• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Razor blades allegedly stuck to the back of posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

davido39

Much as I have no time for the anti-vaccers, it is probably only one or two extremists who would otherwise be objecting in an extreme way to something else. The great majority of the anti-vaccers just continue their (in my opinion) ridiculous behaviour in a relatively peaceful fashion. It is still unpleasant.
You're comment makes no sense. If these so called "Anti Vaxxers" continued their ridiculous behavior in a relatively peaceful manner why would it be unpleasant, surely being peaceful is the opposite of unpleasant?

Which corner? Just as likely to be people attempting to discredit an opponent.

Before anyone jumps in, I am a double jabbed pro vaxxer who still wears a mask in most locations.

Is there no limit to human wickedness?

In the Guardian today:

And you're taking this as Gospel from a well established state sponsored outlet? Ever heard of propaganda which The Guardian has absolutely bucket load's of!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
You're comment makes no sense. If these so called "Anti Vaxxers" continued their ridiculous behavior in a relatively peaceful manner why would it be unpleasant, surely being peaceful is the opposite of unpleasant?

And you're taking this as Gospel from a well established state sponsored outlet? Ever heard of propaganda which The Guardian has absolutely bucket load's of!

If it's true that TfL staff have been warned in this way, then the Guardian isn't propagandising, it's simply reporting. If the warning is seen as propaganda, then it's propaganda by Tfl not by the Guardian.

NB - is the Guardian "state-sponsored"? Guardian journalists who've been prosecuted/hassled by the authorities for their work might find this an interesting notion.

Sebastian O

Great work for those finding out this is a hoax. We’ve been through enough fake news, positive critical thinking going on a by a lot of people in this thread.

mr_moo

I can also confirm this kind of stuff does happen - I'm railway staff and a collegue found (about a year ago now) a railway access padlock with used needles glued on to it. Lovely. It does seem thankfully rare, but there are some terrible people out there.

Typhoon

Established Member
I can confirm that this has happened in some instances. I work at an NHS vaccination centre in East London, and we have found a number of these posters stuck up around the area near our centre. I can't comment on the veracity of this particular claim obviously, but it sounds very plausible to me.
These posters got some publicity about a month ago West Malling group warns of Covid anti-vaccination razor blade trap and ID scam (kentonline.co.uk)

A patient group has issued a warning after anti-vaccination protestors taped razor blades behind conspiracy posters, injuring clinic staff as they tore them down.

The West Malling Practice Patient Participation Group said it was the latest in a series of incidents in which staff have been abused.
My Practice had already received a warning from NHS England. How prevalent this is I have no idea, and it may be overblown. but one is two too many.

davido39

If it's true that TfL staff have been warned in this way, then the Guardian isn't propagandising, it's simply reporting. If the warning is seen as propaganda, then it's propaganda by Tfl not by the Guardian.

NB - is the Guardian "state-sponsored"? Guardian journalists who've been prosecuted/hassled by the authorities for their work might find this an interesting notion.
Can you explain this report that has turned out to be fake news then, please?

Typhoon

Established Member
Yes a right wing anti-vaccine blogger, must be right then.
The truth is probably somewhere inbetween.

This is from Fact-checking the misinformation about Oklahoma hospitals and ivermectin - KTVZ. (author:CNN Newsource)

On Monday, another hospital where McElyea works, INTEGRIS Grove Hospital, said in a statement that “what we can confirm is that we have seen a handful of ivermectin patients in our emergency rooms.” The hospital added: “And while our hospitals are not filled with people who have taken ivermectin, such patients are adding to the congestion already caused by COVID-19 and other emergencies.” In a follow-up message Monday night, hospital spokesperson Kristi Wallace said they had no beds available that night.

So there is some corroboration for the things McElyea actually said. And though, once more, there is no basis for the viral claim that ivermectin overdoses are driving hospital congestion in Oklahoma, it’s possible that ivermectin is playing some role.

“While we are aware that hospitals across the state are currently struggling with capacity issues, the hospital association does not receive reports on specific medical issues,” Oklahoma Hospital Association Patti Davis said in an email on Monday.
There are two quotes by named hospital officials.

The Guardian article reads:
“The [emergency rooms] are so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated.

“Ambulances are stuck at the hospital waiting for a bed to open so they can take the patient in and they don’t have any, that’s it. If there’s no ambulance to take the call, there’s no ambulance to come to the call.”
That is not inconsistent with the statements above. The main problem with The Guardian article is the word 'deluge', regarding accuracy the finger points at the headline writer rather than the author of the story.

Regarding Ms Attkisson's contribution (in #38), according to the US Food and Drug Administration(FDA)'s website:
.Janssen is the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) vaccine. So although the J&J and Moderna vaccines are not FDA-Approved, they are authorized unlike the horse de-wormer. Her statement about Ivermectin for adults can be challenged, the FDA say:
  • The FDA has not authorized or approved ivermectin for use in preventing or treating COVID-19 in humans or animals. Ivermectin is approved for human use to treat infections caused by some parasitic worms and head lice and skin conditions like rosacea.
I reckon that that makes her statement that
Like two of the Covid-19 vaccines used in the U.S. (Johnson and Johnson and Moderna), ivermectin is not FDA approved to treat Covid-19. Ivermectin is approved to treat parasites. However, so called "off-label" prescription of drugs for other purposes is common --and legal.
is both misleading and potentially dangerous. And although she is right that the doctor had not worked in that hospital for some time, he clearly works at other hospitals (see first quote), he is probably some sort of locum.

So Guardian article 7.5/10 (largely accurate once the correction is included, headline 2/10. Rebutta (Attkisson) 3/10.

chorleyjeff

Which corner? Just as likely to be people attempting to discredit an opponent.

Before anyone jumps in, I am a double jabbed pro vaxxer who still wears a mask in most locations.
Are you one of the folk driving around by yourself wearing a face covering ? There is absolutely no point in wearing a mask outdoors other than a bit of virtue signalling. The govt. scare tactics re covid are, apparently, still scaring people.

MattRat

On Moderation
Are you one of the folk driving around by yourself wearing a face covering ? There is absolutely no point in wearing a mask outdoors other than a bit of virtue signalling. The govt. scare tactics re covid are, apparently, still scaring people.
I didn't get that feeling from them at all. If anything they come across as a bit of a fence sitter, trying to please everyone and pleasing no one.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Can you explain this report that has turned out to be fake news then, please?

I don't understand - I was referring to the story (the topic of this thread) about razor blades being stuck behind anti-vaxxer posters. It was suggested that the Guardian's running of this story was propaganda. I was making the (surely irrefutable) point that it the newspaper was reporting the claims accurately, then the propaganda (if such it were) came from those making the claims, not those accurately reporting the existence of the claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.