• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sure some of us have things we'd like to share but don't really want to start a whole thread on the subject. They might be experiences, or things we've seen or perhaps things we've learnt.
For instance last week I learnt that if I stand on the drivers side step of my van with muddy boots on, then reach over to put two bags of heavy shopping on the passenger seat, I will then slip, drop the shopping in the footwell, chin the armrest and slide out feet first onto the road while being laughed at by a group of teenage girls on the pavement opposite.
Has anyone else had anything happen or seen anything interesting that they'd like to post?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
It's interesting to read that a thread has been started in my name :D

Oh ouch! I take it only your pride was dented.

EM2

Established Member
If you walked 500 miles and then 500 more where would you end up?

Proclaimers_500miles_map.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.png

D365

Veteran Member
Come now, young sir, let us have none of this false modesty. Were you not awarded the Knights Cross of the "Iron Road", with oak leaves and cluster for your posting services on a certain very long running thread on this very website...:D

I honestly can't say that I know which thread it is you are talking about :oops:

Today I learned that D365 is not a Class 40.

If I was, would that not have meant that I was scrapped in the 80s?

Today I learned: always check that there isn't a vegan protest standing opposite you before buying a burger or hot dog :oops:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Had a chainsaw for seven years, It's getting worn out but worked ok, got given an identical chainsaw by a friend that never really started properly and would die through what sounded like fuel starvation, at this point things were looking good.
Swapped some bits around to make one good one out of the two (most of the good one being used with a few bits from the old one), it worked for precisely one week and then also stopped working so I put the old bits back on to the old machine but now that won't work either. After quite a few hours of tinkering I have got to a point further away (maybe even 500 miles and then 500 more) than I was when I started.
I'm not asking for advice, I just had to tell someone.
I'm now going to drink all the alcohol in the house.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I honestly can't say that I know which thread it is you are talking about :oops:

If I was, would that not have meant that I was scrapped in the 80s?

Today I learned: always check that there isn't a vegan protest standing opposite you before buying a burger or hot dog :oops:

Pretty uncomfortable situation that, did you make a donation?

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member

I wonder if Paul may have been referring to a still current thread concerning the demise of the class 373 sets and a certain (knowledgeable?) forum member who resides in the Royal County of Berkshire?;)

DaleCooper

Established Member
Had a chainsaw for seven years, It's getting worn out but worked ok, got given an identical chainsaw by a friend that never really started properly and would die through what sounded like fuel starvation, at this point things were looking good.
Swapped some bits around to make one good one out of the two (most of the good one being used with a few bits from the old one), it worked for precisely one week and then also stopped working so I put the old bits back on to the old machine but now that won't work either. After quite a few hours of tinkering I have got to a point further away (maybe even 500 miles and then 500 more) than I was when I started.
I'm not asking for advice, I just had to tell someone.
I'm now going to drink all the alcohol in the house.

That's God's way of telling you it's time to stop dismembering the bodies of your victims.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lighters are like pens. You lose all the good ones and are just left with the poxy ones that don't work properly.

12CSVT

Established Member
Does the flap of a butterfly wing on Brazil set of a chain reaction of events that lead to you walking 500 miles, your chainsaw packing up, or you losing your best lighters ? :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does the flap of a butterfly wing on Brazil set of a chain reaction of events that lead to you walking 500 miles, your chainsaw packing up, or you losing your best lighters ? :lol:

I hadn't thought of it like that, stupid butterflies, staying over there, flapping about and messing up everyone's stuff.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Just the type of thought that usually comes to me in the very early hour of 0445 is that if I were to set out in westerly direction from home in Cheshire East for 500 miles, I would need the ability to walk across the Irish Sea then after crossing the land mass of Ireland then to continue walking on the waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Does anyone know the depth of water underneath me at the end of this 500 mile journey?

DaleCooper

Established Member

In a deterministic but chaotic system it is not possible to predict the effect of the butterfly without knowing the initial conditions with infinite precision. One possible result could be that someone carrying a broken chainsaw walks to Norway taking your Zippo with them.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Whenever I pick up a screwdriver or similar tool (not a chisel) I always have the urge to toss it in the air so it does a somersault before I (hopefully) catch it. Is it just me or does anyone else do that?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Whenever I pick up a screwdriver or similar tool (not a chisel) I always have the urge to toss it in the air so it does a somersault before I (hopefully) catch it. Is it just me or does anyone else do that?

Yes. You have to do that. Also, if I pick up a ratchet with a socket on it I like to hold the socket and spin the ratchet around like one of those old football rattles.

I bought some new screwdriver bits the other day and today I bought a big box of all different sized screws in their own compartments, now I'm just looking around for things to er, screw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.