• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railways To Go Metric

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Only 240 pennies, and a whopping 960 farthings (1/4d) to the pound.

Who remembers guineas £1 & 1 shilling (£1.05) ? Often mentioned in very old films for things like suits.

Oh dear, all the nostalgia has been triggered. 40 tanners = 20 bob = 8 tosheroons = 1 nicker (knicker?) or a quid.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah, yes, guineas. The posh shops priced things in quineas, particularly tailors and dress shops ... and I remember seeing that in the '50s and '60s.

Also gee gee prizes and solicitors.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulLothian

I spent far too many of my primary school years learning how to do calculations that can be easily done now. Although we did learn the 14- and 16-times tables, which I have rarely used since metrication!

Emyr

I spent far too many of my primary school years learning how to do calculations that can be easily done now. Although we did learn the 14- and 16-times tables, which I have rarely used since metrication!

16-times table is useful for conversions between miles and kilometres.

Flamingo

Established Member
Listen guys, if I have to add up anything more than ten, I have to take my shoes off...

Status
Not open for further replies.