• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rambling Roebuck... (Trip Reports)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Next move was up to Crewe, and a nice winner in 390104 was provided. Whilst waiting here, I watched "Tornado" depart noisily Milton-Keynesward on a Beardex. Then pendo luck struck again, with 390124 appearing for a trip back to Manchester.

Trams 3002 (to Victoria) and 3081 onwards then returned me home, at the end of a very long day where the trains were more successful than the quiz... :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a productive day, shame on the quiz not going well

But you are the mastermind of the trip reporting section ;)

mastermind.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
Very productive time on the rails, few winners and Polesworth in the bag. Must admit the beardex made me chuckle out loud on the bus.

Given what seemed some notorious company at the quiz, 19th seems quite good company. I'd have finished about 30th at best.

As usual an entertaining read Roebuck.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Coasting and Peaking Day 1 (25/9/17)

The day started with 37423, unfortunately the First Manchester version, which trundled me down to the metropolis. Rover ticket bought, I adjourned to platform 14, whence the decidedly mixed pair of 158822 + 150229 conveyed me to Chester. Here, the units were split, with the 158 heading off to Holyhead, whilst I remained with the veteran sprinter to my fitst shack score at Flint.

Running 10 minutes behind was Virgin's Holyhead service, and a winning 221108 appeared for the short hop to Rhyl. Further red then appeared, with winner 158818 taking me all the way through to Rhosneigr.

There wasn't much here, apart from a view of jets taking off from RAF Valley, so I was quite pleased when 158818 reappeared for the short hop to the equally remote but somehow less windswept Ty Croes.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
(25/9/17 cont.)
Next dud up was 158830, which took me back west to Valley where I had a walk to the local spar and sourced a meal deal, and very nice too. Then the same unit appeared again for what was originally going to be a ned leap to Bodorgan, but due to slightly late running I eschewed the +3 and went through to Llanfairfechan. A late running 158833 then rescued me from the platform by the concrete motorway retaining wall, and deposited me at Bangor, which was perhaps surprisingly unvisited previously, and has a nice cafe/shop.

A change of class now, with 175003 appearing to take me to a +2 at required shack Prestatyn, but annoyingly didn't make due to the flabby hippo thing losing time after Rhyl (and, doubly annoyingly, the 158 going t'other way was required). So I stayed on to Flint, then doubled back to Abergele and Pensarn on 150229. Havng a 58 minute fester here, I walked beachwards and found a caff to sit outside with coffee, toasted teacake and the Daily Telegraph crozsword.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice part of the world. I don't think I've ever got off a train at (Welsh) Bangor, but I liked the look of the station. Does it still have semaphores? Not been on a 175 either, in fact it seems like I haven't lived...

Kite159

Veteran Member
*starts to make notes to add what Richard sent me last week*

I gather that Llanfairfechan is quite noisy being near to the A55?

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
*starts to make notes to add what Richard sent me last week*

I gather that Llanfairfechan is quite noisy being near to the A55?

There are certainly quieter stations than Llanfairfechan, although the bleating of sheep at Roman Bridge runs them close... ;)

Anyway, back to the report.

150229 eventually returned from Llandudno, and took me through to Chester. Here, I diverted Northward, striking lucky with winner 508103 up to Capenhurst. Nipping over the footbridge, 507010 returned me to Bache, where some sort of farce was brewing, with a cancelled train. 507010 eventually returned, and took me back North.

With delays and cancellations, I was keeping my eye on the passing PIS, noticing that a service from Ellesmere Port was 10 minutes behind. So I baled at the cavernous Green Lane for a final shack score for the night, then went forward on 508124, diving off at James St for the following ex-New Brighton service in the hope of a cheeky winner, which 508104 wasn't.

Upstairs at Lime Street, no winning 319s in sight so I joined 185114 for a fast run to Manchester, then the bus home. Not a bad first day...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
A very productive day in North Wales, that's for sure. Nice work on getting Polesworth in too!

Thanks Techni. It was quite fun. Now for yesterday...

Coast n Peakz day 2. 28/9/17

The train down to Manchester for a change, with an utterly revolting pairing of 142047 + 150225 running me down to Victoria. Tram 3042 then took me across town for the " pauper's WAG" 09:50 to Holyhead. I wasn't expecting much from this (was substituted by a 175 on Monday), so was pleasantly surprised when a skip rumbled into Platform 14 at Piccadilly. And well chuffed when said skip was winning 67016, which was duly raked in for a run to Chester, spoilt slightly by a couple of cranks gibbering nasally about Class 37s in Cumbria all the way.

