• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rant (Short): Isn't the DWP Wonderful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
Senior Police Officers are now apparently Warehouse Operatives, someone has put a very wrong SOC Code on this...

Now, those who lecture me on looking for jobs properly need to learn how to do their job properly, this will be getting mentioned to the DWP office tomorrow responsible...

Don't you just love the 'wonderful' staff at the DWP?

Especially when they lecture you on how to look for temporary summer work...

Attachments

• Directgov jobs and skills search - Job details Wonderful SOC Coding.pdf
    75.1 KB · Views: 67
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Evidently not or they wouldn't have coded something that should be 9260 (Elementary Storage Occupations) as 1172 (Senior Police Officers)...

Yes, it's bad that I know these off hand isn't it?

Unless you mean why is a senior police officer coded in the 17 subgroup, it's just what the ONS and UN agreed to as their international standard for Standard Occupational Coding (SOC2010).

The SOC Manual for the UK is Here in some detail and here for the index.

Clip

Established Member
Wow. A human has made an error and it wasnt picked up and entered the system wrong.

I bet that person wished to high heaven that they were as perfect as you.

Nym

Established Member
Clip, coding a 9260 as 9279 is something that one could put down to a common mistake, but if someone codes a job that is at minimum wage as 1xxx, 2xxx or 3xxx and this isn't picked up by a common sense check when entering the number, they should be considering a different occupation.

If you've spent any time looking at these codes more than once or twice, or alternatively had any proper training in how to use the SOC Coding Structure it would be as much as an obvious mistake as putting a widescreen tele through on a till as button mushrooms...!

Clip

Established Member
I do data entry most days through my job and when there is a load of it even I make simple mistakes too and in fact only the other day I even made a large mistake incorrectly correcting a staff error. It happens.

Staring at computer screens and inputting data for 7 hours a day must get very tiring for the people who do such a job and I cant imagine it being very rewarding either. Maybe they were looking at the wrong thing in front of them for a previous or next entry when they done so. Nowt to get quite sarcastic at them for it.

Just make sure you dont make any errors when your at work. I mean asking about living in London when really you wanted Watford or St Albans or even that great London enclave of Gravesend isnt quite the same is it mr perfect?

Nym

Established Member
Just make sure you dont make any errors when your at work. I mean asking about living in London when really you wanted Watford or St Albans or even that great London enclave of Gravesend isnt quite the same is it mr perfect?

If you want to start on that, for fear of this post being deleted...

I asked about the Greater London TTW area...

And I used to do such a job, on 12 hour shifts... And never made such a mistake...

Also, amazed you're still hung up on that, did I affect your life that much?

Lrd

Established Member
And I used to do such a job, on 12 hour shifts... And never made such a mistake...
How do you know that you never made a mistake? If no one else spotted it then it will go unnoticed, until people like you make silly posts on a rail forum about it.

You made a simple mistake in your 'location' (below your picture, over there <<<<D, you never noticed it so does that mean it didn't happen?

Chew Chew

They should sack whoever made the error and employ you instead Nym.

Knowing that you'll never make a mistake will give them great peace of mind.

Clip

Established Member
If you want to start on that, for fear of this post being deleted...

I asked about the Greater London TTW area...

Also, amazed you're still hung up on that, did I affect your life that much?

Im not hung up on it. Just telling you that you're not perfect either. And your thread title never mentioned any of the Greater London area and in fact it isnt until near the end of the post that you mention anywhere in Greater London, of which Watford and St Albans are still not part of and neither is Gravesend.

People in glasshouses Nym.

Nym

Established Member
How do you know that you never made a mistake? If no one else spotted it then it will go unnoticed, until people like you make silly posts on a rail forum about it.

You made a simple mistake in your 'location' (below your picture, over there <<<<D, you never noticed it so does that mean it didn't happen?

Because I was employed to check other people's mistakes and mis-codes on a 4/5 voting system and my work was checked by two other expert coders on different shifts and came back with the highest level of precision possible. Not every employer simply trusts the judgement of someone being paid £6.70/hour to do data entry and coding.

They should sack whoever made the error and employ you instead Nym.

Knowing that you'll never make a mistake will give them great peace of mind.

