures with TOCs NR, Staff, agency staff, and Police etc, of what is a split second decision, and will no doubt save a life/lives in the future.

Clip

Established Member
Other than someone breaking their hip, luckily the outcome was this time favourable.
On a positive note it has brought to the forefront/ updated safety procedures with TOCs NR, Staff, agency staff, and Police etc, of what is a split second decision, and will no doubt save a life/lives in the future.

I am unsure what you mean here. Are you saying that the rule book will now state that you are fine to jump down onto the track, risk your own life, rather than do the safe thing which is to contact the signaller to get all movement stopped?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Maybe it's this that Clive is referring to:

"While the employee helped members of the public to remove the passenger from the track, he accepted his immediate duty was to ensure all trains were stopped.

"This is to protect the safety of all involved, including those who were already on the track aiding the passenger
."

Clip

Established Member
Ahh ok, but it was the 'updated' part that I didnt understand as it is still the same as it was before this incident.

I am unsure what you mean here. Are you saying that the rule book will now state that you are fine to jump down onto the track, risk your own life, rather than do the safe thing which is to contact the signaller to get all movement stopped?

Sorry, you have got me entirely wrong.
Of course the rule book has to be followed.
It has served as a reminder to those involved on the railway, and probably a lot have double checked their rulebook!
I meant that TOCs/ NR may in light of this incident may fine tune exact procedures, as things are constantly changing.
Eg signalling has changed. (No signalbox in the station) Less staff around
Modern technology etc etc.
Agency staff.
I did not wish to comment on their actions, but I will say that the outcome could have been terribly different.

Stigy

Established Member
Depending on the situation of course, it's always best to follow procedure. However, it's all well and good following procedure, but in certain circumstances there's just not enough time to do so. I have a 'friend' who went down on the track (DC lines) to drag somebody up who was suicidal. Initially he was told by platform staff that the current had been isolated as they were in contact with the signaller (they had radio contact), therefore he remained on the platform as another staff member had already jumped down prior to his arrival. With that in mind, and no immediate evidence of danger, he chose to stay put (Danger or no danger, obviously the less staff on the track the better!)

My friend was then told that the current was not isolated, so with that in mind, and now the immediate danger of electric shock, he jumped down to help remove the person with force if necessary. There was a train berthed in the platform, therefore the line was to all intents and purposes 'blocked' to traffic (The Guard was on the platform and everybody was behind the train, so no immediate risk about that). Anyway, long story short, all concerned were investigated and bollocked accordingly.

The issue here is that had the person dyed or got injured, staff would have been critisised for that too. It's all well and good sitting in an office with your rulebook, orange hi-vi and hard hat, but the management especially need a reality check sometimes. Front line staff are the ones using common sense on a daily basis in situations such as this, and I strongly believe such staff should be recognised, not critisised. It's not as if they were on the track doing an ad-hoc litter pick!

Both staff concerned here are PTS trained, so know the drill regarding the idealistic procedure, but on an equal note, are aware of the dangers invovled and thus were the best people to be in such a situation, surely?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.