At Chester, I changed to a Virgin service, which was formed of double winners 221143 + 221112. This was taken to Rhyl, then I dropped back to the following service, which was dud 158828, taken to Llandudno Jc. Where I went for a walk - through the town, past the induztrial estates and car dealers, under the A55 and then along the (pavemented, fortunately) A470 to Glan Conwy, which is an excellent station for birdwatching on the Conway estuary, but has nothing much nearby.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good news that the road to Glam Conwy has a pavement as I'm hoping to walk there next week (staying overnight at the Premier Inn nearby so it looks like it makes hardly any difference in terms of distance)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Good news that the road to Glam Conwy has a pavement as I'm hoping to walk there next week (staying overnight at the Premier Inn nearby so it looks like it makes hardly any difference in terms of distance)
The pavement runs out further south (just got the bus from Tal-y-Cafn to Dolgarrog, the bus stop at the former is 100 yards down the road, which seems to be staging the white-van-man Grand Prix today!)

Currently 15 mins from Dolwyddelen, and clearing the line. This leaves only Bodorgan and Penmaenmawr to clear The Land West of Flint and East of The Sea - a task for Sunday evening...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
We left the report with me sitting at Glan Conwy, watching the heroms and Curlews. Eventually, dud 150264 appeared, trundling me up the valleys (Conwy, then Lledr) to Pont-y-Pant. There was nothing much here bar a pleasant and quiet bit of countryside, so I dozed away the 50 or so minutes until the 150 returned and took me to North Llanwrst, the passing loop on the line. From here I walked into town, eventually finding an open pub (rare on North-Walian afternoons) and accompanying lager.

I then wandered down to Llanwrst, which would be called *Llanwrst East" if it was in London. Probably the busiest intermediate station on this line, the same 150 took me to possibly the quietest, at Roman Bridge, where Moel Siabod loomed threateningly and sheep bleated in flocks. Fortunately, half an hour's vespesta saw the 150 reappear to take me back to the jumction.

I was tempted to head homewards, but resisted, with dud fat Hippo 175109 instead trundling we through the twilight to LlanfairPG. A three mimute fester here was long enough to read the full name of the station, then dud 158829 appeared to take me back to Conwy. From here I had a nice walk over the bridge, then a less nice walk by the main road back to Llandudno Junction.

Here, I had a nice bonus in a voyager which was firstly late running (enabling me to take it to a bonus shack score at Prestatyn) and secondly required 221117. My jamminess continued with my chariot back to Manchester also being a winner in the form of 158834.

And a smooth ride home followed, with tram 3072 to Piccadilly Gardens, 3039 from Market St down the hill and 158757 home.

Now to do it again tomorrow...

Last edited:

Established Member
Sounds like a very productive time there, plenty red pen being utilised, especially with 67016.

You shack scratchers, really show a labour of love to it, whilst I doff my cap to you all, a 50minute fester in the middle of nowhere for the same unit back, would get a major, sod that for a game of soldiers, from me. Suppose we all have different boxes to tick.

As usual, an entertaining read Roebuck.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
29/9/17 - Coast n Peakz Day 3

The day started with the third different method of travelling from Rochdale to Manchester, with tram 3117 taking me the long way, via Shaw, Oldham and Ulan Bator. On arriving at Victoria I exited the station for a quick smoke and on returning noticed I was just in time for a late-running Tippex service, with 185107 departing 10 late and recovering five of them with a spirited run to Lime Street.

Downstairs here, and my usual luck, with winner507004 appearing out of the tunnel on a Chester service, which I took through to winning shack Rock Ferry. Alighting here, I spotted another winner heading inwards, and planned my moves accordingly. The next Chester was 10 late, and booked to run non stop from Rock Ferry to make up time, so I joined dud 508139 as far as required Bebington on the Ellesmere Port service, then winner 508140 onwards to Chester.

No winning Virgins today, so 175113 took me along the coast to Llandudno Junction, where unsurprisingly 150264 was still on Conwy Valley duty. I boarded, heading off to what sounded like a female american student...

"Betsy the Co-ed" turned out to be Betws-y-Coed, with tourist cafes and shops selling expensive tat. So I had a mooch round the railway museum, declined a trip on the miniature railway (too fat/bad back) and scored a coffee and toasted teacack from the Mark 1 cafe.

Back on the train, I headed for Tal-y-Cafn. Again, a remote shack, but it boasts a nice old bridge over the Conwy, whilst 25 yards from the station is a very posh, and immaculate gastro-pub. This was open, although deserted by other customers, and the pleasant bar man gave me directions to the bus stop (as well as taking some money for a half of Thatcher's Gold cider).

