• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rare Station Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan2019

What about the parliamentary train announcements like Peartree, Ardwick, British Steel Redcar etc?

Just remembered, isn't the first Northern train from Stoke-On-Trent to Manchester the only one per day that continues to Blackpool North so a rare announcement?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-2739

Established Member
I thought i heard it at Barnsley , must of been hearing things.
Not hearing things, they did indeed exist at Barnsley, but I've not heard it for around 5-6 years. It must have been activated during the period that Phil Sayer was still the station announcer.

SteveM70

Established Member
Vaguely apropos this.....should station announcements be in the local accent? Obviously not too heavily accented, but in Glasgow Central for example the automated announcements are in a mild (to me) Scottish accent, whereas at Victoria we now have the slightly plummy accented voice which sounds out of place

route101

Established Member
Not hearing things, they did indeed exist at Barnsley, but I've not heard it for around 5-6 years. It must have been activated during the period that Phil Sayer was still the station announcer.

This was last year !

AndyW33

Back in BR days, with manual announcements, there was an announcer at Manchester Victoria who liked to announce "The European" (Glasgow-Harwich at the time, it changed a lot year on year) with all the advertised connections on the Continent, right through to Moscow, ending up with a final flourish of "The train at platform 12 is for Moscow". I suppose technically it was...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They don’t pronounce Alnmouth right at Southampton once a day...
They don't recognise the existence of Alnmouth, pronounced whichever way, at Penzance ticket office, even though there are daily direct trains. I tried to book a ticket from a very long-serving member of staff, and he confessed to never having heard of the place!

philthetube

Established Member
I was in Lancaster managers office a few years back and watched a staff member type in an announcement for a Virgin service and hit enter and it was announced immediately on the platforms, must have been something special about it I imagine

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Indeed, ATOS Anne is being replaced by Celia Drummond across the Northern network, which is a most desirable scenario with the number of TOCs using Anne right now.

That's the end of hearing Tod Morden, Carsel ton and Gooooole then. :(

Other rare annoucements can also include any station which still uses the late Phil Sayer (either solely or with Celia Drummond).

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I thought i heard it at Barnsley , must of been hearing things.

The bing bong bing chime use to be heard all over South Yorkshire, when Northern (Serco Albellio) referbished the PIS at Brighouse, Halifax and at Bradford Interchange the chime was already programmed in so you also started to hear it in West Yorkshire too.

The last time I heard the chime used in West Yorkshire must have been in late 2016.

Doomotron

When Southeastern ran trains on that one day into Waterloo, I presume some stations along the line would get that station on the announcements the only time they've had the system.

greaterwest

Established Member
Thankfully the Ditra system that was at Waterloo had every station in Mainland Britain in the system so announced those trains with no problem.

TheWalrus

Established Member
This includes the Crewe-Swansea vie HOWL and pronunciation seems pretty accurate.

route101

Established Member
The bing bong bing chime use to be heard all over South Yorkshire, when Northern (Serco Albellio) referbished the PIS at Brighouse, Halifax and at Bradford Interchange the chime was already programmed in so you also started to hear it in West Yorkshire too.

The last time I heard the chime used in West Yorkshire must have been in late 2016.

Is it still used ?

Northern seem to have new announcements , im sure its old BR lady though.

Parallel

Established Member
That's the end of hearing Tod Morden, Carsel ton and Gooooole then. :(.

You will still be able to hear ‘Tod Morrrden’ and ‘Myth-olm-royd’ at Chester, voiced by Ruth instead of Anne.

Llandudno and Pontarddulais are a bit off.
I believe Anne’s Heart of Wales stations were fairly recently recorded, probably just prior to the ATOS system being rolled out by Virgin Trains

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I think you're getting a bit confused. Celia says it like that, not Anne. So you'll hear it more, not less.

I've read greater west's post wrong, I read it as Anne was replacing Celia.

I do have to say that thankfully Dysopian Anne is disapearing from Northern but I can't help thinking that on some stations Northern should re-roll out late Phil Sayer to provide alternate platform annoucements in the former Southern style - now that would be a rarity!

Obviously this can only work on some lines as there isn't a recording of him annoucing Ilkeston, Low Moor, Kirkstall Forge or Apperley Bridge - however a cut and shut of other annoucements could be achieved from exisiting recordings and using soundalikes. Either that or get GWR Rodger in the system too, it'd be very interesting hearing him pronoucing Slaithwaite, Frizinghall, Brighouse, Brockholes and Ulleskelf.

One other rarity (for me at least) is hearing GWR Rodger warbling away at Temple Meads, as its mostly Dysopian Anne.

Status
Not open for further replies.