• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ramifications of 1st train delay on 2 stage journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to go from Royston to Leeds next week. In order to keep costs down, I'm looking to buy 2 singles for specific trains rather than one of the flexi return tickets. The first leg is from Royston to Stevenage with Thameslink and the next leg is from Stevenage to Leeds with London North Eastern Railway. The pair of return tickets is priced at £73.90 as opposed to the flexi Off-Peak Return at £156.80 (but with the benefit of being able to use multiple trains as opposed to the exact times that I book with the two singles.

My question is - if either going up to Leeds or coming back from Leeds, the first stage train runs late and I miss my 2nd stage train, would my ticket be valid on the next available train, even though they are different operators or would I be out of luck and have to buy a new ticket ?

Thanks in advance for any information !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Hi,

You are entitled (as per the National Rail Conditions of Travel) to use a combination of tickets to complete a single journey. If you miss one of your booked trains as a result of delays earlier in your journey then you would be entitled to travel on the next available service operated by the train company you were booked to travel with, so the next LNER service if you were delayed on the leg to Stevenage.

I know some people would seek permission from LNER staff at Stevenage before getting on the next train, personally I would just get on, as you are entitled to do so.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I think it’s simpler than Intermodal is suggesting. We get some pretty complex ticket enquiries here.

To clarify, you’re getting an advance single RYS-LDS and an advance single LDS-RYS? Not splitting each leg?

Then as long as you take the RYS-SVG train suggested on your itinerary OR a reasonable earlier one (which you are entitled to do if you wish, and wait longer) then you can take the next available train or valid combination of trains between SVG and LDS. Just mention the delay to the LNER guard and if you have a screenshot of your RYS-SVG delay on the national rail app then all the better, but not to worry if not.

Coming back, your connection from Stevenage is not a mandatory one, you must take a train to Royston but it doesn’t have to be the one mentioned in your itinerary.

I hope this helps.

RYS = Royston
SVG = Stevenage
LDS = Leeds

Thanks @Intermodal - that's really good to know. I assumed (as with most things in this country !) that it would be deemed to be all my fault and that I'd have to buy another ticket.

This is why I love this forum so much - really knowledgeable people who genuinely want to help !

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I know some people would seek permission from LNER staff at Stevenage before getting on the next train, personally I would just get on, as you are entitled to do so.

The only LNER staff at Stevenage are in their small ticket office. This closes quite early and is not open at all on Sundays. I agree that it's probably best to get on an d explain to the guard if there is a delay.

Thanks @Royston Vasey

Re: what I am trying to buy - I am going through thetrainline.com and stating RYS as starting and LDS as ending stations and it is showing me the possibility of:

06.16 (RYS) - 08.51 (LDS). That breaks down into 06.16 (RYS) - 06.39 (SVG) and then 06.55 (SVG) - 08.51 (LDS)

I presume that means that it is one advance single (and another for the return, obviously) and that I am not splitting each leg ?

Thanks, again, for your help.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Thanks @Royston Vasey

Re: what I am trying to buy - I am going through thetrainline.com and stating RYS as starting and LDS as ending stations and it is showing me the possibility of:

06.16 (RYS) - 08.51 (LDS). That breaks down into 06.16 (RYS) - 06.39 (SVG) and then 06.55 (SVG) - 08.51 (LDS)

I presume that means that it is one advance single (and another for the return, obviously) and that I am not splitting each leg ?

Thanks, again, for your help.
No no splitting.

Yes there’s no problem with this. If you would be more comfortable with more time you can take the trains before the 06.16 (05.38, 05.46) without an issue but there’s little chance of anything going wrong between Royston and Stevenage especially at that time.

That’s plenty of time at Stevenage, the P1 to P3 change is doable in 1 minute, so no worries there.

You can buy the same tickets from Thameslink, LNER or anyone else without a booking fee, ie cheaper! That would be my only other advice!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Stevenage station is surprisingly busy at 06:30 on a weekday morning, especially the platform 1 and 2 island. I think the 06:16 from RYS is an 8 car class 700. Your best being towards the middle of the train (5th carriage is probably best) for the stairs at Stevenage.

As @Royston Vasey has already said never use trainline to book tickets as they're never cheaper despite their marketing hype. The same tickets are available at any train company website. You don't need to use LNER although if you do you can make use of their seat selector to choose your seat on the train between SVG and LDS.

Apologies for delay in replying - tough day yesterday !

@Royston Vasey @Hadders Thanks for your help - very much appreciated ! Will avoid Trainline and book direct from now onwards. Happy to know that I can relax if any train gets delayed and I won't have to buy a new ticket.

I have to say - I love this forum - such great people on here who are so willing to help.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You're not "splitting" if you buy Advance singles for each of your outward and return journeys.

Using a combination of two or more tickets, colloquially known as "splitting" is perfectly valid, but if you are doing the "splitting" yourself then you need to be careful to ensure you adhere to minimum interchange times. If you use an accredited ticket "splitting" site (e.g. Loco2, Trainsplit etc) this is taken care of automatically, and you get the added bonus of a through itinerary for your whole journey and one reference number and potentially support from the retailer if you need it.

Whether or not you "split" makes no difference to the contractual position: that you are entitled to be conveyed all the way from your origin to destination, and that if delays occur you are valid on appropriate alternative trains and if you arrive late into your destination by a qualifying length of time, you are also entitled to Delay Repay compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.