No, just no. The only money I want from the DWP is what I'm legally entitled to and doesn't involve working with any of the blithering idiots...

As a side note, where have I said in this thread that I wouldn't make A mistake? Only actually implying that making this mistake is idiotic.

Im not hung up on it. Just telling you that you're not perfect either. And your thread title never mentioned any of the Greater London area and in fact it isnt until near the end of the post that you mention anywhere in Greater London, of which Watford and St Albans are still not part of and neither is Gravesend.

People in glasshouses Nym.

I seem to remember someone arguing the toss over if it is possible to live off £450/month, and as you know, titles can be deceptive and need to be kept short. Either way, you do appear to be denying a self evident truth in your post here, you evidently are hung up on this as you remember details from a posting in February...

Chew Chew

No, just no. The only money I want from the DWP is what I'm legally entitled to and doesn't involve working with any of the blithering idiots...

Insulting DWP workers by calling them blithering idiots now, nice. :roll:

As a side note, where have I said in this thread that I wouldn't make A mistake? Only actually implying that making this mistake is idiotic.

It isn't idiotic at all, someone has made a human error, it happens so get over it.

You have to wonder from your posts if your attitude is something to do with why you are signing on?

As for mistakes, you might want to update your spelling of basement in your location.

Nym

Established Member
You have to wonder from your posts if your attitude is something to do with why you are signing on?

I know exactly why I'm signing on and its far from that I'm unemployable...

I'm sure some other members of the forum are also aware as to why.

You might want to look at your own attidude with regards to presumptions... hmmm?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Guys, this is starting to get personal - the topic needs to go back on topic now please, or it will be locked.

David

Established Member
Like every other government department, and all companies in the world, mistakes can and do happen. However ....

It's the magnitude of the error that's the deciding factor, and in the grand scheme of things, this wasn't a big error.

However, the DWP stranding someone in Norfolk as they incorrectly did not pay them is a different matter ....<(

Nym

Established Member
Yeah, things like that have happened many a time..

I remember once someone going to sign on on the correct date and being told it's the wrong week, resulting in payments stopping for 6 weeks until it's sorted, and they actually requested the CCTV coverage to prove they'd attempted to sign but could not as the advisor did not let them as it's "Not their week".

Or instances where they have passed on tenancy details to the LA and rather than sending the rent per calender month, they sent the same figure as weekly.

There's so many more like this...

(Not to mention paying JSA to some people for life who aren't trying to find work and giving a hard time to those who are)

AlexS

Established Member
You are, of course, assuming that the DWP themselves uploaded this vacancy? Thanks to the ever increasing automation of the Universe, it seems, many DWP job vacancies are now uploaded to DirectGov by the employer themselves. All it needs is for the employer to select the wrong drop down box (or a DWP employee if it was one placed by them) and the system will pick the wrong SOC code.

It's not exactly the end of the world. Rather than bitching about it on the internet, why not try telling them you've noticed it's wrong and they will no doubt arrange for it to be corrected.

As for payments - alas for people claiming benefits it doesn't go right 100% of the time. However the majority of the millions of payments made every week are correct. I've been mispaid by my employer before and I had to tell them and wait for them to correct it. C'est la vie.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You are, of course, assuming that the DWP themselves uploaded this vacancy? Thanks to the ever increasing automation of the Universe, it seems, many DWP job vacancies are now uploaded to DirectGov by the employer themselves. All it needs is for the employer to select the wrong drop down box (or a DWP employee if it was one placed by them) and the system will pick the wrong SOC code.

You are correct. Vacancies in my own organisation are uploaded automatically to DirectGov, without, I believe, any human involvement whatsoever.

As I don't know anything about SOC codes, I can't comment on how they might be alocated by the system, nor have I ever checked that our vacancies have an appropriate code when they appear on DirectGov.

AlexS

Established Member
As a one time vacancy clerk for the DWP I know exactly how the system works - unfortunately there isn't much human input there now! You can still place vacancies through a human being by telephone, but largely it is done using this service, by the business themselves - http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdot....l1=1073858787&r.l2=1097343101&r.s=e&type=PIP .

I work on the railways nowadays admittedly but didn't leave very long ago, although I did stop working on job vacancies 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.