• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll be surprised if they are allowed to work past midnight.

It's happened before overnight about three years ago, it was the drains under the pavements that time.
The trouble is that the road is very busy during rush hour so it's the only time they dare shut it. They worked all night last night further up the road, all the trucks were parked next to us (luckily with their engines switched off) until 3am when they moved up the road. I'd had a couple of beers though so I didn't hear a thing. No beer tonight though, I must be good, plus we seem to be somewhat trapped at the moment...

This was last nights scene at ten pm.

Attachments

• IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was disappointed to see that they hadn't finished the road this morning (they were still at it at 5am according to the kids), they're doing the top layer tonight. We're going for a walk to the pub now which seems like a good idea.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I was disappointed to see that they hadn't finished the road this morning (they were still at it at 5am according to the kids), they're doing the top layer tonight. We're going for a walk to the pub now which seems like a good idea.

Don't forget to leave a trail of breadcrumbs so you can find your way home.

najaB

Veteran Member
Don't forget to leave a trail of breadcrumbs so you can find your way home.
If he leaves them in the road and they get asphalted over, will they grow to to be traffic calming speed cushions*?

* The road feature formerly known as sleeping policemen.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just had to pick the dog up and carry him over the road lest he became stuck to the new surface.
They've got road rollers. I'd like a road roller.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This leaf fell on the shiny new tarmac and the road roller just missed it.
I felt pleased for the leaf...

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 20

tsr

Established Member
I just had to pick the dog up and carry him over the road lest he became stuck to the new surface.
They've got road rollers. I'd like a road roller.

You wouldn't like one if your dog was stuck to the road and you'd forgotten whether you left the handbrake on...

(Assuming the gradient of the road makes this plausible, and that rollers are braked with handbrakes.)

(Do road rollers have handbrakes?)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You wouldn't like one if your dog was stuck to the road and you'd forgotten whether you left the handbrake on...

(Assuming the gradient of the road makes this plausible, and that rollers are braked with handbrakes.)

(Do road rollers have handbrakes?)

Hm. I think they must have handbrakes or there'd be loads of flattened cartoon characters everywhere.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
"Why do birds suddenly appear?"

Seagulls normally give warnings when they're about to swoop on you. There was no warning tonight. All I heard was a sudden "whoosh" and this winged creature did a fly-past mere inches above my head. Are there no rules of engagement any more?

DaleCooper

Established Member

Seagulls normally give warnings when they're about to swoop on you. There was no warning tonight. All I heard was a sudden "whoosh" and this winged creature did a fly-past mere inches above my head. Are there no rules of engagement any more?

Two possibilities:

1. It didn't know you were there. Were you in stealth mode at the time?

2. Was it wearing dark glasses and carrying a white stick?

Domh245

Established Member

The seagulls that stole my Dad's lunch today also gave no warning. It was there one moment and by the time he'd walked inside to fetch his cup of tea, the plate had been ransacked by 3 or 4 gulls!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Two possibilities:

1. It didn't know you were there. Were you in stealth mode at the time?

2. Was it wearing dark glasses and carrying a white stick?

I certainly wasn't in stealth mode when I tripped on the steps on the way into the house!

The seagulls that stole my Dad's lunch today also gave no warning. It was there one moment and by the time he'd walked inside to fetch his cup of tea, the plate had been ransacked by 3 or 4 gulls!

I wouldn't give a warning if I was going to steal someone's lunch, either :)

krus_aragon

Established Member

They might give no explicit "warning", but from frequent visits to Conwy, Llandudno, etc I can readily identify when a seagull is "eyeing-up" a tourist's food. They tend to perch somewhere and stare for a while, judging "is there food", "can I get it", and "when should I make my move".

Seagulls know they're more likely to get your food off you if they attack you from over your shoulder, so again you think they've come at you without warning. Just getting you to drop your ice cream or chips is enough: most people abandon their food if it lands on the floor, and then the seagull just needs to eat it before any other gulls arrive.

Number one tip when eating chips at the seaside: sit with your back to a wall/tree, so you can't be attacked from behind.

(Eurgh, this is far too sensible a post for this thread. But it's typed now...)

PeterY

Established Member
I'm sure seagulls talk to each other. "Chips lads at 11 o Clock" before attacking.

Trying to eat a Cornish pasty in St Ives was hard work. I was being watched.:(

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No Sea bird based pun/double entendre chain is complete without reference to Boobies

edit to add: link is safe for work

I might wait until I'm in private just in case.

It's all tits with you lot isn't it.

Attachments

• IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 9

TheEdge

Established Member
I can't think of any at the moment, I'm too busy watching "The Importance of Being Erne Nest".

Even by your standards thats painful.

timthumb.php

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I know what I'm going to have for Sunday dinner now - haven't had roast chicken in a while. Thanks for the inspiration!

Status
Not open for further replies.