The walk to the bus-stop was the least pleasant of my trip, this section of the A470 being unpavemented and with fast-moving traffic. However, I found the bus stop, as did the X19 bus. The bus timetable must contain some padding, as it arrived 9 minutes late, but by virtue of taking six instead of the booked 15 minutes, deposited me on time at Dolgarrog.

This is a desolate place, with nothing to look at bar a row of bushes. Fortunately, the trusty 150264 appeared to take me away. The conductor recognised me from the previous day, when he'd let me off at Pont-y-Pant, and (sussing out my shack-scratching motives) was slightly disappointed that my last shack on the line wasn't Roman Bridge. But he was happy enough to turf me out at Dolwyddelen instead.

This is a pleasant place, with a village pub and spar shop, where the young lady serving was most amused at my tale of travelling to her shop purely to by a Euromillions lottery ticket a ling way from my home in order to preserve my anonymity when I won. (If you're reading this, cariad, I didn't!)

Returning to the station, and the faithful 150, I then headed for Llandudno and a weekend's quizzing...

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Coast n Peakz 4 (The Day of the Hippo). (1/10/2017)

We left this tale on Friday evening, with my arrival in Llandudno. We now fast forward to Sunday, 2pm, when quizzing finished. With no trains from Llandudno Town on a Sunday, I scrounged a lift to the junction, then had a beer and a roast beef dinner in the Station Hotel.

Then for the trains. 175105 was first up, taking me to Penmaenmawr, where a handy +5 on to 175114 was available. I took this through to Rhyl to reduce the fester time, then 175001 took me through to my final shack "West of Shotton and East of the Sea" at Bodorgan. A +25 here gave ample time to use the barrow crossing, then 175108 appeared to take me as far as Chester, with 175104 then giving me a fast, diverted, nonstop run to Manchester Piccadilly via Northwich.

Trams 3057/3066/3099 then took me home, at the end of a good, succesful, week.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The pavement runs out further south (just got the bus from Tal-y-Cafn to Dolgarrog, the bus stop at the former is 100 yards down the road, which seems to be staging the white-van-man Grand Prix today!)

Currently 15 mins from Dolwyddelen, and clearing the line. This leaves only Bodorgan and Penmaenmawr to clear The Land West of Flint and East of The Sea - a task for Sunday evening...

That bus stop at Tal-y-Cafn certainly wasn't that well signposted. More hail & ride keeping eyes peeled for that bus coming around the corner.

Sounded like a good last day, congrats on clearing North Wales

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
That bus stop at Tal-y-Cafn certainly wasn't that well signposted. More hail & ride keeping eyes peeled for that bus coming around the corner.

Sounded like a good last day, congrats on clearing North Wales
Indeed, not the best bus stop. And thanks for the congrats.

Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
If everything goes to plan I will be heading to the hotel at Llandudno Junction with 4 stations left. Sadly the Conwy Valley line hasn't got a Sunday service this time of year so my remaining ones will be done on Monday.

Can't decide between the first train (05:3X) or the 2nd train, doing the first gives me more time to intercept the 67 hopefully

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a bit of an effort to clear shacks in North Wales, and Ludo having no trains on a Sunday seems insane!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
15/12/2017. Scoring three ways...:)

Since a new bit of track opened earlier this week in my local vicinity, it would have been churlish not to go out and sample it. I decided that a winning shack and a flourish of le plume rouge would also be in order on this pre-Christmas jolly.

First up was unhealthy-sounding tram 3108 up Drake Street to Rochdale station. It was only appropriate to clear the new track from here, so 158859 obliged on the 1025 to Manchester Oxford Rd, via the newly opened Castlefield Curve. 319371 then took me on to Piccadilly, where I considered my options.

This didn't take long, as required pendo 390112 was about to depart, so I jumped on for a winning run to Stockport. And now for a shack, to complete the trio. A train 10 minutes behind was eminently suitable, with 150142+150204 taking me through to Hazel Grove. 13 minutes of suburban boredom later, 150135+150270 appeared to return me to Stockport.

The winner dice didn't roll here, with a rather wedged 220026 taking me back to Piccadilly, where the time of arrival tempted me into attempting the +2 at Fairfield. 142046+142058 duly deposited me at this annoying winning shack, but were late enough that I missed the return, so baled out on the 219 bus up to Ashton.

