• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rayners Lane sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim B

I was born and brought up in North Harrow and lived there until 1975. I always remember at Rayners Lane station 4 sidings behind the Uxbridge direction (Up?) plaform. I seem to remember coal wagons often being left there though why they would be delivering coal to an electrified underground line I cannot imagine.

Visiting the station again last week I was amazed to see 2 of the sidings still in place, still unelectrified, between the platform and the car park. Anyone have any idea what they are now used for ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavyCrocket

They are not connected to the main line. Only the reversing siding twixst the running lines is.

Daniel

Established Member
Indeed, they have been removed from the diagram in the signal cabin, and there are no route switches associated with them.

Metrailway

I was born and brought up in North Harrow and lived there until 1975. I always remember at Rayners Lane station 4 sidings behind the Uxbridge direction (Up?) plaform. I seem to remember coal wagons often being left there though why they would be delivering coal to an electrified underground line I cannot imagine.

Visiting the station again last week I was amazed to see 2 of the sidings still in place, still unelectrified, between the platform and the car park. Anyone have any idea what they are now used for ?

Trains used to deliver coal to local coal merchants. The siding was also used for the reversal of coal trains heading to South Harrow Gasworks. After coal traffic ended it was used for engineering trains until the connection with the main line was removed

Status
Not open for further replies.