• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railworks 3 Trainsimulator 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

davethecat

Hi
Is Trainsimulator 2012 worth the price and is it easy to use?
I am thinking of buying it and would like some feedback please.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
It is well worth the price. and there is an increasing amount of free DLC cropping up online, in addition to the payware from steam and just trains etc. And it is very easy to use and get to grips with, as a measure of how easy it is to use my 5 year old son can drive on expert controls.

I would highly reccomend it. If you do get it then a couple of routes I can reccomend are.

Totham - Payware from Just Trains (created by one of our fellow forum members)

The Port Road - Free from Steam (IIRC)

Cresston - Free from DP Simulation (also by the afore mentioned member)

And also the UK Trainsim Freeware packs which are great and free (but they download quicker if you subscribe to the site for £3).

There is a screenshot thread here that shows how good the graphics are as well.

If you do spend the money I can pretty much garauntee you will not be dissapointed.

davethecat

Thanks for the reply. It does sound relally good. Are the freeware assets easy to install? Are the sites to download them easy to find?
I thought only the payware from the official site was the only compatable software due to the 2012 upgrade of the graphics engine.

Thanks

Darandio

Established Member
And also the UK Trainsim Freeware packs which are great and free (but they download quicker if you subscribe to the site for £3).

They are also available at other alternative sites as well, these are at high speed but don't require a subscription.

Thanks for the reply. It does sound relally good. Are the freeware assets easy to install? Are the sites to download them easy to find?
I thought only the payware from the official site was the only compatable software due to the 2012 upgrade of the graphics engine.

The vast majority of freeware is easy to install. Railworks has a built in Packager/Package Manager and therefore can package up or install files via a .rwp file. Exceptions to the rule are reskins of payware items, where certain files have to be omitted for security. However, these will generally still come in .rwp format and have documentation with full instructions on how to copy the files you require, its normally only one or two files and once you have done it, it becomes second nature.

Sites to download from are very easy to find. I suggest that you register at http://forums.uktrainsim.com/index.php which will then also give you access to the download library as well. Using that as a starting point, browsing the forums will give you a whole host of other places to visit as well.

Any payware items from third parties are fully compatible with Railworks 3, you do not only have to purchase from RSC, the "official site".

davethecat

many thanks. I think that has just swung it in favour.
Can't wait to get it now.

Cheers

Mintona

Established Member
I was considering buying this as well. Might go and do so now, thanks for the replies. I get very confused with all the BVE downloads, so of this is easier it will be much better for me! However I do like the BVE realism, I'm guessing this is just as good?

davethecat

Hi
I was just wondering if you download one of the high payware quality routes or loco packs from the steam site, can you back them up easily in case you want to keep a copy of it on disk?

Thanks

Darandio

Established Member
You can back the files up by copying them yes, but they will still only work on your Steam account. However, there is really no need to do this, the whole point of Steam is that once purchased, the addons are linked to your account. Should you buy a new computer or reinstall Windows etc, it will simply redownload it all for you.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I reinstalled Windows last weekend and Steam happily reinstalled all of the payware I had. It took ten hours though!

davethecat

Thanks for that. I have just purchased the de luxe version on disk, from a major retailer on line for £14.99!!! which I thought was pretty good. I can add on to my hearts content now!!

Cheers

jon91

The deluxe version is just a license key on a disk, you'll still need to have a Steam account to download the game itself.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Well I simply have to get that (I only ever drove West Norwood to Brighton on that line when I was a trainee, be nice to have the Thamelink route with 319s one day) shame it's that new stuff (377s and....erm...377s and....well you get the point).

Presumably I'll be able to get it direct from Steam?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Good, I didn't know it was RSC, not all the developers use steam I think, anyway, be getting that later today.

jon91

You'd be right in thinking that. Just Trains and Digital Traction are examples of providers that use their own systems for content distribution, although DT used to use Steam I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.