The rest of the day so far is simply told. 155460 up to Stalybridge, for a pint of Lilleys Mango Cider, then the same unit back into. Victoria, trams 3006+3016 up to Shude Hill for the bus up to Castleton (which I'm on at the moment!)

Tomorrow sees a trip to Ponte Carlo for some quizzing, hopefully I'll get up in time to scoop a couple of required WYPTE shacks enroute, but we'll see...:)

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
15/12/2017. Scoring three ways...:)

Since a new bit of track opened earlier this week in my local vicinity, it would have been churlish not to go out and sample it. I decided that a winning shack and a flourish of le plume rouge would also be in order on this pre-Christmas jolly.

First up was unhealthy-sounding tram 3108 up Drake Street to Rochdale station. It was only appropriate to clear the new track from here, so 158859 obliged on the 1025 to Manchester Oxford Rd, via the newly opened Castlefield Curve. 319371 then took me on to Piccadilly, where I considered my options.

This didn't take long, as required pendo 390112 was about to depart, so I jumped on for a winning run to Stockport. And now for a shack, to complete the trio. A train 10 minutes behind was eminently suitable, with 150142+150204 taking me through to Hazel Grove. 13 minutes of suburban boredom later, 150135+150270 appeared to return me to Stockport.

The winner dice didn't roll here, with a rather wedged 220026 taking me back to Piccadilly, where the time of arrival tempted me into attempting the +2 at Fairfield. 142046+142058 duly deposited me at this annoying winning shack, but were late enough that I missed the return, so baled out on the 219 bus up to Ashton.

The rest of the day so far is simply told. 155460 up to Stalybridge, for a pint of Lilleys Mango Cider, then the same unit back into. Victoria, trams 3006+3016 up to Shude Hill for the bus up to Castleton (which I'm on at the moment!)

Tomorrow sees a trip to Ponte Carlo for some quizzing, hopefully I'll get up in time to scoop a couple of required WYPTE shacks enroute, but we'll see...:)

Nice report mate, I might go for the curve tomorrow and then get a south Pennines rover and maybe nip over to Donny for a few hours, always a bit stuck for somewhere to go this time of the year.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
What did you think of the mango cider? I love that stuff and could do an all-night session on it happily!
It's very nice; comes second in awesomeness behind the Rhubarb Cider...:)

Incidentally, been spending some time trying to update mileage records. Amusingly, it appears four 150s are on 99.something miles!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Challenging Manchester, 6/1/18.

A first for me, this challenge business. It was something suitably local and subtly different, so I decided to have a go, and possibly start the new year with a couple of shack scoops.

Tram 3106 was my first vehicle of 2018, and I finalised my plans whilst trundling in to Manchester. I met the other challengers at Victoria, then set off. First move was 319379 out to Newton le Willows, scoring 2 in the challenge, then 175009 all the way through to Manchester Airport (4), where the -3 in the public timetable was less accurate (as, to be fair, it should be) than the +2 in the Working timetable onto the local back to Piccadilly (4 points, courtesy of 323226).

I paused here to pick up a meal deal and paper, then got another 12 points by spending the next hour on 142042, going to Romily and back the other way. Alas, an infestation of footy fans heading for the Etihad caused enough delay for me to miss my planned CLC move. OK, plan B, this being a trip to Stockport on the stopper (150119) (3), then anything back to connect with my planned move an hour later. All was going well, and I was waiting at Stockport, but then the signals broke. Nowt moved for 10 minutes, so that meant I missed the CLC move again.

Ne'er mind, this opened up the prospect of shack-scratchery of the all-time variety. A delay of 10 minutes to the Stoke local (320230) reduced the bus fester at Bramhall, so I duly raked this in, then hopped outside for the 378 bus, the latter taking 7 minutes to get me to the similarly-required Davenport. 150119 reappeared, took me back to Stockport where I baled for the next express. Which was Cross-country and on time, according to the PIS, but failed to appear.

There was, however, a good substitute on the following Tippex service, with winner 185105 putting in a random appearance, but then getting stuck behind the 150 on the slow lines, making me miss the Oxford Road service, and heading for the trams in desperation. Sadly, 3091 failed to make it to Deansgate in time for the CLC local, so for the third time Urmston, Glazebrook, etc were denied my presence.

It was now 16:20, and cold, so I abandoned the challenge and headed to Spoons for a coffee (via 3106 again). I wandered out at 17:00 to say Hi to the competition, then headed back for some grub. And here I sit, awaiting a tram back to Rochdale and an evening's work - after what turned out to be rather a good day. Now, where's the Red Pen MMXVIII thread...:)