• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rapido Trains announces "Titfield Thunderbolt" Range - 1.4.2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
And no - this isn't an elaborate April Fools prank - it was announced at 1201 :)

From https://rapidotrains.co.uk/the-titfield-thunderbolt-70th-anniversary-range/:

The Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range​

“We want the Titfield Thunderbolt!” – Rapido Trains UK launches range of The Titfield Thunderbolt models with FIVE new 1:76 scale models fully licensed by STUDIOCANAL.
7.png

Image courtesy of STUDIOCANAL
Rapido Trains UK is delighted to reveal a range of models inspired by The Titfield Thunderbolt that will be available in time to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the film’s release in 2023. These will be the most accurate The Titfield Thunderbolt models ever produced and are being developed with full co-operation of STUDIOCANAL, which owns the rights to this seminal railway film.
Pic-9-1024x663.jpg

Work in progress CAD image of Lion.
The Titfield Thunderbolt tells the story of group of villagers determined to save their branch line after British Railways announces its closure. When a rival bus company sabotages the newly acquired train prior to an official inspection, the villagers resurrect the line’s first locomotive, Thunderbolt, and, against great odds, obtain permission to keep their line open.
LLD-2-Grey-1024x468.png
Work in progress CAD image of Thunderbolt, Loriot Y and Dan’s House.
The story was inspired by the group of enthusiasts, led by Tom Rolt, who took over the 2ft 3in gauge Talyllyn Railway in 1951 and thus kick-started the railway preservation movement. The film was the first of Ealing Studios’ famous ‘Ealing comedies’ to be filmed in colour and it was released in March 1953.
We will produce five new ‘OO’ gauge models:
  • Thunderbolt, aka Liverpool & Manchester Railway 0-4-2 Lion
  • The Buffet Car, aka Great Eastern Railway Diagram 603 No. 8
  • No. W68740, GWR Diagram AA20 ‘Toad’ brakevan
  • ‘Dan’s House’, aka GWR ‘Loriot Y’ No. 41989 with fictitious Victorian coach body
  • Pearce & Crump’s coach GAM338, aka Bedford OB with Duple Vista body
Titfield-Pic-7-J-Kindred-1024x768.jpg
Photo courtesy of J Kindred.
Our Titfield models will be available in three packs:
  • Pack 1 (SKU922001) is a standard pack, containing Thunderbolt, ‘Dan’s House’ and Loriot Y with No. W68740.
  • Pack 2 (SKU922002) is a deluxe pack, containing sound-fitted Thunderbolt, Dan’s House and Loriot with W67840 plus 4mm:1ft scale figures and commemorative booklet.
  • Pack 3 (SKU922003) contains the Buffet Car and No. W68740, plus 4mm:1ft scale figures.
  • The Bedford OB will be available as a standalone model in full Pearce & Crump livery (SKU920001).
Work is well underway with Lion, Loriot Y and ‘Dan’s House’ at an advanced stage of development.
All models will be in stock by March 6 2023, the 70th anniversary of the film’s release, although it is expected that some models will be available during 2022.
Titfield-Pic-3-1024x828.jpg
We couldn’t resist some fun – so we 3D printed the WIP CAD file and hand painted it to give a taste of what might be possible.
All models, including film and non-film versions will be available direct from Rapido Trains UK or through Rapido Trains UK stockists.
Identities and guises for non-Titfield models – as well as prices for all models – are still to be confirmed.
Poster-1-1024x763.jpg

Personally I'm really looking forward to what the models will look like. Apparently they're expected to be released in 2022 and will definitely be out by 2023, in time for the 70th anniversary of the film. I wonder how the model of Lion will compare to Hornby's? I expect the Rapido one will probably be the better of the two if they're LNER tram and APT-E are anything to go by.

Thoughts anyone?

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
According to May's 'Hornby Magazine', which arrived two days ago, Hornby had announced that they were planning to introduce a model of 'Lion' in 2022. I thought it a bid odd they were announcing it so far in advance - I can see why now!

Peter C

Established Member
According to May's 'Hornby Magazine', which arrived two days ago, Hornby had announced that they were planning to introduce a model of 'Lion' in 2022. I thought it a bid odd they were announcing it so far in advance - I can see why now!
Ah interesting - I didn't know they were planning to release it so far in advance: thanks for sharing. It is a bit odd that the two companies are now going to be producing models of the same engine for the same occasion!

-Peter

SCH117X

Established Member
Not been impressed by Hornbys models for some time; they might look fine but if you are actually running them and having to maintain them then their is the sheer fragility and brittleness of many parts due to their persistence in using plastic where metal parts would be appropriate. Also the awful fragility of the loco / tender wiring connection on Rocket which would indicate a complete lack of adequate development and testing. Add to that the scarcity of spare parts and complete lack of many (compare with Heljan who have seemingly almost every bit of a body available as a spare). The packaging also will be a factor as it looks that Lion/Thunderbolt will be difficult to work on upside down and it should be such that that can be carried out easily - a plastic wrap style in comparison to the foam of Rockets packaging. The newsletter Rapido have issued indicates they will be fitting tension locks which will automatically cause people to look to the Hornby model if they want to use with the Rocket rolling stock but it would be relatively simple to form the necessary peg for the Rapido one in a cut down coupling using a drill and suitable length of wire or a a chopped pin. Think its a case of wait and see what actually turns up unless you just want to stick it a display case.

Peter C

Established Member
Not been impressed by Hornbys models for some time; they might look fine but if you are actually running them and having to maintain them then their is the sheer fragility and brittleness of many parts due to their persistence in using plastic where metal parts would be appropriate. Also the awful fragility of the loco / tender wiring connection on Rocket which would indicate a complete lack of adequate development and testing. Add to that the scarcity of spare parts and complete lack of many (compare with Heljan who have seemingly almost every bit of a body available as a spare). The packaging also will be a factor as it looks that Lion/Thunderbolt will be difficult to work on upside down and it should be such that that can be carried out easily - a plastic wrap style in comparison to the foam of Rockets packaging. The newsletter Rapido have issued indicates they will be fitting tension locks which will automatically cause people to look to the Hornby model if they want to use with the Rocket rolling stock but it would be relatively simple to form the necessary peg for the Rapido one in a cut down coupling using a drill and suitable length of wire or a a chopped pin. Think its a case of wait and see what actually turns up unless you just want to stick it a display case.
I think we're of the same mind on this one. Most of my engines are Hornby, and even then, most of them are older models. Hornby still seem to think they're the only model railway company or the only one people buy things from: they sell high-priced basic models which have been around for years and expect newcomers to the hobby to just buy them. But that's a discussion for another thread. :)
I'm looking forward to seeing what both of the Lion models look like; as a guess at the moment, I'd say the Rapido one is probably going to be a better design as they've a track record (if you'll pardon the pun) of very good models. They've also announced they're producing non-Titfield versions of the models too, which will vastly increase their audience alongside the use of normal model railway couplings as opposed to the system Hornby used with their Rocket, which from what I've seen is a pain to use and makes a fragile model even more delicate and hard to work with.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.