• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random person pur my adress when he received penalty fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enko

Good evening

I received today a letter to Mr X to my adress (my brother opened) which states that Mr X was issued a penalty fare of £80 for not producing a ticket by traveling from stratford to canning town

What shall I do? Do i have to contact IRCAS or just leave it as it is, since i doesnt affect me name-wise

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The correct procedure is to write "NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS - RETURN TO SENDER" and put it in the post.
As your brother has opened it I suggest writing "OPENED IN ERROR - NOT KNOWN" etc on the original envelope (or letter), put in in a fresh envelope, address it appropriately, and pay the postage.

Your brother needs to know for the future that it is illegal to open someone else's mail without reasonable excuse. Hence my suggested wording.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes, this is why post not addressed to you is always best 'Rtd to sender' and dropped in a Royal mail pillar box (no stamp needed) rather than left ignored by your door / thrown in bin etc etc

island

Veteran Member
Your brother needs to know for the future that it is illegal to open someone else's mail without reasonable excuse. Hence my suggested wording.
Commonly quoted, but incorrect. Under section 84 of the Postal Services Act, this is an offence only if you are “intending to act to a person’s detriment”.

gray1404

Established Member
The best thing to do is to, on the envelope, cross through the name and address it has been delivered to (to stop it being delivered again) and write "Not Known At This Address - Return to Sender" and put it in a post box, hand it to a post man, Post Office or Royal Mail delivery office. Whichever is easier.

If opened in error then put the letter back into the original envelope and seal it back up with sticky tape and do the above. However put: "Opened in Error. Not Known At This Address - Return to Sender"

Status
Not open for further replies.