• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railways that are now roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
A683 towards Morecambe - used to be the Green Ayre-Morecambe line

Tebay - Newbiggin on Lune A685

Llanberis bypass A4086

short section of the Bala - Trawfyndd A4212 by Llyn Tryweryn

I am sure there are loads more....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
A66 west bound over Stainmore.
Big section of A15 south of Boston.
A1(M) somewhere south of Darlington.
Holt bypass in Norfolk.
Parts of A47 in Norfolk.
One side of Cross Keys Bridge.
The large viaduct (forgotten its name) just outside Bishop Auckland on the line to Durham.

dazzler

The A19 between Riccall and Barlby (North Yorkshire) used to be the ECML. It was closed in 1983 when the Selby diversion opened, the part between Riccall and York (Chaloner's Whin Junction) being part of Sustran's TransPennine Trail from 1989 and having a scale model of the Solar System - The Sun being at the A64 bridge and the rest of the planets being at scale sizes and distances all the way to Riccall.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The rail tunnel underneath Caernarfon was converted into a road tunnel. I beleive portions of the nearby Felinheli bypass also infringes on the old rail alignment.

Branch line

Stratford upon Avon Seven Meadows road runs on the original Stratford upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway route through Old Town Station then continues on Great Western Railway Honeybourne route to the old Evesham Road Crossing.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Cwmllynfell to Cwmtwrch - part of the Swansea St Thomas to Brynamman Midland (Swansea Vale) line.

I challenge any one born the wrong side of the Severn to pronounce that to my satisfaction.

Ken H

On Moderation
Stratford upon Avon Seven Meadows road runs on the original Stratford upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway route through Old Town Station then continues on Great Western Railway Honeybourne route to the old Evesham Road Crossing.
And of course that continues as the Greenway footpath and cycle route to Long Marston.

Pyreneenguy

The Coastal Road at Southport. This was costructed on the trackbed of the former C.L.C route from Aintree to a terminus at Southport Lord Street, between Woodvale and Southport. The road uses the original bridge to span the Liverpool to Southport electrified line, south of Ainsdale station.

pdeaves

Established Member
Part of the Hotwells branch in Bristol.
A very small stretch of the M4 is on the route of the Midland & South Western Junction south of Swindon (though, given the relative formation widths, it's probably best to say the railway is under the route of the motorway!).
North-to-East curve of the Midland Railway avoiding Mangotsfield station is now a main road (other bits in the area are cycle routes).

Ken H

On Moderation
Cwmllynfell to Cwmtwrch - part of the Swansea St Thomas to Brynamman Midland (Swansea Vale) line.

I challenge any one born the wrong side of the Severn to pronounce that to my satisfaction.

Cum&infe& Cumtur% Byninamam
where & is ll as in llandudno and and % as in loch

Born lincolnshire
Welsh is easy to say. Totally phonetic. The declensions are a nightmare.

Ken H

On Moderation
The Coastal Road at Southport. This was costructed on the trackbed of the former C.L.C route from Aintree to a terminus at Southport Lord Street, between Woodvale and Southport. The road uses the original bridge to span the Liverpool to Southport electrified line, south of Ainsdale station.
3rd mention of Southport Lord St today!

Ken H

On Moderation
short section of the A430 in gloucester by Go Outdoors is on the old Eastgate loop

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Cum&infe& Cumtur% Byninamam
where & is ll as in llandudno and and % as in loch

Born lincolnshire
Welsh is easy to say. Totally phonetic. The declensions are a nightmare.

Good enough - report for duty 0600 at Ystradgynlais - report to the SM !

PermitToTravel

Established Member
The line from Colnbrook to Staines is now the M25. Personally I think they should have left it there and just built a AHB

vlad

I am sure there are loads more....

There are. :)

Off the top of my head:
A361 from Barnstaple to South Molton
Swainsley Tunnel in the Staffordshire Moorlands
A483 Welshpool bypass (an interesting one as the line's still there)
A66 at Bowes

Veteran Member
Some of these off Googlemaps, some from memory!
A149/B1145 North Walsham
A414 Maldon
A120 Stansted-Braintree (bits of)
St Ives Busway
Rochester Bridge
A22 East Grinstead
Steyning bypass
A349 Broadstone Way
A1M Merrybent (branch off the S and D west of Darlington).

Aictos

Established Member
Former M & GN from Peterborough towards Norwich, the A47 in the Peterborough area is built on the former trackbed.

trebor79

Established Member
Oh don't forget Par to Fowey, now a private haul road for Imerys, including quite a long tunnel.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Stretches of the old GWR Fairford Branch, mainly in Witney & Eynsham.

Welshman

Established Member
The site of Dolgellau station, closed in 1965, is now under the A470 Dolgellau by-pass.
The Dyserth Branch, closed in 1973, is now a walkway/cycleway.
The old four-tracked railway from Colwyn Bay through Mochdre to Llandudno Junction, was reduced to two tracks and moved further towards the coast to allow for the building of the A55 dual carriageway. Also, I think the same line was moved to the east of Colwyn Bay to allow for the same road to be built over part of the trackbed.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Part of the St. Helens - Widnes line (at the Widnes end) is now a main road from the M62 into Widnes.

Steamysandy

Much of the Musselburgh and Fisherrow branches
The Edinburgh Western Approach road over the Caledonian line into the site of Princes Street Station
Part of the Lothian lines through Portobello
The M90 between Kinross and Bridge of Earn in Places
The A68 between Earlston an d Leaderfoot
That's what I can think of off the top of my head!

randyrippley

Established Member
A3088 running west from Yeovil to join the A303, follows the Yeovil-Taunton line

A685 east from Tebay

A590 west from Haverthwaite (in places)

Status
Not open for further replies.